BETA channel

From here you can check the latest version of the software and related apps (e.g. Importer utillity). New add-on modules will be announced here also (Bibles, commentaries, dictionaries, etc)
craig.carboni

BETA channel

Post by craig.carboni »

Hi Costas,

Is there no current developement on the beta? The last update I see in http://www.theword.net/files/beta/ is
"theword-3.2.1.1218.rar 22-Jun-2011 01:30 3.7M".

Regards
Craig
William

Re: BETA channel

Post by William »

There will be soon. Costas is busy with something else at the moment.
craig.carboni

Post by craig.carboni »

Thank you.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

There have been a couple of fix releases this week,
Costas
Jerry20

Post by Jerry20 »

Is there a log for the changes?
And how to install these updates? Do you overwrite the original program?
Thanks
William

Post by William »

Each beta usually contains 3 files
the EXE
the lang file
the changes log

Yes, you can just overwrite the existing files if you wish.
If you do that, you will want to rename the exe to just 'theword.exe' and strip off the beta numbers.
Jerry20

Post by Jerry20 »

William wrote:Each beta usually contains 3 files
the EXE
the lang file
the changes log

Yes, you can just overwrite the existing files if you wish.
If you do that, you will want to rename the exe to just 'theword.exe' and strip off the beta numbers.
Thank you very much
William

Post by William »

If you find something does not work right (which is very rare, but not unheard of) you can revert back to the previous beta file in the download list (or further if required).

enjoy!
Jerry20

Post by Jerry20 »

William wrote:If you find something does not work right (which is very rare, but not unheard of) you can revert back to the previous beta file in the download list (or further if required).

enjoy!
Thanks.
I already installed the latest one and it works great.
It is really a great program.
JG

Post by JG »

Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
toconvertvid

Post by toconvertvid »

I renamed the beta to just "theword.exe" (I had previously deleted the current official release), and when I then opened the program, I got the message I posted below. It said that some modules were disabled because they exist in read-only directories. At the bottom it said to manually move the files to a certain folder.

I renamed the beta (1230) back with the numbers, and the modules reappeared in the program. Anyone know why this happened?
Image1.jpeg
Image1.jpeg (124.85 KiB) Viewed 9144 times
William

Post by William »

Are you using XP, Vista or Win7 ?
When you look at the *.exe file using file manager, does it have a little padlock on it?
If it does, right click and open properties and tell it to 'unblock' it.
I see that some of your data is in 'all users' whist others are in 'owner'. You may not have the same permissions set for both locations. Are you logged in as 'owner' or someone else?
Did you put the .exe in the actual correct program files folder where the original .exe was installed, or are you running it from somewhere else?
Does any of this help?
toconvertvid

Post by toconvertvid »

I am using XP service pack 3.
Is "file manager" something in theWord, or Windows?
I am logged in as "owner."
Did you put the .exe in the actual correct program files folder where the original .exe was installed, or are you running it from somewhere else?
Do you mean the beta .exe? I put it in the same folder where the current official release was at.
William

Post by William »

sorry, file manager in windows is called Explorer, but I don't remember if XP has any of the blocking capabilities in the file properties.
I guess I'd start turning things off, antivirus and any security software first, and see what happens.

It is strange... I've not seen it before.

So you're saying that it all works OK when the original .exe is used, but when you rename it to something else, then rename the beta, which is in the same folder, you get the error message.
Do you get the error message when you run the beta without renaming it? (in the program app folder along side the original?)
Does this happen with all betas', or just one in particular?
toconvertvid

Post by toconvertvid »

Here's exactly what I did:

First, I deleted the "theword.exe" file (the current official release).

Then, I renamed the beta (version 1230) to "theword.exe".

Next, I opened the program (the beta; at this point and beyond the only version of theWord I had installed).
That's when I got the pop-up message I posted. The tabs for the modules that messaged listed were not showing up in the program.

So then I closed the program, renamed the beta back to "theword-3.2.1.1230.exe," re-opened the program and everything worked fine again. The modules that "went missing" were now showing up again (the tabs) in the opened program.

Now that it's working fine again, I guess it doesn't really matter. But, should these modules be moved anyway as the pop-up message said? If that be the case, why did the program put them in the wrong folder to begin with??

For further clarification:
The beta was, and is, in the same program folder as the official release (which is now deleted -- the official release).
This is the first time I renamed a beta, so I can't answer your question if it happened on a different beta.