Paid modules available

From here you can check the latest version of the software and related apps (e.g. Importer utillity). New add-on modules will be announced here also (Bibles, commentaries, dictionaries, etc)
csterg
Site Admin

Paid modules available

Post by csterg »

A new section at the site provides now access to modules that are available for a fee.
The first module to be made available is the NET Bible along with the full notes set.

Paid modules are listed in the 'modules downloads' in green.
With time, more paid modules (some of which have been requested) will become available,

Costas
DMcFadden

Re: Paid modules available

Post by DMcFadden »

Costas,

Thanks! Since I cannot convert my e-Source mods to theWord, this is a welcome sign.
Jay Fuzzell

Post by Jay Fuzzell »

Costas,

Thanks! Since I cannot convert my e-Source mods to theWord, this is a welcome sign.
Your issue will impact a lot of people if a large number of users start switching from e-sword to theWord, and I'm of the belief that this could happen. The copyright holders certainly have the right to do as they wish, but I think they would be wise to assist users that have purchased their product previously. A way to do so would be to encourage people such a Costas to convert modules for users that wish to switch from a competing software program. If, for example, Costas received $10 for each module he converted, he could split what he received with the various copyright holders. This would raise money that Costas needs for future product development, be helpful to the copyright holders, and most users would feel they were being treated fairly. If any of the copyright holders would like to give me a few dollars for suggesting this, that would also be satisfactory.
wnpaul

Post by wnpaul »

The suggestion of Costas converting modules (I suppose you mean encrypted ones) is problematic, because if a publisher does not want his text used with a particular Bible program, for Costas to convert it for a user is legally no different from distributing it on the web page -- not permitted.

It is also problematic from an ethics perspective, when it comes to e-Sword modules, because e-Sword's author is on record as being opposed to such tools.

Much better to lobby the publishers.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Let me add some comments here to be clear please.
For each copyrighted module, a separate contract with a publisher needs to be signed. Having the module in eSword or any other Bible program does no good. The reason the the Importer can import eSword modules and not Logos (for example) modules, is because there are many user modules for eSword! I never intended to import copyrighted (or password protected) modules. This is a tool for those people who may prefer TW over eS and want an easy way to reuse public domain content.

I am doing my best here in all directions trying to be clear before the Lord and offer as much as i possibly can.

Costas
Jay Fuzzell

Post by Jay Fuzzell »

The suggestion of Costas converting modules (I suppose you mean encrypted ones) is problematic, because if a publisher does not want his text used with a particular Bible program, for Costas to convert it for a user is legally no different from distributing it on the web page -- not permitted.

It is also problematic from an ethics perspective, when it comes to e-Sword modules, because e-Sword's author is on record as being opposed to such tools.

Much better to lobby the publishers.
Thank you for your comments, but you misunderstood what I was suggesting. I'm aware that Costas nor anyone else can convert the modules without the permission of the copyright holders. What I recommended is for the copyright holders to share the revenues with people such as Costas for converting the modules. If I'm not mistaken, WordSearch has an arrangement where they will convert certain Quickverse modules when users switch to their software. I'm obviously unaware of the agreement, but I am certain the copyright holders are getting something out of it or they wouldn't allow WordSearch to convert the Quickverse modules.

I haven't really thought about the issue with e-Sword since it's of little importance. From a practical perspective, I'm not sure why anyone would want to protect a module that's in the public domain, but since the public domain modules can be easily obtained from other sources anyway, it makes no difference to me. Costas is a really nice person, but I'm quite confident he will choose not to convert public domain modules for free since it would be so time consuming.

I wish you luck if you plan to lobby the publishers. You seem like a bright and thoughtful person, so I hope you'll be more successful than others that have tried to lobby them in the past. As you indicated, the publishers control which bible study programs can use their modules. Since you mentioned ethics, is it really ethical for them to decide we can't use a bible translation in our preferred software program if we are willing to pay for it? Costas has worked on his software program for several years without pay. Why should the copyright holders get to determine how successful his program will be? Shouldn't users be the ones to determine what software will be successful?

Best wishes,

Jay