Foreign-laguage abbreviations

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
Hg

Foreign-laguage abbreviations

Post by Hg »

Hi Costas!

There is something, I wanted to tell you for quite a while, but I allways forget:

The Word 3 beta doesn't accept "foreign"-language abbreviations for the bibel books: E.g. in German the Revelation is usually abbreviated Off(b). However, neither the Clipboard-Monitor nor the "verse-input" do accept this (the same applies for the pentateuch etc.) However, this worked perfectly fine with the old version 2, so I was wondering whether this is a bug, or just something not implemented, yet?

It would be great to have this feature back, because, evidently, I read quite a lot in German ;)

Thanks!
Hg
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hello Hg,
this is no problem with ver.3: the german translation is not there yet, that's all.
But you can fix this for now: just download the german.lng file from here:
http://download.theword.gr/bin/beta.tmp/german.lng
and copy it to the program's folder and restart the program. You will now have what you want.
Tell me if it works
Costas
Hg

Post by Hg »

Hello Costas,

It works perfectly fine! Thanks for the quick and easy solution! :D

There are two things I would like to mention, but before I do this, I want to emphasisze that I'm not complaining! I know the programm is in the beta-version, yet, and it's pretty obvious that the translation isn't ready, yet. I just think, it might be the best, to report problems as early as ever possible:

Just for fun I tried the German-language-file and there are two "bugs":
  1. The menu-item "View -> Bible Tree" remains German, even after changing back to the English interface (so, it's now "View -> Bibel Baum"). As far as I can see, that's the only item, where this happend. Even after changing to Greek and then back to English doesn't change this menu item.

I also checked the english.lng-File and found the following lines (before & after closing TheWord):

Code: Select all

#View menu
    actViewBibleTree.Caption='Bible &tree'
    so I'm really surprised about this. I also tried to restart the programm but it didn't help.

Then I tried the following:
    1. I substituted 'Bible &tree' with rubbish (e.g. kasjlfkj)
    2. I restarted TheWord: Now I saw rubbish in the menu
    3. I re-substituted the rubbish by 'Bible &tree'
    4. I restarted TheWord and everything is fine, now...
  2. I apologise for saying it so rudely, but I think it's neccessary to say that the translation is just horrible :cry:
    There are no (obvious) typos (i.e. I didn't find one), but some words nobody would use in the context they are used, and other things that just don't "sound smooth" - typical "foreigner's mistakes"

I'm really sorry about my rudeness, but I think its better to be honest...
I hope I didn't offend someone

Yours
Michael
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hg wrote: It works perfectly fine! Thanks for the quick and easy solution! :D
Great.
There are two things I would like to mention, but before I do this, I want to emphasisze that I'm not complaining! I know the programm is in the beta-version, yet, and it's pretty obvious that the translation isn't ready, yet. I just think, it might be the best, to report problems as early as ever possible:
Don't worry, "iron sharpens iron"!
Just for fun I tried the German-language-file and there are two "bugs":
  1. The menu-item "View -> Bible Tree" remains German, even after changing back to the English interface (so, it's now "View -> Bibel Baum"). As far as I can see, that's the only item, where this happend. Even after changing to Greek and then back to English doesn't change this menu item.

I also checked the english.lng-File and found the following lines (before & after closing TheWord):

Code: Select all

#View menu
    actViewBibleTree.Caption='Bible &tree'
    so I'm really surprised about this. I also tried to restart the programm but it didn't help.

Then I tried the following:
    1. I substituted 'Bible &tree' with rubbish (e.g. kasjlfkj)
    2. I restarted TheWord: Now I saw rubbish in the menu
    3. I re-substituted the rubbish by 'Bible &tree'
    4. I restarted TheWord and everything is fine, now...
Well, the problem here is that the german.lng file i sent you is just the one of version 2, converted in UTF8 (new .lng files are unicode). So, the german.lng file you got has nothing to do with ver.3. This means that only a few items work...
In the case that you brought up the problem is that the "mnuViewBibleTree" should be replaced by "actViewBibleTree"! If you do that, it will work as expected (if you notice, english.lng of ver.3 has no "mnuViewBibleTree")!
[*] I apologise for saying it so rudely, but I think it's neccessary to say that the translation is just horrible :cry:
There are no (obvious) typos (i.e. I didn't find one), but some words nobody would use in the context they are used, and other things that just don't "sound smooth" - typical "foreigner's mistakes"

I'm really sorry about my rudeness, but I think its better to be honest...[/list]
I hope I didn't offend someone
I am sure you didn't!
This is a really good point and thank you for bringing it up. Unfortunately i don't know german and i cannot check this, but what i will do is to publish in the beta area the several translations as they are being prepared so mistakes like this one can be corrected. I can't think of any other way to do this!
Thanks Michael,
Costas
johannes

Post by johannes »

Hi Michael,

the german translation of TW is already in work. But as long as TW isn't stable it won't be published.

See also the german thread: http://forum.theword.gr/viewtopic.php?t=40

Greetings,
Johannes
Hg

Post by Hg »

csterg wrote:Unfortunately i don't know german and i cannot check this, but what i will do is to publish in the beta area the several translations as they are being prepared so mistakes like this one can be corrected. I can't think of any other way to do this!
I know, how difficult it is to translate something into a foreign language. So, for a foreigner the translation isn't bad at all ;)

I even thought about offering help, but then I realized there is no time for this, at all (Johannes probably knows I'm neglecting other duties as well ...)

Anyway: The program is great! :)

@Johannes: On my computer TW is perfectly "stable" - but I know what you mean ;)

Kind regards
Michael
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

I am sure that as the final version is being worked out, we will have the possibility to fix issues likes that. I know myself that it is some times difficult to translate some words in a different language and use the proper computer "argo" for this.

I do the translation in Greek myself and, although i am Greek, it is not always very easy to find a proper word.
Costas
HartmutP

Post by HartmutP »

Hg wrote: I know, how difficult it is to translate something into a foreign language. So, for a foreigner the translation isn't bad at all ;)
:oops: I thought Lelu and me are native speaking germans :wink: ...

I made the first translation for TW2, Lelu is doing the enhancements to TW3. So it would be very kind to point out what you don´t like, and please make suggestions! One important point may alllredy be decided: further translation will be done in a "neutral form", means no direct adressing with "du" or "sie". But this is giving sometimes some hardnesses...

My suggestion would be, that we start a seperate thread regarding this issue in the german section of the forum.

Kind regards -
Hartmut
core

Post by core »

Hello Hartmut and Lelu :lol: ,

thanks Hartmut for the thread. Just click here or on the button below to get there. :D

#####
#####
#####
#####

Warm regards,
Core