theWord patch for Windows 7 - failure to save user settings

From here you can check the latest version of the software and related apps (e.g. Importer utillity). New add-on modules will be announced here also (Bibles, commentaries, dictionaries, etc)
PastorDave

Re: theWord patch for Windows 7 - failure to save user settings

Post by PastorDave »

DarrelW,

What you said is absolutely correct for 64-bit versions of any version of Windows!

I just get tired sometimes of typing "(x86)" at the end. :)

32-bit = C:\Program Files (x86)

64-bit = C:\Program Files
PastorDave

Post by PastorDave »

First of all, I don't see a button in the forum to be able to quote text when I reply. Any reason why? I know it must be me. :)

Okay, I understand now what's what and why. The only question is, will I have to o into the program's setup to tell it where all of the files are now, after I move it?

As for program vs data, I turn off UAC anyway. :) And I didn't think about it like I do with MS Office, because I was thinking about other programs like Forte's Agent, for example, which asked me on install if I wanted the data and sub-folders with data in the program's folder, or under the Documents folder and I chose the program's folder and it works fine. So does my firewall program, which keeps its added data (like its program rules list that grows over time) there, as do other programs. But in general, you're right. Programs do use the Documents folders for data. But I didn't link it to the issue you described, because programmers started doing that started back with XP. :)

Anyway, I'll give it a try and let you know what happens and thanks. :)
PastorDave

Post by PastorDave »

Okay, here's what happened...

I copied all of the files for "The Word" (including all sub-folders) to a new folder, right off the root of C: which I named, "Bible - The Word" and so it is "C:\Bible - The Word".

I then uninstalled "The Word" from the "Program and Features" option in the Control Panel.

I then deleted the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\The Word" from my hard drive.

I then double checked the registry and removed all entries for "The Word" from it.

I then ran "Te Word" by double clicking on the file "theword.exe" and it ran fine and I verified that it had the right folders for the modules, by looking in: HELP >> ABOUT >> FILE LOCATIONS.

I then installed the update and browsed to the folder that I had copied the program to, which again, was "C:\Bible - The Word" and it seemed to install okay.

I then went to run it with the update installed and it said that I had not put any Bible modules in yet and asked me if I wanted to do that now, even though all of the modules of every type were copied over into the new folder already, in the exact structure they were in, in the old folder. I was very careful about this and verified it to be the case!

I left that box open and checked to see if the modules were still there in the new folder setup and they were still there and that means all of the modules (Bible, Commentaries, Dictionaries, etc.).

Plus you saw how I have it set up in the pic I emailed you, that showed you my folder setup within the program. Tae a look at that to see what was done and that is how it was in the new folder that I created.

I went back to the box and said "Yes", since saying "No" would exit it and it would run.

It slowly read the Bible modules, but when it came up, my whole config was gone and it didn't show my other types of modules (commentaries, dictionaries, etc.) and it looked nothing like it normally does (not how I had it set up).

I then copied my Config.Ini file into the new folder, since I had that backed up and tried running it again, with the same bad results.

So I'm sorry, but this method does not work and unless you have a quick and easy solution, I think you need to put the bug back in, since it does work under Win7 that way and all was well and make it so that this update and future updates will install like they did before this most recent update, which means that it automatically finds where the program is (you don't need to browse to it) and just updates it, even though all of the data is in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\The Word" folder and sub-folders under that folder, having done a compact install.

Again, unless you know of a quick fix that will make it so that it will come up configured the way I had it and update without hosing that up.
PastorDave

Post by PastorDave »

Costas,

Just a note about my comment to just put "the bug" back into the software.

Please think about it. I know that there are a number of people out there who have done it the same way that I have and have manually (after it was installed in Compact Mode the very first time) put the modules in sub-folders under the "C:\Program Files\The Word" folder.

So if you think about it, all that is going to happen by you fixing this "bug", is that they will not be able to update, without jumping through some hoops. And look at me. I followed your instructions to the letter and my config got hosed up! Thank God I use AyRecovery (a time machine for computer), so I'm right back where I was before attempting this! :)

But if you think about it Costas, what would it hurt to leave "the bug" in there? After all, only people who did what I did will take advantage of it and it will prevent us from having to jump through these hoops, only to have to struggle to get it work, amen?

Again, what will it hurt to put it back in there? And it will help idiots like me. :)

Just a quick question, too... Is it possible for a Compact install, to leave the program itself where it is and just move the modules? What I mean is, will "The Word" auto-search for them? Or if it won't, is there a way to manually tell it where they are? And will the new update then work?
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

The only thing that comes to mind is this:
When you use the installer to select a directory (e.g. c:\Bible - The Word) by browsing for this folder, the installer the puts a sub-folder automatically (The Word). This means that probably the installer put the updated files in a sub-folder name The Word in there (check it pls). I should somehow check and try to fix this to be honest.

Concerning custom module paths:
You can do it. Read here: http://www.theword.gr/manual/working_di ... e_conf.htm
First entry extra.paths. This will allow you to have any folder you want to be searchable.

I will see if i can check with the installer whether the UAC is on and allow/disallow installation under program files as you suggest.

Costas
PastorDave

Post by PastorDave »

> The only thing that comes to mind is this:
> When you use the installer to select a directory (e.g. c:\Bible - The Word)
> by browsing for this folder, the installer the puts a sub-folder automatically
> (The Word). This means that probably the installer put the updated files
> in a sub-folder name The Word in there

That's exactly what happened. :)

I got it now though. It's working fine. :) Same procedure, but I just put the rot of C: when I browsed and then changed the rest of what it added on its own.

> (check it pls).

Well, I couldn't just "check it". As I said, I run a time machine on my computer and I went back an hour, so what happened was gone and to my computer, never happened in the first place. :)

> I should somehow check and try to fix this to be honest.

Yes, you should. :)
PastorDave

Post by PastorDave »

One weird thing though... I just went to update my wife's laptop and the setup for the latest update won't run. I double click it, then see a quick flash of something and then nothing. It doesn't even try to come up after that. She runs XP Pro SP3.

I shut down everything that runs at startup, just in case, but still... nothing.

I tried downloading the file again, to see if maybe it had gotten corrupted somehow, but had the same results. It should be fine though, since I just downloaded it onto my machine just before hers and it worked fine on mine.

I never had a problem running updates on her machine before, so like I said, this is weird!

Any ideas??? Have you had any problems with it since this new version on XP?
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

The last 2 days i' ve had reports from user with problems downloading files (downloads get interrupted of files are corrupted). Maybe this is the cause?
Anyone else with download problems the last 2 days?
Costas
PastorDave

Post by PastorDave »

I did have that problem yesterday with the PDF help file. It took a few whacks at downloading it to get one that would work.

This could be what's going on with the update, but I did try downloading it again though and had the same problem though.

I will try it a few more times and let you know. I'll get back to you in anywhere from 10 minutes, to an hour. It just depends on when I get up (you know about my back problem), since I have to go out to her machine to do it.
JG

Post by JG »

Hi,

I also have a problem with downloading the update binary only, it only gets 50.6 KB of it.
Minimal package also fails to download 94.5 KB
Small English package was OK
The Helpfile in PDF format was OK now, but had taken a couple of clicks a few days back, to get it to display in the browser/download.

I just tried the binary only download using FFox and it got it all. !!! No. other things fail.
Now changing to different topics and posts in the forum is taking two clicks, and the busy icon it in the tab for a long time......
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
PastorDave

Post by PastorDave »

Okay, Costas, it is your server that has the problem.

1) I tried downloading it from your web site again. Same problem.

2) I went on my laptop and copied the one that I used to update
mine that I had downloaded from your web site last night onto
a USB stick.

3) I then copied that file from the USB stick onto my wife's laptop.

4) I then double clicked the file.

5) The install came up and ran fine (except for it still inserting
the folder name in, as you mentioned a couple of posts ago)!
PastorDave

Post by PastorDave »

Costas, you're not going to believe what just happened! :)

I ALREADY moved the Word files and UNINSTALLED the old location in Add/Remove programs.

I then went to install the update into the folder "C:\Word Bible".

Guess what directory name the update install automatically put in there on my wife's XP machine???

"C:\Program Files\The Word"

Yup! That's right! You got it! And YES, I DID do a "Compact Install"!
JG

Post by JG »

Hi,
this is as expected for a compact XP install. The issue is on Vista and Win 7 systems.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
PastorDave

Post by PastorDave »

I know, but for it to default to that after what we just went through, I thought was really "smart-alecky" of the program and really funny! :)

I see looking at my post that I forgot the smilies. Sorry about the confusion and thanks anyway for trying to help out. :)
UBC4ME

Post by UBC4ME »

I am having a problem downloading the current version update. It seems to download but when i run the update no changes are made. I am using Win 7.
Dave
Gods gifts comes wrapped many different ways.