Some Puritans W/ Scripture Index

Discussion on theWord modules and other resources
Pastor.Baldwin

Some Puritans W/ Scripture Index

Post by Pastor.Baldwin »

I've assembled a few hundred thousand pages of Puritans. Most are from archive.com as ePubs (auto-converted by a script I wrote) and are in fair to poor shape. (they were scanned and OCR'd by Google or MSN or someone else but not hand corrected) They are mostly readable and sll have had their (often roman number) scripture verse references tool tipped. A few are incomplete because the OCR'd texts don't exist. I also ran my "Scripture Indexing" tool on them and created a commentary full of over 500,000 links to the verses in the texts. The zip file has all the puritans listed below. (Most, but not all done by me with some scripts to convert the ePub files) and a commentary file Puritans.cmt.twm which has the links in it.

If you were interested in the "Scripture Indexing tool" I created a year ago but put off by the painfulness to using the tool this is a chance to try it out. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

If you love Puritans then this is a huge collection for your enjoyment.

If you're interested in helping out by hand correcting some of the Puritan's works let me know. I can explain how to do it and offer some tech support.

Let me know what you think,

===
1. Edwards
  • a. Works (ccel)
    b. Various others (ccel)
2. Watson
  • a. Works (Various sources)
    b. Sermons (Archive.org)
3. Brooks - Works (Archive.org)
4. Manton
  • a. Works (Archive.org)
    b. Psalm 119 (Archive.org)
    c. James (Archive.org)
5. Sibbes - Works (Archive.org)
6. Burroughs - Works (Archive.org)
7. Owen
  • a. Works (Archive.org)
    b. Hebrews (Archive.org)
8. Ussher
  • a. anals
9. Gurnall
  • a. Armor of God (Archive.org)
10. Flavel
  • a. Works Vol 1-6 (of 8) (Archive.org)
11. Gillespie (Various sources)
12. Scourgal
  • a. Life of God in the Soul of Man (Archive.org)
13. Bunyan - Works (Archive.org)
14. Boston
  • a. Collected books (Various Sources)
    b. Works, partial (Archive.org)
15. Goodwin - works (Archive.org)
16. Newton
  • a. Works (Archive.org)
    b. Messiah (Archive.org)
17. Clarkson - Works (Archive.org)
18. Reynolds
  • a. Works (Archive.org)
    b. Psalm 110 (Archive.org)
    c. Israel's prayer in time of trouble (Archive.com)
    d. A commentary on the book of Ecclesiastes
The zip file is 60mb compressed (And "Prepared for distribution")
http://www.divshare.com/download/14704655-d3e
Pastor Mark Baldwin
Missionary to Cambodia
William

Re: Some Puritans W/ Scripture Index

Post by William »

Wow, what a huge collection.

I made a 'baldwin' subfolder under 'books' to keep them separate (actually, I also bulk renamed them all by prefixing all the modules with 'baldwin' as well, it helps with my compulsive organization).

You have verified the copyrights, yes? (just asking...)
Where can the utility you referred to be found, and what did you write it in?

This will take some time to digest, but a spot check is impressive.
Pastor.Baldwin

Post by Pastor.Baldwin »

Copyright status is listed on archive.com as not in copyright for the ones from there. ccel is, hopefully ok. The harmony of the Westminster standards is something I did. Other documents, especially those copied from web sites over the years, are unknown but publicly available...

The indexing tool is written in TCL (Scripts) and the post is here:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2097

If you are really interested it can be updated. (I've discovered another, wierd format for Roman Numbers in one of files I just did so I want to update that.) The tool to convert an ePub to theWord has not been set up for others to run. Since it can be run once per file that is probably ok. Also since the format's of ePub files are iffy I have made minor changes with every new document.

Enjoy!
Pastor Mark Baldwin
Missionary to Cambodia
William

Post by William »

Thanks for the info.

I'm wondering about 'Ussher - The Annals of The World'

Yours: "Ussher, Rev. James - The Annals of The World.twm"
version date - 8.8.2009
size: 4.9 MB (5118976 bytes)
Rick Swartzentrover

Previous: (already on my machine) "Rev. James Ussher - The Annals of The World.twm"
version date - 8.8.2009
16.7 MB (17525760 bytes)
Rick Swartzentrover

I'm trying to figure out the size discrepancy - I ran the existing one through a database 'vacuum' to ensure that it was not bloated with air (database lingo :wink: ) but the size persisted.

Any ideas what the diffs are?
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

William wrote:Thanks for the info.

I'm wondering about 'Ussher - The Annals of The World'

Yours: "Ussher, Rev. James - The Annals of The World.twm"
version date - 8.8.2009
size: 4.9 MB (5118976 bytes)
Rick Swartzentrover

Previous: (already on my machine) "Rev. James Ussher - The Annals of The World.twm"
version date - 8.8.2009
16.7 MB (17525760 bytes)
Rick Swartzentrover

I'm trying to figure out the size discrepancy - I ran the existing one through a database 'vacuum' to ensure that it was not bloated with air (database lingo :wink: ) but the size persisted.

Any ideas what the diffs are?
Check 'Module compression' and module format. In general, RVF is bigger. Convert boath to RTF and compare,

Costas

HINT: if you hold down CTRL+SHIFT and double click on a topic in the 'topics tree' (book view) you will get a popup with the topics size in the db (and id)
William

Post by William »

Awesome tip on the double click topic for size.

Neither module is compressed, but the big one is RVF and the small one is RTF, so this probably explains it.
Thanks bunches.

{for readers of this thread: renaming the mod filenames with a prefix was a bad idea since the filename is used as the id - so I reverted them back / but putting them all in one subfolder still offers advantages for me.}
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

William wrote: {for readers of this thread: renaming the mod filenames with a prefix was a bad idea since the filename is used as the id - so I reverted them back / but putting them all in one subfolder still offers advantages for me.}
Just one more note: normally, a module should be assigned a unique id in order to avoid such issues when moving/renaming files.
If there is no unique id assigned, the filename is used, but this may not be unique...
Costas
Pastor.Baldwin

Post by Pastor.Baldwin »

Sorry about Ussher... I tend to rename things so I can find them. (Last,first,content) I also tend to combine into one file many works by the same author. Helps me to eliminate duplicates and reduces the number of files I have to prepare for indexing. The Ussher I packaged was "Prepared for distribution" which shrinks it. Once you search and convert to nvf it will be huge again.

BTW: If you rename the files the links in the Puritan.cmt.twm file will not work as they point to my filenames.
Pastor Mark Baldwin
Missionary to Cambodia
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Pastor.Baldwin wrote: BTW: If you rename the files the links in the Puritan.cmt.twm file will not work as they point to my filenames.
One more advice on this: assigning the module id eliminates this issue also since linking is done with the id and NOT the filename.
A unique id can be 'confidently' created by hitting ten random keys on your keyboard ....
Costas
William

Post by William »

If I did not make it clear before, I'd just like to express my thanks for all the work you put into this collection, it is a nice addition, and I look forward to exploring it further.
pfpeller

Post by pfpeller »

I just discovered this thread today. Thanks for all your hard work on this!
Armenian Calvinist

Post by Armenian Calvinist »

I'm new to theWord. Do the contents of the .zip file go into the program folder, or the program data folder?

Thanks in advance for your help!
JG

Post by JG »

Hi, just as a tip, to find your file locations, open theWord and look at the Help menu item "About", then look at the "Files locations" tab. Click on the relevant ... icon at the right side to open the location. You can then close theWord and move the files.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet