[www.theword.net]

Twitter live feed  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Beta updates: 'changes' listing 

Post Beta updates: 'changes' listing
Hi Costas -
This question comes from now being able to see the changes of 'beta' in real time:
I think this has changed a situation.
Is it now valuable - to you :shock: - as well as us :) - to give us a (very short) comment or list of what is changed in a beta - so we know what to look for to use /or test?

I believe your last reply to this was 'No - this is a beta so... it is changeable - a fast update - - it could be deleted...' (I can't remember the thread).
But now with listing betas: new ones recognisable and old ones accessible - I think you have greater potential for feedback and involvement from your 'interested' users than ever before.

Maybe sometimes the change is not noticeable - - some pixels on a view - something not clear to describe and no feedback possible or wanted (I don't know...) - - then just make 'no comment' on a beta, as exampled below so we know you didn't just 'forget' or ignore... ( ;-))

eg.
------
3.2.0.1109 -
'Search' /
Fast/ buttons, text entry
Detailed/ select bibles
------
3.3.0.1107 -
no comment
------
3.2.0.1106 -
--
---
3.2.0.1103 -
Bibles list: multi-select
----

If this is a .txt file included always in the .rar - it would be updateable with no filename change:
- make it cumulative
- just add at head of file each time the minimum info necessary:
- so the first entry is always the latest
Such a .txt file could also become the base for a 'changes in this version' to go with an official release.

I do understand this would take maybe one-two minutes to write - maybe those 2 mins will gain you feedback/testers to help? - - to make those two minutes valuable, and not lost time.

Example:
Tonight I find there are 3 updates since I last downloaded (1113: now 1116).
I installed 1116 and checked the area I am interested in and have a current thread on it of feedback:
(end of thread 'Multi-bible search, select 'button'' - with screenshots - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2411 )
- I did not see a change to that on a quick test.
I don't know what else is different: I cannot help test functions or give feedback -
And nor can anyone else....
- unless you have pm'd a person or it is in a thread I have not accessed...
So maybe you lose potential testers?....

The situation becomes more 'impossible to test/check' if there are now 10 - 15 - 20 betas since a person last downloads... But with a checklist they may now actually look at these features that otherwise they will not do.

If it doesn't work - and you find it wastes your time instead - then drop it again !
You may find it gives you more testers and useful feedback - or just more posts/pms /questions - that take time to answer, but no benefit to you... :roll:

So - how about trying it as an experiment?
miken

Last edited by miken on Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:50 am

Post Re: Beta updates: 'changes' listing
I just found the thread on 'mouse buttons' and I see that you were working with 2-3 people on a particular test, between version 1113-1116: -
- and that your interaction enabled close testing of changes. Great!

So - I can imagine other times where you may NOT want collaboration by more 'testers' - if you already have the link with some people - to avoid confusion/a lot of questions -

So that may be a case of putting 'no comment' on a beta version - until the 'test run' is done.
(or put 'project' instead of 'no comment' (though that will probably entice some to contact you and ask what is the project - can they help?)... whatever works easiest
Then when sorted - ( for example) - put into the next note [1117 in this case] the change / and/or 'backdate it'.

You will now have a whole lot more people will download the beta anyway - and who will now find the new functionality from that note - and some of those will probably check it out... You will be more likely to get feedback on the feature if there is a glitch (for example: in this particular feature change - if another mouse/keyboard does not use the same coding), while that project is still 'hot' for you - and for your 'current testers'... - so I would guess a potential for more rapid bug-finding and bug-sorting.

example:
mouse button forward/back - from 1116
-----
no comment
-----
no comment
-----
no comment
---
--- etc
--- (my previous example continues:)
------
3.2.0.1109 -
'Search' /
Fast/ buttons, text entry
Detailed/ select bibles
------
3.3.0.1107 -
no comment
------
3.2.0.1106 -
--
---
3.2.0.1103 -
Bibles list: multi-select
----

Just ideas...
God bless
miken

Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:50 am
Site Admin

Well, this is a great idea.
I already have such a changelog that i update with every minimal change i do, even a few pixels... (unless something less important than this).
I will see how I can include the changelog file in there, shouldn't be hard,
Costas

Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:20 pm
Profile WWW

That's absolutely great!
I'm really looking forward to it!
Mike

Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:29 pm
Site Admin

already there

Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:43 pm
Profile WWW

Sorry - I'm back...!
I have checked out your current logfile - (it is included in a re-posting of beta 1116 for anyone who has already downloaded that - it gives a changelog running back a loooong way!) -
I want to suggest a change to how it continues, if included into subsequent betas like this.

Would you be happy from now on to put the beta number with the relevant changes?

So - some of the last entries being...

(from earlier to later)

.... -
(I recognise this one: it was 1103 - my first interaction with you and your response: :D - on re-order/display/hide bible units - thread here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2436)
- [fix]: Preferences->Bible texts: multi-selection allowed for moving up/down, select/unselect all
- [new]: <PF> tag for first line indentation
- [new]: added a 'Select Bible to search' link in Bible Search view -> Advanced tab: this just pops up the proper menu. Also some changed to the 'Detailed' tab: the input box will stay on top (no scrolling)
- [new]: new version of renderer/editor
- [new]: when clicking with the mouse in search input box (Bible & Book search views), the text is selected.
- [fix]: pasting text to search input boxes causes incorrect painting (left-overs). Also could not fully scroll to the beginning of the text (see bug: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2320&p=13256#p13256)
- [fix]: Selecting Bibles for searching and compare view: the 'Show descriptions' option at the bottom, and the 'Use also for vertical/horizontal layout' (case of Compare) were not saved.
- [fix]: the 'Define custom ranges' combo box in Bible search view (Detailed tab), could dissapear if shrinking the view too much; also, the search input box would disappear if making the view too small in height.
- [fix]: bug in code that reads Bible text in non-encrypted NT or OT only modules could cause the Bible view to not display at all -

Ok - the changelog is interesting - and useful... - but... it is hard to find which one is which - :? (if anybody wants to)... so - how about...:
NOTE: the following numbers are my addition - NOT from Costas - and may be inaccurate... 8)

1113 - [fix]: when copying content from a popup that contains a verse-ref and the CM appears, the popup ended-up empty and activated.
1114 - [fix]: displaying the 'Select Bibles' for Compare view when in normal Bible view and then closing it, would not make the view switch to the compare view some times.
1115 - [new]: Copy Verses dialog: added new placeholders for starting book/chapter/verse for the header field.
1116 - [new]: (not full): added support for forward/backward mouse buttons in Bible view
(Presumably this is indeed '1116' - the latest.
Counting, there were sufficient entries from what I took to be '1103' (recognised) to be:
- one entry per beta - (including there being no beta numbered 1108...)
- so if CORRECT: - can future changes start with ...: )

1117 -
(or 0.1117..)
(or 3.2.0.1117...) ?

Again -I see this as potentially good for debugging - and just for knowing where one is.
Should only take a moment to add ... especially the shorter forms of the beta number
What do you think?

Mike

Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:33 pm

I see the newest beta - 3.2.0.1117 - does now have the 'new-style' changelog within:

Latest entry:

1117 - [fix]: When links were using defined bookmarks to limit the text in the popup to a part of the target topic, the bookmarks were not recognized if they belonged to a non-text item (e.g. tab, table, picture, etc)

That's great! :D
Enjoy, all you geeks and technophobes...
- and hoping this helps us to help you (Costas), in all your help to us! 8)

Thanks again!

Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:42 am
Site Admin

miken wrote:
I see the newest beta - 3.2.0.1117 - does now have the 'new-style' changelog within:

Latest entry:

1117 - [fix]: When links were using defined bookmarks to limit the text in the popup to a part of the target topic, the bookmarks were not recognized if they belonged to a non-text item (e.g. tab, table, picture, etc)

That's great! :D
Enjoy, all you geeks and technophobes...
- and hoping this helps us to help you (Costas), in all your help to us! 8)

Thanks again!

Well, at times i don't respond fast, but i surely read the comments :)

Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:00 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]