X warning encountered from IE-9 while downloading TheWord

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
l_d_allan

X warning encountered from IE-9 while downloading TheWord

Post by l_d_allan »

* Win-7-64 and IE-9 with all updates
* and up-to-date malware utilities (AVG-Free as primary and Adaware-Free for secondary)
* TW 3.2.1.1167 installed

Sorry if this has previously been reported.

I was attempting to "Download Now" the latest and greatest TW to prepare a gift CD for an acquaintance. To my surprise I got a very alarming warning from IE9 (see attachment for screen shot):
"X theword-setup-en.exe is not commonly downloaded and could harm your computer."

I have to doubt that this is "as expected". Perhaps the problem is PEBKAC due to having IE9 set to a moderately higher level of security than the default. Or some other setting? As appropriate, I would be happy to supply screen-shots of my IE9 settings.

I went ahead and downloaded the install package, as I have a Great Deal of Trust in csterg's software. I haven't done anything else with it, although I am thinking of running AVG and then Adaware to have it "sniff" the .exe

HTH
Attachments
Screen shot encountered after clicking on "Download Now".
Screen shot encountered after clicking on "Download Now".
111107a_TheWordDownloadWarning.jpg (107.04 KiB) Viewed 6347 times
RubioTerra

Re: X warning encountered from IE-9 while downloading TheWor

Post by RubioTerra »

This is just a caution notice based upon popularity of the file. Alas, theWord is not as widespread as WinZip, Skype, etc., therefore the warning.
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
l_d_allan

Post by l_d_allan »

I respectfully disagree. BB doesn't encounter this message. TW could be losing half or more of it's downloads if people encounter this message. I Would Never Install An App That Had An X Warning.
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

I'm saying, this is just a warning based upon download popularity, as the message clearly states. Read more about it here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2010 ... ation.aspx
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
l_d_allan

Post by l_d_allan »

RubioTerra wrote:I'm saying, this is just a warning based upon download popularity, as the message clearly states.
Well, not meaning to be argumentative, but how about a simple test ... download anything from the following webpage:
http://www.berbible.org/downloads.php

And according to the URL supplied, this is a feature of IE9-BETA

> When we released the IE9 beta about a month ago we talked about the importance of trust and confidence when working with downloads. Today, we are enabling the SmartScreen application reputation service to improve download protection for IE9 beta users. This feature works together with the SmartScreen anti-malware service that protects IE8 and IE9 beta users every day.
l_d_allan

Post by l_d_allan »

Screen-shot from less than 5 minutes ago ...
Attachments
111109b_TheWordDownloadWarning.jpg
111109b_TheWordDownloadWarning.jpg (94.37 KiB) Viewed 6279 times
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

This is interesting Lynn. If it is as you say, do you know why this warning pops up then? Because it surely has nothing to do with malware as you know.
Costas
l_d_allan

Post by l_d_allan »

csterg ... I really don't know. I was Very Surprised when it appeared. Have you or someone in the USA been able to replicate it?

Has anyone on your team tried downloading ANYTHING from www.berbible.org with a "vanilla" IE9 (not the Beta from MONTHS AGO). I claim that "X Warning Message" won't show up.

At the time of the OP, I did have IE9 set with a higher level of security than normal ... mostly for cookies (Block + Block + Allow session). However, I do have TW-forum "Always Allow" ... obviously ... because I can participate on this forum.

I can check what happens with (Prompt + Prompt + Allow-session).
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

To be perfectly honest, i tend to disregard IE9 a bit... i have problems with IE9 with most progams i try to download (and i don't personally use IE9 unless i am forced to). I always get these annoying warnings so i really don't care much. I think that most people are already used to ignore them
Costas
JG

Post by JG »

It is strange that on a stock W7 and ie 9, I don't get this warning. But I do use Microsoft Security Essentials, with real-time protection and have basic membership to the SpyNet setting. Perhaps this overrides the warning.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
royhieatt

Post by royhieatt »

Hi Jon,

I have the same setup you do and also have never encountered a problem. Back when I was using Comodo security suite I always got the TW warning, but as with others just ignored it.

Costas,

Like you, I don't use ie9 unless necessary, and with the other browsers I have never had a problem.

Roy
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Lynn, I also don't use IE, but I fired it up just to test. I have the same version of IE you have from your screenshot (I think it auto-updates even though I ignore it.)

It didn't give me any warnings, it just said:
Do you want to run or save theword-setup-en.exe(36.7MB) from www.theword.net?
and started downloading when I clicked "save."

I was guessing the warning may come from MS Security Essentials, but I don't use it, so it was just a guess.

I am in the US (western WY).

For a hundred thousand dollars MS may test TW and declare it safe. :lol:
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
l_d_allan

Post by l_d_allan »

I was installing the HCSB and ESV updates on Win8+IE10, and got the same X warning:
version.ontx.exe is not commonly downloaded and could harm your computer.

When I over-rode the warning, Win8 put up a message ...
"Windows protected your PC
Windows SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk.
Unknown Publisher
App: version.ontx.exe"

There was an option for "More info" which had a "Run anyway", which allowed me to proceed.

NBD? (no big deal?) ... but I don't recall ever seeing this message from any other website because of a download.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hi Lynn,
thanks for bringing this up. I have no idea what to do with these messages to be honest. Do you?
Anyone else?

The new version will also have an integrated 'Install modules' functions where one can install modules with running the .exe file (the latest beta has this feature already), yet i would also like to fix this,
Costas
JG

Post by JG »

I am sure that anyone here can Google for an answer to this question.
But here is a clear one for you.
http://www.7tutorials.com/what-smartscr ... es-it-work
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet