Automatic check of module updates implemented

From here you can check the latest version of the software and related apps (e.g. Importer utillity). New add-on modules will be announced here also (Bibles, commentaries, dictionaries, etc)
csterg
Site Admin

Automatic check of module updates implemented

Post by csterg »

Hi all,
the function 'Check for updates on modules and language files...' that can be accessed from the Help menu from within theWord has been implemented. Now, when clicked, it will take you to a page where you will see if there are any updates on all installed official modules and provide a link to download all updates in a single file.
I would appreciated any feedback and testing on this feature (can be considered beta for now)
Thank you!
Costas
tonydowden

Re: Automatic check of module updates implemented

Post by tonydowden »

Hi Costas,

I just checked this out. My Browser (Firefox) opened and produced a list of modules that have been updated. I then clicked on the link to download them all and got the following error message:-

Could not locate file ../downloads/Charting the End Times - Tim Lahaye. Aborting download

Is this error because it cannot find the file on the server or because it cannot find it on my computer?

Tony
Words are the clothes our thoughts wear
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Thanks Tony; i fixed that, can you try again pls?
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Does this happen on 1178 or am I not seeing the release with this feature? On 1178 when I click on check for updated modules it opens IE at a blank page. Am I missing something?

Darrel
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

DarrelW wrote:Does this happen on 1178 or am I not seeing the release with this feature? On 1178 when I click on check for updated modules it opens IE at a blank page. Am I missing something?

Darrel
This feature is independent of the tw version. It should work with any
Costas
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

So does it return a blank screen if all modules are up-to-date and there are no newer versions? Again I am speaking about the "check for updates on modules and language files" option. If that is the case it might be good to return a message stating there are no updated files. Just a thought.

Darrel
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Oops! I think it was a "user cockpit" issue. I just saw the message about IE restricting content. When I click to allow that I got the module update page showing! Sorry Costas, my mistake!

Darrel
tonydowden

Post by tonydowden »

Hi Costas,

Yes, that's great. It now seems to work perfectly.

Tony
Words are the clothes our thoughts wear
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

Very nice feature, Costas! I miss a "select all"/"select none" button on the web page, though.
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Okay, I have several things occurring:
1. I told it to download 4 modules, the APB, Net, Bible outlines and I forgot what the 4th was. It downloaded and installed the ABP and the 4th module, but twice I have told it download the Net version 1.1 and when I start TW I still have version 1.o
2. When I tell it to start TW at the end of the download nothing happens and I have to manually start TW

Other than that I like what you have implemented.

Darrel
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Some further updates:
1. If I select NET by itself and install, it appears to install (although when the install is done I still have version 1.0 and not 1.1) by going through what looks like the full install of that module.
2. By selecting just a single module TW starts after the install, where if I click on install all selected modules it does not start and the NET never appears to install.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

I can verify that there is an issue with the NET. I will need to resolve this; others seem ok,
Costas
royhieatt

Post by royhieatt »

Costas,

Just tested the function and it worked correctly updating four modules.

Roy
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Further update - the problem does appear to be an Net issue, where it is not showing version 1.1. I renamed the NET module and downloaded fresh and the file size is the same as what had been previously installed, so the download appears to be fine. However the issue still appears (at least on my box) that if I install single selected modules TW will start at the end, but if I click the install all button it will not start and I have to manually start TW.

Darrel
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

DarrelW wrote:Further update - the problem does appear to be an Net issue, where it is not showing version 1.1. I renamed the NET module and downloaded fresh and the file size is the same as what had been previously installed, so the download appears to be fine. However the issue still appears (at least on my box) that if I install single selected modules TW will start at the end, but if I click the install all button it will not start and I have to manually start TW.

Darrel
ok, got that also, i will check it.
Thank you for the feedback,
Costas