Linking multiple dictionaries failure

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
jaredaseltzer

Linking multiple dictionaries failure

Post by jaredaseltzer »

I love this software, but I've been experiencing an annoying phenomenon.
Tell me if this happens to anyone else, or if I can do something to resolve it.

The Issue:
I want to use two dictionaries at once (Mickelson and KJC). With one BibleView window and two DictionaryView windows open, I click on a strongs number within the BibleView, but only one dictionary (Mickelson) displays the content. The second dictionary window remains unchanged. If I un-link the first dictionary (by toggling the "link" toolbar button), then the second dictionary works as expected.

Whether I interchange the modules between the two windows or also if I last activate either window before clicking a strongs number, it produces the same results.

If I change the dictionaries to something else (like BDB and HOTC), then once I click on a strongs number, the last dictionary to have focus changes to Mickelson, and the second window remains unchanged.

Commentaries do not behave this way. I can have two commentaries open, and both update as I scroll from verse to verse.

My Settings:
Mickelson's is set as my default Strong's dictionary.
The link button is selected in both dictionary windows (plus "Link Dictionaries...", "Commentaries", and "if inactive" in the related dropdown menu as well).
On "Word Click Options", all five boxes are checked
On "Word Lookup Dictionaries", I've tried both checking and unchecking "Lookup words in dictionaries as mouse moves over Bible viewer", and when checked, selecting all dictionaries that I want to use. I even tried using "Separate Dictionary sets" to no avail.

I am using The Word version 5.0.0.1450 on a Windows 7 64-bit PC.
So what can be done?
Attachments
3WordClickOptions.png
3WordClickOptions.png (73.08 KiB) Viewed 2507 times
2WordLookupDictionaries.png
2WordLookupDictionaries.png (86.32 KiB) Viewed 2507 times
1StrongsNumbers.png
1StrongsNumbers.png (85.34 KiB) Viewed 2507 times
Last edited by jaredaseltzer on Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gerhard

Re: Linking multiple dictionaries failure

Post by Gerhard »

A simple solution - are you aware that you can run more than one instance of theWord at the same time? However - Dictionaries are not commentaries and behave differently. Open two instances of the program and use two different dictionaries. Better still just click on another dictionary like the rest of us do for an alternative view or opinion.
JG

Post by JG »

@jaredaseltzer
To achieve the multi sync you want, you need to use a Bible such as the KJV where the Strong's numbers can be "hidden". The setting for this is in the Bible view options -> Strong's numbers -> "Show no link, just show in a popup the Strong's entry when mouse hovers over each word (if supported by module, else standard options apply) - SHIFT+S to toggle
Now when you click on a word it will fire a sync event to both the actual word, and any Strong's , lemma, and morphology that exists.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
jaredaseltzer

Post by jaredaseltzer »

Thanks JG, That works just fine. I appreciate the reply.