Request about 'beta' filename/stockage/usage

From here you can check the latest version of the software and related apps (e.g. Importer utillity). New add-on modules will be announced here also (Bibles, commentaries, dictionaries, etc)
miken

Request about 'beta' filename/stockage/usage

Post by miken »

[Note first to any reader:
- I use the 'compact', so-called 'USB-stick' install (though it is on my hard drive) - which gives me all files in one parent folder, with sub-folders too... Absolutely everything is in there.
So it is always instantly ready to copy for: backup, duplication to another computer, or to give a copy of what I myself use to a friend, so I can easily talk them through what I have learned - etc.
I have no experience of any other type of setup/install - and this may influence what I ask in relation to putting updates into the same parent folder -
as follows: ]

Hey Costas -
Beta updates/filename
I see it would not be possible to put a version number onto the rar name for the beta download, or there could not be a permanent link to it as it would change each time.
(Anyone wanting to find Beta it is downloadable here: http://theword.gr/files/beta/theword.rar )

However - could we have permission to also access the beta download page? - http://theword.gr/files/beta/ -
if so, the version time/date would be there even if the name were unchanged.
And possibly older versions also (though without filename differnces, they could not exist side by side).

So - this looks not fully workable and maybe there are security risks for you, for a page access? (I do not know).
Instead, could the update itself have the number in the filename, within the rar packing?
- eg.
--- - theword_1106.exe,
or - theword_b1106.exe
or - theword_beta1106.exe
or - whatever!

With this option, unpacking the update into the same folder with the Official Release would give a ready-named, clickable or linkable file that will:
a) not upset already setup links for 'Official' program start (because new download would not have the same filename)
b) allow the version that is current in that folder to continue without being overwritten, and without having to rename it to avoid that (which would also break its shortcut links).

This would also allow beta's to stack up in the folder and not interfere either with each other, nor with the official release.

Finally - if none of these options work for you for whatever reason - could you add a text file within the rar packing with the beta version name on it?
So it is quickly apparent what is there, without having to first install to get the version number.

• - This could be an empty .txt or .nfo file (as used in so many packed downloads) - though a .txt is clear for all 'customers' I imagine, and some may not suss the .nfo format. The filename alone would give the version number of the update.

- Or make a standard .txt entry - eg.
    'The filename of this text is the version number of the beta update in this package ' (for example...)
    - and rename it each time with the version number, to include in the rar package.

What do you think? And does anyone else out there fancy this? :)
Or maybe you have reasons 'why NOT to do so!' that I have not seen?
Mike
RubioTerra

Re: Request about 'beta' filename/stockage/usage

Post by RubioTerra »

I'd like to point out that it is possible to easily obtain the beta version, from the binary properties or the tooltip displayed when it is pointed at. You could rename it before copying it to The Word's installation folder.
beta_version.JPG
beta_version.JPG (19.71 KiB) Viewed 10111 times
In Christ,

Rúbio Terra
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
miken

Post by miken »

Hi 'Rubio' -
Sorry - I don't know where your screenshot comes from - I have seen nothing like that so far.
(I am running Windows XP with SP2).

At present the only way I know to see what beta is there, is to first download it, then unpack and run it - and find out after it is installed by going to the 'about' page, or by watching it install and seeing on TheWord splash page.

Can you help me with what you have posted? Thanks
miken

EDIT - Since writing that I have gone to downloaded file and unpacked file - and hovered for longer than I would just to click into action - yes, I got info panel come up. (To my surprise :-))
But is there a way to know without first downloading and unpacking to some temp stockage while finding what I have got? ie. while the file is at Costas' end, before download?
Or before Winrar fires up to unpack?
Or within Winrar - before unpacking to a stockage folder?
Or is it only after all these other steps? - though now I no longer need to install to find out, since your reply!
Thanks!
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Well, i suppose i can do some of this to help locate the latest beta; let me think it over,
Costas
miken

Post by miken »

Thanks Costas.
And if anyone has another/better way already (such as Rubio tried to help me with) - please do let me know! Thanks again.
miken
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Done.
The new beta location is just "http://theword.gr/files/beta".
You get a listing there, and in the .rar the .exe is also named with the version
Costas
miken

Post by miken »

You really are amazing, Costas! So very helpful, so very kind, so amazingly supportive!
I hope it was very quick and simple to do, and with no regrets. I sincerely thank you.

I see some may need to change their way to future downloads -
I do hope the flexibility now given will outweigh any changes for you, whoever you are.

(*Sudden thought: if there seems a difficulty, the latest file could be duplicated on that list - one copy with just 'theword.rar' as before, duplicated for stockage with the new filename.
A new version saved first as 'theword.rar', would overwrite the last one -
A copy made of it 'save as' with the updated filename.
This would stock it visually - and not break any links. Just thoughts...
Probably just timewaste - so forget it! :shock: )

Thank you again, Costas, for your wonderful responsiveness.
We so appreciate both you and this work - and the high quality of your work that reflects just some of who you are.
Mike
Last edited by miken on Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Welcome Mike;
the old link http://theword.gr/files/beta/theword.rar will take you to the directory listing,
Costas
Rubén Gómez

Post by Rubén Gómez »

csterg wrote:Welcome Mike;
the old link http://theword.gr/files/beta/theword.rar will take you to the directory listing,
Costas
Thank you, Costas. That's very helpful!
Rubén Gómez
miken

Post by miken »

Costas - for me this is one of those 'small' tweaks that make a surprisingly 'big' difference - and I really appreciate it. I am so grateful that you listen - you could very easily have passed this by. But you did all the pieces: access to the beta page, filename on the .rar, filename on the .exe within. I so hope that others enjoy these changes too. I think they are great! :D

Result: - already I have done 3 upgrades of beta - instantly spotting that there is a change - downloads to the same folder, unpacking into root folder and immediately knowing exactly where I am with everything because of the filenames!
And a very nice way to keep the 'old address' by linking the 'theword.rar' part to point at the download page.
(Much better than my waffle rubbish about duplicate files! :lol: )

You win - again! Blessings
Mike (miken)
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

I am happy this is helpful; it was a pretty good idea ;)
Costas
royhieatt

Post by royhieatt »

Hi Costas,

Just a question of clarification on the new way of using the betas. First, having them available the way you do is a good move. The question concerns what happens after unpacking them. I'm using Windows 7 pro.

Let's say I have build 1106 installed. Today, I downloaded 1111 and unpacked it the way we have in the past. That is to the folder where 1106 is located. Normally, it would replace the quick start icon that started the program. It would bring up build 1111.

Today, it placed a new 1111 quick start icon next to the 1106 icon. I then downloaded 1110 and installed it. It placed a new icon for 1110 beside 1111. Is this the new way the beta downloads are supposed to perform?

I opened the folder where the program is (and has always been) stored -- C:\Program Files (x86)\The Word. 1106, 1110 and 1111 exe files were there. In the past 1111 would have overwritten 1106. Not a problem if this is the new way it is to perform, just curious if that is the design.

Thanks,

Roy
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

royhieatt wrote:Hi Costas,

Just a question of clarification on the new way of using the betas. First, having them available the way you do is a good move. The question concerns what happens after unpacking them. I'm using Windows 7 pro.

Let's say I have build 1106 installed. Today, I downloaded 1111 and unpacked it the way we have in the past. That is to the folder where 1106 is located. Normally, it would replace the quick start icon that started the program. It would bring up build 1111.

Today, it placed a new 1111 quick start icon next to the 1106 icon. I then downloaded 1110 and installed it. It placed a new icon for 1110 beside 1111. Is this the new way the beta downloads are supposed to perform?

I opened the folder where the program is (and has always been) stored -- C:\Program Files (x86)\The Word. 1106, 1110 and 1111 exe files were there. In the past 1111 would have overwritten 1106. Not a problem if this is the new way it is to perform, just curious if that is the design.

Thanks,

Roy
Well, the idea is that the beta now has a different filename so you can put it there without overwriting the 'normal' exe. It's up to you how you will handle this; in general i would say that you could delete previous beta and keep the last, but also keep the 'published' version (theword.exe) there, since a beta is ... a beta,
Costas
royhieatt

Post by royhieatt »

Thanks Costas,

Now, I understand.

Roy
miken

Post by miken »

I notice another benefit with this, Costas - did it come automatically with the file name titling theWord top line, or is it a change? - well whatever -
My page currently says (top Line): Matt 6:34 - theWord (theword-3.3.0.1112.exe) - and I have other versions open at the same time: ... (theword....1106.exe) .....(theword....1109.exe) ... - very useful for checking tweaks and options, as I have been doing...!

This may sometimes be helpful back to Costas from us, with us trying to help out in diagnosis or feedback: as I saw on this current thread:
http://forum.theword.gr/viewtopic.php?f ... 255#p13255
csterg
Post Re: Mousebutton
OK, i got a mouse with these keys, but it doesn't seem to work good...
I am going to need your help to do this. Can you help pls? I would just need to upload betas and try out if they work or not
Costas
I guess anyone not wanting this degree of 'reference' in updates could themselves change the name of the .exe on 'unpack to...', to just 'theword.exe', by deleting out the version numbers, as it used to be?
Again I am hoping there is more benefit overall from this new integral traceability, with obvious versions, than the 'loss' for those that had always overwritten versions each time with downloading over, and installing over, their last download each time of 'theword.exe'.

I guess I'm also feeling a little guilty... I don't want my 'good ideas' to be self-pleasing, but to the expense of others :|. I'm conscious I am still pretty new to this software - yet I'm digging in fast, and suggesting a number of things... and am so appreciating the work of others also who will , I guess, have done the same...
God bless, one and all
miken
Last edited by miken on Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.