Overlooking Modules To Be Placed In Sets

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
Doctordavet

Overlooking Modules To Be Placed In Sets

Post by Doctordavet »

Hi, Everyone,

One of the features I absolutely adore about this program is the availability to sort modules. When I first started using digital Bible software (early 1990's), sorting through a dozen modules was not an issue. But now - with 1,000+ excellent modules on my system, finding the great stuff I have can be a chore when not properly sorted. So, thanks Costas, for the ability to custom build sets.

Now, here is my question: is there some way that I can automatically know if there are any modules that are not currently linked to a custom made set?

Example: let's pretend that I have a module called "Dave's Expository Notes on Hezekiah.gbk.twm" in the right folder on my C: drive. If I forgot to place it in my custom "Books of Hezekiah" module set, I'll never see it again. So, is there some way to find all of the books that haven't been custom filed yet?
Dave
Free Modules at
http://www.DoctorDaveT.com
DarrelW

Re: Overlooking Modules To Be Placed In Sets

Post by DarrelW »

Oh that is a GOOD question! I look forward to the answer(s).
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Wow, difficult question with no generic answer, either in tw or in my mind :)
How would one answer that?

The proper question would probably be:
"Given a list of 'Module Sets', is this module contained at least once in at least one of them"?

And another question is:
"Given a list of 'Module Sets', tell me all the modules not contained in any of these".

Both question could have easy answers, if implemented in code I suppose. Is this what you are looking for? I am not sure a generic 'answering' mechanism can be build, only answers to such specific questions.

I am thinking that creating a GUI to answer this will not be very simple and i am not sure how useful in general it would be. What do you think?

A simple answer for a simple set is this:
You load a set in a Book view, and you use the 'search edit box' to see if the given module is contained. But this only answers for one set and for a module you already know beforehand.

Costas
alpha_omega

Post by alpha_omega »

Hi,

With the number of modules growing large in a library, the need for a system of sorting, ordering, and arranging them properly is important.

A nice suggestion, would be to have a library window, with a tree view at the side, where modules could be sorted, by type, author, name, user defined sets, size, etc. and by tags. It would be nice if modules could be tagged.

Thanks
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

I do concur. My library is a MESS to maintain, so I end up not (which is even worse.)

Darrel
Doctordavet

Post by Doctordavet »

csterg wrote:And another question is:
"Given a list of 'Module Sets', tell me all the modules not contained in any of these".
BAAM! That's it! That's the vocabulary I was missing! That's the tool I was looking for in TheWord.

I try to file every module I add immediately, but I know I've made a few errors. So, I know I have some modules that don't have homes in any sets. Result: they will never be accessed.

At this point, I guess TW can't do that. May I ask you to consider adding this at some point in the (near) future?
Dave
Free Modules at
Leoram

Post by Leoram »

I don't like to mention other Bible applications, but Logos has had this feature for some years. Basically, I think, what it does is that it produces an ad-hoc report. It opens a window that lists all the resources the program has indexed and sorts according to your custom sets. It also lists the resources you have not added to any of the sets as a separate group on the list. You can run this report whenever you want and it only takes several seconds to generate.

It's very useful. However, besides all its striking features, I decided to abandon Logos for theWord some years ago. I am quite satisfied with theWord. I'd like Costas adds this feature if technically feasible.
Leoram
SolitaryWay

Post by SolitaryWay »

Wow! You found a thousand? I thought I was lucky to find one of a thousand; and still find it handy to keep a broom nearby :). Of course, I would find it hard to put away the TSK in some old forgotten and dusty file bin. You gotta' love all those handy Scripture references :idea:. Yeah, theWord does an amazing job of keeping things uncluttered and organized on the desktop. It can make it much easier then to focus on what really requires the greatest admiration and attention. What a Book :!: Praise the God of Truth.

"And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.
Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."

(Ecclesiastes 12:12-13)
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

New functionality in build 1269 to cover this requirement, please test.

The 'Define Module Sets' dialog has been enhanced. Specifically, the 'Available modules' list is now a multi-column tree-table that can be sorted. Moreover, it includes a new column named 'in #sets' that displays in how many sets each module is a member. Obviously, one can see if a module is not part of any set. Hovering the mouse over this column provides a hint that displays all the sets that this module is part of (default sets excluded).
The Filter at the bottom now searches all columns. To find the text of a specific column (e.g. filter all modules with 0 occurences in sets), put a space before and after, e.g. ' 0 '.

Hope this covers the requirements above, feedback welcome
Costas
tonydowden

Post by tonydowden »

Hi Costas,

Just had a quick look at this new feature. Excellent, I have needed something like this to help me sort my library which is lietrally a mess. I shall have great pleasure in sorting out all my modules over this weekend.

Thanks once again for all of your hard work and also for listening to feedback and supplying what people need. I praise God for you and all that you do.

Thanks again,

Tony
Words are the clothes our thoughts wear
Doctordavet

Post by Doctordavet »

Costas,

This is exactly the tool I needed. About 3% of my library had either not been properly filed, or was a duplicate. Very nice indeed to be able to get all of this straightened around. And nice to have access to those files again.

Thank you very much for taking the time to add this feature to the current build, prior to the release of the next public stable software. I appreciate it much - and I think it will be a great benefit to those who have built/collected large libraries.

I would like to make one observation: when clicking in the left window ("title", "author", "abbrev") in order to alphabetize the left window by characteristic, the right window also gets alphabetized - which I did not like at all. Fortunately, this does not change the display order once the "Define Module Sets" area is finished, but the first time I was in there, I spent way too much time trying to re-order the right side (my custom sets). I eventually figured out that it did not change the actual display area, but that may be quite disconcerting to some users.

Again, thank you so very much for your kindness, this wonderful tool, and specifically right now for adding this feature.
Dave
Free Modules at
JG

Post by JG »

Hi Costas,
The added functionality is very useful.

Can you give the dialog a "memory" so that it will open at the last closed size, including column widths.
Can you give the new copy dialog a memory while you are there also?

Can the filter be selective of the column that it is operating on so #Author Mickelson or even combined #Author Mickel #and #Category Dictionary

Just a few Ideas as I have not managed to break it yet. :)
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
Doctordavet

Post by Doctordavet »

JG wrote:Can you give the dialog a "memory" so that it will open at the last closed size, including column widths....

Can the filter be selective of the column that it is operating on so #Author Mickelson or even combined #Author Mickel #and #Category Dictionary

These are both very good suggestions. As I was working with my library, I was in and out of that dialog box often; having it memorize my settings would have been most helpful! Also, when looking for "0"s, I really only want to see them in one field ("in #sets"), so being able to filter down to just that one column would be helpful, too.

Nice suggestions, Jon.

And one more thing, Costas. In the "Create Custom Set Advanced" box, in the left window, I tried to drag the "Title" to the left of "Abbrev". But when I did that, it moved the the titles to the left of the module type. I see that they are still in that order, but some users might be confused by that.

Again, loving this new feature!
Dave
Free Modules at
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Doctordavet wrote: I would like to make one observation: when clicking in the left window ("title", "author", "abbrev") in order to alphabetize the left window by characteristic, the right window also gets alphabetized - which I did not like at all.
Of course you shouldn't like that, it's a bug :)
Fixed it for the upcoming build
Costas
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

JG wrote: Can you give the dialog a "memory" so that it will open at the last closed size, including column widths.
Can you give the new copy dialog a memory while you are there also?
Yes and Yes.
No, too much work for small gain. I mean by being a bit more imaginative you can use the filter more or less to do the work i think. Adding this kind of filtering would require much more work (and not a place to explain it).
Well, I feel proud :)
Costas