THE WORD REVIEW

From here you can check the latest version of the software and related apps (e.g. Importer utillity). New add-on modules will be announced here also (Bibles, commentaries, dictionaries, etc)
preahkumpii

Post by preahkumpii »

I think TW3 should be at the top. This is why: the reason why it is not number 1 is because of the "Resources" category. This problem is two-fold. Costas will keep TW free forever. So, providing the program and certain paid materials at a low cost ("Value" category) will not happen, b/c TW is free to begin with, although, some paid modules are the making. This is why TW did not get the best score in "Resources". The "Value" category follows suit. So, in reality, this review is comparing apples and oranges, by comparing a paid program with TW. Also, concerning "Extensability" as defined in the middle of the page, I think TW takes the cake. I think this review is limited by the build of TW3 (this is difficult in any review, as was pointed out, but at least he used the beta!) b/c the final version of TW3 has the ability to make full commentaries, dictionaries, general books, sets of user xrefs that reference backwards, footnotes, images, etc., etc. Maybe in round 2, TW will do better. However, this being the case, is it not excellent that TW cleanly got a higher ranking than very expensive programs, such as Logos and QuickVerse?? Remember, TW is free! As for the "Searching" category, although I have not used SwordSearcher, I do not see why TW would be any whit behind the chiefest of searchers. Thanks Costas for a great (we already knew that) program!

Adam
Last edited by preahkumpii on Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Adam
preahkumpii

Post by preahkumpii »

After re-reading through the post just before my last one, I realized that the reviewer wrote it! I just wanted to say I appreciate you taking the same to review them, and a lot of time indeed it took, I bet! I think Resources and Value have more to it, but then I didn't do the review! Thanks again.

Adam
Adam
Threepea

Post by Threepea »

preahkumpii wrote:So, in reality, this review is comparing apples and oranges, by comparing a paid program with TW.
Adam
In one respect, Adam, you are right. And you can see it by looking at the overall review scores (http://www.fostertribe.org/biblesoftware.html). For the most part, the free products populate most of the bottom half of the list, and the pay-for programs occupy most of the top.

So, I struggled with this quite a bit. Is it fair to compare Logos (with at least 45% of the market, all of the publisher's rights, and a price range in the hundreds to thousands of dollars) to a free program written by one guy? It seemed rather nuts at first. But the more I thought about it, the more I fell back on my original target audience - your regular Joe or Mary who wants to study the Bible more, but is not a scholar. Where do they start? Do they risk dropping $249 for a Bible package that is too big, too slow, too "whatever" and ends up collecting dust? (This is exactly what happened to me, by the way.) And that helped me clarify my focus. So in the end I decided the answer was an emphatic "YES". Because regular Joe and Mary need to know there is a Bible software package out there that can help them, no matter what their budget. And of course, because of gems like TW, BibleExplorer, and e-Sword; free programs that pushed their way into the top half, and even past some of the "big guns."
preahkumpii wrote:I just wanted to say I appreciate you taking the same to review them
Thank you! I appreciate that. Like I said, my reviews are my opinions only. If you have found a software package that helps you, then that is awesome, and I am sure God will bless your study.

Jerry
GordieH

Re: THE WORD REVIEW

Post by GordieH »

Where is the link to Gesenius' Lexicon? Not finding the link at the moment.

TY
JG

Post by JG »

GordieH wrote:Where is the link to Gesenius' Lexicon? Not finding the link at the moment.

TY

I think it is on Doug Hamps' site.

http://thefirstsixdays.com/TheWordBibleSoftware.htm
Douglas Hamp and his team from Calvary Chapel offer more than 700 modules.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

He has a link to it, but understand this module has serious problems and he has stopped work on it. He actually sent the module to me to finish, but the source is so bad that nothing can be done with it. He needs to either supply accurate source or pull the module from the website.

Darrel