theWord iPad App [Unofficial]

From here you can check the latest version of the software and related apps (e.g. Importer utillity). New add-on modules will be announced here also (Bibles, commentaries, dictionaries, etc)
Josh Bond

theWord iPad App [Unofficial]

Post by Josh Bond »

Here's an iPad app that will read theWord Modules! Note, this is unofficial, meaning Costas did not create it but he does approve of the app being created.

I have an extensive review of this app and pictures posted here: http://www.wordmodules.com/topic/878-th ... -the-ipad/
WordModules.com
Large, reference modules for Evangelical Christians. 100% Free. No strings attached.
csterg
Site Admin

Re: theWord iPad App [Unofficial]

Post by csterg »

Thanks to Samy for the app. The official app's site is http://www.holybibleanswer.com

Thanks Josh for the review and the information.
Hope to see this grow,
Costas
l_d_allan

Post by l_d_allan »

Very Interesting, but some questions (from a person without an iPhone or iPad ... or Android either)

* Are there limitations on the TW Bible modules that can be used?

* What about modern English Bibles like the ESV?
* Crossway (the publisher of the ESV) has usually been very cooperative on allowing free usage, but they are appropriately careful about protecting their copyright.
* I would speculate that the developer of the iBible-Study HD app would need to get permission from Crossway to use TW modules with their software.
* IANAL, but I wouldn't think it would be enough for the app developer to check with Costas, get an "OK", and then proceed to make the ESV available.

* What about Bible modules such as the NIV, NKJV, NASB, etc. that have a license fee that needs to be paid to TW to obtain that module to use on the desktop version of TW?
* Depending on the license agreement TW has with the publisher, my understanding is that some or most of that fee goes to the publisher. They've got payroll, utility bills, etc. to pay.
* For example, suppose you purchased the NIV-2011 and have an activation code ... For The Desktop. Will this NIV-2011 module and associated activation code work on the iPad using the iBible-Study HD app?
* That would be GREAT if true, but I'd be Very Pleasantly Surprised if this is the case.

* My uninformed speculation is a goal of the app developer would be to eventually make this "module sharing with the TW desktop version" to be a reality.
* "Heavenly Father, please give Samy great blessing, wisdom, skill, and patience to accomplish this for Your glory and honor. Amen."

FWIW: to this English speaking American, the "minimum threshold" for Bible freeware to interest me is a main-stream, modern English Bible like the ESV as a free download with unrestricted, non-crippled usage. YMMV.

[EDIT] Checked briefly on the review of app ... it appears to not read "compressed TW modules" .. which I believe are also encrypted. I think this limitation would apply to most or all of the modern TW English Bible modules.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

The app will not read encrypted Bibles. Since this is a different app than theWord, a separate contract with each publisher is required.
The app will read compressed Book modules (not encrypted) in the next release though!
Costas
Josh Bond

Post by Josh Bond »

A new release of iBible-Study HD is now ready for downloading (may take a few hours for apple to replace the old one) so I would like to share with you the new features of version 1.1.0 as below:

New Features:
+ New Tabs design at the top of the panels.
+ Now you can select the text font from 7 different fonts (Settings App).
+ New modules can be installed (.twm or zipped) as direct download or as email attachment.
+ Add the support for the compressed modules.
+ Change Select Verse popover to a tabular interface (you can return to the Verse Picker from Settings App).
+ Add Inline verse functionality in Commentaries and dictionaries.
+ Add Cancel button to enable cancelling the search operation.
+ Support user's cross references. Just add it as a normal module to the document folder or open it as email attachment.
+ change bundled bible to UKJV.

Bug fixes:
+ Wrong Bible name for ASCII none English Bibles.
+ Download fails when app goes to inactive state.
+ Hebrew and Greek text sometimes do not appear correctly.
+ Improve search speed.
+ Other Minor issues

This is obviously a very dedicated author!
WordModules.com
Large, reference modules for Evangelical Christians. 100% Free. No strings attached.
l_d_allan

Re: Crossway/ESV has been cooperative on permissions

Post by l_d_allan »

My years-ago experience with Bible freeware was that the publisher of the ESV Bible (Crossway) was Very Cooperative in regards to permissions and license issues. I can't speak for Costas, but I'm pretty sure he would agree.

In fact, I'd mention that Crossway was By Far the most cooperative publisher on permissions. That may have been because their ESV was relatively new a decade or so ago, and they were eager for visibility. (Lockman/NASB and NET were very good to work with also.)

My point ?
I'd Strongly Encourage the developer of the iOS app to contact Crossway. I can look around for my POC at Crossway. Dan something?
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Great job
ichbindasauge

Post by ichbindasauge »

Costas, are you planning to add a capability to sync user notes, highlights, etc. between installations? If it was possible to sync those between Windows and iPad, this App would be perfect (right now the iOS App doesn't include any editing capability at all, but I assume this is planned?)

I realize that syncing is a very complex issue, but it would add a lot of value to the software (both PC to PC sync and PC to iPad sync). There are some posts in this forum where people use dropbox to sync installations between Computers - that might also be a way to sync between Windows and iPad?
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Syncing notes is a different subject than syncing state, as posted.
I can't tell. iBibleStudy is a completely different app, there is no answer I can give at this point
Costas
genusCastor

Post by genusCastor »

First off, I love theWord PC program and really appreciate the work making the iPad app available. Thanks folks. :)

I have a couple questions.

1) Is the ESV is apparently not available for the iPad app?

2) I looked around on holybibleanswers.com but still don't know how to access the Strong's Concordance, which is supposed to be the "default" Bible with the app. Either I didn't get that Bible version when I downloaded the app, or I selected something that made it hidden...? The only KJV versions accessible are the two I downloaded after loading the app (AKJV/PCE and UKJV).

Thanks again.

- dan
genusCastor

Post by genusCastor »

OK, I found what I believe is the KJV with Strong's, but I had to download it (titled "King James Version of 1611/1769" in the Bible downloads). What I have now is what appear to be links (green underlined text) to Strong's concordance, but the links are dead. And I don't see Strong's concordance in the list of books to download.

- dan
JG

Post by JG »

genusCastor wrote:OK, I found what I believe is the KJV with Strong's, but I had to download it (titled "King James Version of 1611/1769" in the Bible downloads). What I have now is what appear to be links (green underlined text) to Strong's concordance, but the links are dead. And I don't see Strong's concordance in the list of books to download.

- dan
It is probably best to direct your question to the official site http://www.holybibleanswer.com

The only connection theWord has to this software is that it can use theWord format modules.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
genusCastor

Post by genusCastor »

JG wrote: It is probably best to direct your question to the official site http://www.holybibleanswer.com

The only connection theWord has to this software is that it can use theWord format modules.

But...they don't have a handy forum over there. :D

I'll try contacting them with the email address. Thanks.

- dan
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Well, there is no problem discussing this here, but it is probable that you might not get the response you expect,
Costas
immanuel.sonprint

Post by immanuel.sonprint »

Is there anyway to import encrypted modules to this app?

or unencrypt the modules?

Please help I really need to add Thai bible into my iPad

Thank you