Feature Request: Bible Sets with Folders in Bible View

Ideas and suggestions about new features
pastor1212

Feature Request: Bible Sets with Folders in Bible View

Post by pastor1212 »

I love the way books can be organized into different sets with various folders in each set. This allows me to have a set of commentaries with folders such as whole Bible, NT Only, OT only, individuals books, etc. This organizes my books very well.

Currently though organizing Bibles can rather hard. I would love to have the same feature in the Bibles. I could envision a set that has Greek/Hebrew Texts with folders of NT, OT, or LXX. I could also see a set of main texts divided into literal, dynamic, or free folders.
JG

Re: Feature Request: Bible Sets with Folders in Bible View

Post by JG »

pastor1212 wrote:I love the way books can be organized into different sets with various folders in each set. This allows me to have a set of commentaries with folders such as whole Bible, NT Only, OT only, individuals books, etc. This organizes my books very well.

Currently though organizing Bibles can rather hard. I would love to have the same feature in the Bibles. I could envision a set that has Greek/Hebrew Texts with folders of NT, OT, or LXX. I could also see a set of main texts divided into literal, dynamic, or free folders.
Hi, this is a great suggestion. It is in the list of features to-do, already.
http://forum.theword.gr/viewtopic.php?p=11225#p11225

But in the meantime one can use the "set tab icon" feature of the Bible view icons (right mouse click on a Bible icon" and set them to corresponding colors, e.g. green colored icon for OT, Red for NT, blue for Bibles that have OT&NT. Then you can if you wish group these together.( manually )
Note that now you can have sets (that are shared) in the Bible search view and the Compare Bibles view. You can then have search sets, the results of which can be right mouse clicked (when you get to the verse level) and displayed as a set in compare mode. So these are useful at the moment.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
pastor1212

Post by pastor1212 »

Thanks for the information. I never thought about using colors to organize my Bible.
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

This is a great feature, I really hope it doesn't take too long to enter the pipeline. :)
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

To be honest, i think that this might be 'too much' (maybe not?).
I understand why one can have 1000 reference books, but how many Bibles?
Costas
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

This would be useful even for few Bibles. There are several useful ways to group Bibles -- by language, by translation method, by base text, by individual taste, etc. It would be very handy to have the possibility to alternate among this various groups when doing study.
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
Leoram

Post by Leoram »

1+ to what Rúbio Terra has said.
Leoram
JG

Post by JG »

csterg wrote:To be honest, i think that this might be 'too much' (maybe not?).
Costas
Hi Costas, I think that the present features for, "compare", "search", and "multiple Bible translations in a popup", answer your "maybe not?".
Translations are already being grouped so it would be useful to have the suggested feature if you are a user that finds the other grouping sets useful.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

JG wrote:
csterg wrote:To be honest, i think that this might be 'too much' (maybe not?).
Costas
Hi Costas, I think that the present features for, "compare", "search", and "multiple Bible translations in a popup", answer your "maybe not?".
Translations are already being grouped so it would be useful to have the suggested feature if you are a user that finds the other grouping sets useful.
I think this would be very helpful. Especially if I could go into file > preferences > Bible texts -- and click on a group rather than click on/off individual Bibles. Sometimes I want to use certain Bibles and other times other Bibles. This idea would save time making those adjustments. I like the idea but I see its priority being in the mid-range of importance.
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

I have to say, this has got to be the feature I miss the most in theWord...
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
JG

Post by JG »

1+
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Leoram

Post by Leoram »

Again 1+
Leoram
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Again I really say ++1 on this one. I have used Bible sets in other programs to control my environment (i.e., Greek Bible set, Hebrew Bible set, My Study Bible set, etc. I have used this type of feature a lot in BibleAnalyzer, and it really does help organize how I worked.

Darrel
JG

Post by JG »

I have a +1 but I am not sure why I did that. I can use sets for searching and comparing.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

JG wrote:I have a +1 but I am not sure why I did that. I can use sets for searching and comparing.
Yes, but there's no way to have a bible view showing just a set of bibles. The compare view gets very crowded if you select more then a handful of bibles.

For instance, I like to have three synchronized bible views when I'm doing study:
  • The first showing just my default, preferred translation.
  • The second to show alternate translations or maybe literal translations, for me to compare when I need to get a clearer meaning on a passage.
  • The third one showing an original language module to get to the bottom of any question when needed.
The problem is I loose to much time having to find a specific translation among dozens of others. If each bible view could display only a specific set of bible modules, this setup would work much better.

I admit this is an issue only for those who have dozen of bible modules but, hey, who doesn't these days in which one bible translation is published every year?

I think the cost/benefit ratio for this feature is too great to let is pass. We already have the bible sets infrastructure, the only thing missing is an entry on the bible view menu to display the same window used in compare view. I'd be happy even with a simple hidden feature toggleable in the config file.

There's not a single day I don't miss this feature... :D
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil