[www.theword.net]

Twitter live feed  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:20 am



Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 THE WORD REVIEW 
Author Message

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:15 pm
Posts: 118
Location: London, England
Post THE WORD REVIEW
Hi All,

I have just stumbled across the following site - http://www.fostertribe.org/biblesoftware.html

I'm sure Costa and everybody else will be delighted to see that out of 15 packages reviewed The Word has come second!

This is despite the fact that many of the recent additions by Costas were not there when the review was written, and these cover most of the negatives mentioned. If the review was re-written with the current version there is no doubt The Word would be top!

Hope this encourages you Costas and serves as at least a bit of a reward for all of your really hard work. I hope also that this encourages everybody else and assures us that we should have no reservations in recommending this marvelous software package to all of our Christian brothers and sisters.

May God bless you all,

Tony

_________________
Words are the clothes our thoughts wear


Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:43 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:50 am
Posts: 74
Location: Santa Ana, CA USA
Post Re: THE WORD REVIEW
tonydowden wrote:
Hi All,

I have just stumbled across the following site - http://www.fostertribe.org/biblesoftware.html

I'm sure Costa and everybody else will be delighted to see that out of 15 packages reviewed The Word has come second!

This is despite the fact that many of the recent additions by Costas were not there when the review was written, and these cover most of the negatives mentioned. If the review was re-written with the current version there is no doubt The Word would be top!

Hope this encourages you Costas and serves as at least a bit of a reward for all of your really hard work. I hope also that this encourages everybody else and assures us that we should have no reservations in recommending this marvelous software package to all of our Christian brothers and sisters.

May God bless you all,

Tony


Thanks for sharing that! Costas, well done. We are all very proud of you and are blessed to be able to partner with you in this venture. I can tell you from this side of the world that people all over the world are being blessed. I was able to give 5 TW CDs to a pastor from Uganda yesterday. We have also been able to get CDs to South Africa, Peru, Hungary, China, and all over the US. I think that we are going to see momentum really pick up for TW very soon.

Now with the addition of David Cox's library TW will have few rivals in the amount of resources. Furthermore, our original language tools collection is becoming formidable indeed. The recent additions of Gesenius' Hebrew Grammar, Robertson's Greek Grammar and the monumental Liddell and Scott Classical Greek Lexicon are helping TW to keep pace if not surpass many for-purchase Bible software programs. The aforementioned resources could easily cost $100-$200 or more if they were purchased separately. So, in my opinion, TW is number one for ease of use its available resource library and, as a Hebrew and Greek specialist, I can testify that TW holds its own in the realm of original language capability. Thanks again Costas for the hours, months and years that you have invested into making this all possible.

Blessings to all,

Doug

_________________
Douglas Hamp
Glory to God in the highest!


Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:24 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:08 pm
Posts: 309
Post 
Is the Liddell & Scott lexicon available for download?


Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:40 am
Profile
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:09 pm
Posts: 8536
Location: Corfu, Greece
Post 
_david_ wrote:
Is the Liddell & Scott lexicon available for download?

I will make it available soon, maybe today.
Costas


Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:37 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:09 pm
Posts: 8536
Location: Corfu, Greece
Post 
There are some oustanding issues with the L&S that i would like to fix first, so it may take a couple of days,
Costas


Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:03 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:09 pm
Posts: 8536
Location: Corfu, Greece
Post 
Lidell and Scott is here:
http://download.theword.gr/bin/get.php/l&s.dct.exe

Notice:
There are many "[About Authors X]" in the beginning of the module: these topics are just a break down of the "[About:Authors]" which is very big. The latest build of TW (not yet available) has a new advanced function to hide specific topics: once you get the new build, these entries will be hidden (e.g. not visible). So, don't delete them for now, even if they seem duplicates. They are actually used to provide the information of authors for the popups through the module.

The download is about 15MB and the uncompressed module is about 170MB (there are 116517 topics in total), so be patient while downloading/installing.

Please, post here any comments or errors in the module. I will put a link up the main beta download page once i get 1-2 positive comments here.

Costas


Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:54 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 103
Location: Nederland
Post problems with the program
This module seems an interesting module.
I do not know exactly what it is for yet because there is an awful lot of content, links and abbreviations so I do not see the logic immediately.
I have encountered two problems:
1: When I hover above a bookmark or link the program crashes, (On this computer (XP SP2) I am not able to send bug reports at the moment, sorry).
2: In the greek subjects I see a lot of square boxes in stead of the right font/character I think.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong?

Thanks Richard


Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:03 pm
Profile
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:09 pm
Posts: 8536
Location: Corfu, Greece
Post Re: problems with the program
gennesse wrote:
This module seems an interesting module.
I do not know exactly what it is for yet because there is an awful lot of content, links and abbreviations so I do not see the logic immediately.
I have encountered two problems:
1: When I hover above a bookmark or link the program crashes, (On this computer (XP SP2) I am not able to send bug reports at the moment, sorry).

Hm, perhaps you need the latest version; there is this bug with links with 'special' charactes in 690.

Quote:
2: In the greek subjects I see a lot of square boxes in stead of the right font/character I think.

This is a font issue, but i know it's there. Are these boxes in the combo box or in the reader? (Your OS also PLS)

Costas


Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:06 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:08 pm
Posts: 309
Post 
Seems to work just fine for me! Keep this up and TheWord may soon be competing with the likes of Logos. Which edition of the L&S is this, the full or abridged?


Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:08 pm
Profile

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:16 am
Posts: 42
Location: USA
Post Re: problems with the program
Quote:
2: In the greek subjects I see a lot of square boxes in stead of the right font/character I think.

This is a font issue, but i know it's there. Are these boxes in the combo box or in the reader? (Your OS also PLS)

Costas[/quote]

Hi Costa,

i also have the boxes and they are in the box to the left (combo box???) when i hover over the greek words;
and in the reader box (the box to the right) when i click on a word.

but when i copied the two boxes to send you and example of what i was talking about everything copied ok with out the boxes.

with out this problem the program seems to be working VERY well !!! Thank you for ALL your work.

BTW i am useing windows XP but will try it on vista later.


Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:50 pm
Profile
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:09 pm
Posts: 8536
Location: Corfu, Greece
Post Re: problems with the program
larry wrote:
i also have the boxes and they are in the box to the left (combo box???) when i hover over the greek words;
and in the reader box (the box to the right) when i click on a word.

but when i copied the two boxes to send you and example of what i was talking about everything copied ok with out the boxes.

with out this problem the program seems to be working VERY well !!! Thank you for ALL your work.

BTW i am useing windows XP but will try it on vista later.

This is clearly a font issue.
Please, try to set 'proper' fonts from File->Preferences->Fonts.

I use Gentium/Cardo/Tahoma for Greek/Hebrew/Default font.
Tell me if this solves the issue,
Costas


Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:37 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 103
Location: Nederland
Post Problem remains
You have a screenshot in the post and also a bug report.
Using other fonts did not fix it.
Also on this PC I have the crash.

Kind regards,
Richard


Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:10 pm
Profile
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:09 pm
Posts: 8536
Location: Corfu, Greece
Post Re: Problem remains
gennesse wrote:
You have a screenshot in the post and also a bug report.
Using other fonts did not fix it.
Also on this PC I have the crash.

Kind regards,
Richard

Richard,
the crash has been resolved in new build.
The solution for the fonts i give above is NOT for the combo box, but for the reader (viewer).
The issue with the combo box is also a font issue, but may be more difficult to fix. I will find a way around it,
Costas


Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:46 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:50 am
Posts: 74
Location: Santa Ana, CA USA
Post Liddell and Scott
_david_ wrote:
Seems to work just fine for me! Keep this up and TheWord may soon be competing with the likes of Logos. Which edition of the L&S is this, the full or abridged?


Hi David,

I am the one that tracked down the contents for the module and I am told that it is the unabridged (1940) edition (from the Perseus site).

Blessings,

Doug

_________________
Douglas Hamp
Glory to God in the highest!


Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:29 am
Profile WWW

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:16 am
Posts: 42
Location: USA
Post Re: problems with the program
[/quote]
I use Gentium/Cardo/Tahoma for Greek/Hebrew/Default font.
Tell me if this solves the issue,
Costas[/quote]

Hi Costas,

i went to the Liddell & Scott

opened properties

clicked on settings/actions

and in the fonts box i set it to "use the fonts that are defined in the module"

clicked OK

and every thing seems to be running ok now

again thanks Costas for all your hard work !!!


Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:33 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.