First sample tutorial!

From here you can check the latest version of the software and related apps (e.g. Importer utillity). New add-on modules will be announced here also (Bibles, commentaries, dictionaries, etc)
Rubén Gómez

Post by Rubén Gómez »

Benny wrote:Thanks for your input Ruben

I did not intend to offend anyone with the pictures but Costas wanted me to try and spruce up the front frames so I tried created the first two frames to look like an open bible with a ribbon marker. I started with the left half of the 'book' of the first frame (button descriptions frame) and the right half of the 'book' of the second frame (tutorial selection frame) on the same frame, but it look way too cluttered. So I decided to separate the two halves of the 'book' and insert the images. Since I always read my bible and pray for direction before I proceed every morning I thought the images of Christ would be appropriate since it is a tutorial about bible software.
No offense taken! Since you asked for some feedback, I gave my opinion. That's all.

Thanks for your hard work. I also think voice and text is the best option.
Rubén Gómez
tonydowden

SAMPLE TUTORIALS

Post by tonydowden »

Hi Benny,

Thanks for all your hard work! I prefer the version with voice and text - things seem to sink in quicker when I can both hear and read what is being said.

I think the tutorial is very professional and will be extremely helpful.

Keep up all the good work!

God bless you,

Tony
Words are the clothes our thoughts wear
MsLile

Post by MsLile »

Thanks MsLile that's what I needed to hear. We will probably be posting the versions with (both text & voice) and (text only) and drop the (voice only) version.
Thanks also for your comments on the images of Christ. After all he is the very one who provided for us a way to enter into the Kingdom of Heaven and according John 1:1 Christ is 'The Word'.

Thanks again. I like to be reminded that our wonderful LORD, The WORD, The LOGOS, became flesh for me and the rest of the world. He was GOD in the flesh and also a human being, just like we are. Some say in Twelve Step, "Our GOD put 'skin' on". When I think of Jesus, I think of Him as being pictured in Revelatiion with white hair, and firey eyes. It is good to show His compassionate side and what better way than a picture to do it with. We do "HAVE A MAN IN THE GLORY!!" and that to me, dear brothers, is something to "Shout" about.

MsLile :D
Heb 6: 10 For GOD is not unjust to forget your work and labor of love.............

"In Him we live and move and have our being...... 'For we are also his offspring.' Acts 17:28
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Just a comment on the picture (which i also made in private): I agree with Ruben!
Where i live (Greece), icons play a big role in the Orthodox dogma and it is not rare for them to be associated with idol-worship. I know this may not touch other people but it is important for me and many other Greek believers.
I would also like to remove this picture and use another image or an icon or the logo or nothing. I am not sure what is best yet (working on it), but i believe that a non-person image would be completely un-offending to everyone and it's the safe way to take,
Costas
Benny

Post by Benny »

MsLile wrote:Thanks again. I like to be reminded that our wonderful LORD, The WORD, The LOGOS, became flesh for me and the rest of the world. He was GOD in the flesh and also a human being, just like we are. Some say in Twelve Step, "Our GOD put 'skin' on". When I think of Jesus, I think of Him as being pictured in Revelatiion with white hair, and firey eyes. It is good to show His compassionate side and what better way than a picture to do it with. We do "HAVE A MAN IN THE GLORY!!" and that to me, dear brothers, is something to "Shout" about.
This is true and you were probably raised the same way I was with a hugh family bible on the coffee table with serval pictures of Christ throughout it. But what seems like the right way to go for you and me is not the way everyone feels or believes. I never wished to step on anyones culture, personal way of life, or religious beliefs.
Costas wrote:I am not font of images, especially because of the image-worshiping here in Greece with the Orthodox church. But let this not distract you at this moment.
As Costas mention in his post, the quote above was part of an private e-mail Costas sent me after I e-mail him the tutorial files. So I knew Costas did not like the pictures also. Costas made the decision to go ahead and post the tutorials so we could get user feedback and deal with the pictures later. I respect Costas for his decisions and for standing up for what he believes in as I do others. I think Costas and I feel the same in that we want to present the best possible informative tutorial series we can produce.

Now the question is what to put in place of the pictures of Christ.
As I mentioned in a previous post, I originally had the left part of the (navigation instructions frame) and the right part of the (tutorial selection frame) combined in one frame. This made it look too cluttered and unprofessional. To leave it completely blank would not look right either. I could replace the images of Christ with images of mountains God created and change the bible verses at the bottom to fit the image. Or we could put members favorite bible verses in place of the images.

Benny
Brett

Using images to represent Jesus

Post by Brett »

I think it is important to refrain from doing things that offend people unnecessarily.
But vastly more important to abstain from doing things that offend God. Do you agree?

If you look at the Second Commandment repeated, emphasized and explained in Deuteronomy 4 it seems clear that we are not to make images of God or images that invoke worship.

Please see:
Exodus 20:4-6 - Second Commandment
Deuteronomy 4:12 -16 referring to giving of the Ten Commandments and specifically about making images. Notice how he twice says "you saw no form" and immediately 'so make no images'.

The only way I can see around this is to say that Jesus isn't God, but then you have a much bigger problem, don't you?

Blessings in Christ,
Brett
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

I agree with Brett. No need to offend anyone.
Costas