Dual Instances (Compact Mode) and Dual Monitors

Share your favorite tips, workarounds and shortcuts for theWord
blcjr

Dual Instances (Compact Mode) and Dual Monitors

Post by blcjr »

I've just recently discovered The Word (the software, of course, not "The Word of God" -- that I've known all my life), and am suitably impressed. What drew me too it, at first, was its ability to run as a "portable" app (Compact Mode). Imagine, then, how I felt when I discovered that it will run multiple instances. Whether that is tied to running it in Compact Mode, or would be possible with a complete install, I cannot say. I only have experience with running it in Compact Mode.

Here's an image of it running as two instances on dual wide screen monitors:

Both instances were started from the same folder on a flash drive.

My main concern, if someone can help, is to discern any potential issues doing this. As long as no files are being changed (written) while both instances are running, I don't imagine there are issues. But I can imagine an issue if writing to files (including creating module sets, and the like). Also, I would imagine that in the example I have in the screen shot, how The Word will open depends on which instance was closed last. For now, my practice is to only make changes I wish to save (such as to "My-Verse-notes") to the "primary" instance (in my case, it is the instance showing in the left monitor screen shot), and it down last. That seems to be working as I would expect.

I would like to know, however, what files are typically modified when using The Word, so I can monitor their behavior as I test this mode of operation. Am I correct that window positions and contents are generally stored in "module.cache.dat." In using The Word today, that, and "Verse-notes.cmt.twm" are the only files that I can see that have changed with the latest session. Have I overlooked anything?

This is an impressive piece of software. Thank you very much, Costa. My God's countenance shine upon you!

Basil
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Dual Instances (Compact Mode) and Dual Monitors

Post by csterg »

Hello Basil,
yes, you are correct that you can run multiple instances with no problem. More or less you identified the issues and you are asking the proper questions :)
This is a description of files being used: http://www.theword.net/manual/files_use ... e_word.htm
Layout settings (including module sets for the Bible view and layouts) are written in the config.ini: this file is usually written when theWord exits, so last instance that exits will overwrite it.
File corresponding to notes (e.g. modules) can be written by both instances with no problem (e.g. My Verse Notes, My Subject Notes, etc). Same applies for verse lists. Don't expect refreshes to be instant (e.g. adding a topic to 'My Verse notes' will only appear to the other instance once you click on another tab and then back to it).
In general, it's pretty safe.

But, it's very easy to have 2 instances with different config.ini file, here is the rule:
In compact mode, theword.exe will use the file config.ini that finds in the same dir. So, just create 2 different dirs (e.g. bin1, bin2) and copy 2 times the file theword.exe in there. This means that each one will use a separate config.ini.

To share modules, read here: http://www.theword.net/manual/working_d ... e_conf.htm
You will need to edit each config.ini and add the 'extra.paths' options to point to the proper dir (can be relative).

Hope this helps,
Ask if you need more info,
Costas
JG

Post by JG »

Hi, Basil,
if you have some time can you explain why you would need to run two instances like this?
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
blcjr

Post by blcjr »

JG,

Running two instances doubles the number of bibles and books that can be opened at the same time. I am usually content with two bibles, but when doing sermon or lesson preparation, it is nice to be able to open more than just two books at the same time. And sometimes, while it may suffice to have a single English version viewable, I may like to have more than one version of a bible coded to various lexical resources open at one time. I have the NASB "bundle" which provides a very functional interlinear. But it doesn't display morphology or TVM. However, I have a couple of other Greek texts with this, so I can easily have my English version (ESV) open, and two or three Greek bibles open, with the latter each linked to different Strong's resources so that each gives something different in mouse over popups, leaving the associated Book view window free for yet something else. And eventually, I shall get BDAG/NA27, and will have even more reason to run two instances so as to have 4 Bible and 4 Book views available.

Moreover, it is sometimes desirable to expand a window, so as to see more of the resource. But this takes away from what is viewable with other resources. With two instances, the second can be used for this purpose, leaving the first intact in its normal mode of use. Now all of this is contingent upon having dual monitors, though I could imagine someone taking advantage of this with virtual desktops. On my main computer, I have four virtual desktops. I do not use that feature much, since I have two widescreen monitors, and that normally suffices to have enough desktop/screen real estate to open everything I want to have open.

I hope this explains the utility I see in running two instances. This might well overwhelm some, but I'm used to having a busy desktop spread across two widescreen monitors, so it suits my work style.

Basil
Rich

Post by Rich »

blcjr
Running two instances doubles the number of bibles and books that can be opened at the same time.
I am also using duel monitors. I have tried running two instances of TW at the same time; compact mode and normal installation, with no problems. I am more satisfied running one program and using "floating windows" on the second monitor. I can sync the floating views with which ever Bible view I want and also re size them as I need to.

Rich
blcjr

Post by blcjr »

Rich wrote:blcjr
Running two instances doubles the number of bibles and books that can be opened at the same time.
I am also using duel monitors. I have tried running two instances of TW at the same time; compact mode and normal installation, with no problems. I am more satisfied running one program and using "floating windows" on the second monitor. I can sync the floating views with which ever Bible view I want and also re size them as I need to.

Rich
"floating windows..." I'll have to try that. Thanks for the tip.
Teleios

Post by Teleios »

One of the things I love about TheWord is the ability to have floating windows. I have 2 monitors, one widescreen and one that is 4:3. The way I like to work is to have the widescreen display show the main program window with 3 Bible windows and 3 book windows. On the second monitor I keep search windows and "extra" Bible / book windows open. Perhaps I want to keep a Bible window open to a certain Old Testament passage while I'm using the main 3 Bible windows to compare the Greek with 2 other versions. I'll just open the OT passage in a new, floating window. The cool thing is that when I saved this arrangement, TW remembered the floating windows, too.
blcjr

Post by blcjr »

The tip to use "floating windows" to take use of a dual monitor configuration works quite nicely. Thanks for the tip.
NunezP

Post by NunezP »

Sounds curious... I didn't know about such a possibility, but since I have found it out, I will try it myself.
blcjr

Post by blcjr »

NunezP wrote:Sounds curious... I didn't know about such a possibility, but since I have found it out, I will try it myself.
Do you mean you didn't know about dual instances, or about floating windows? While I might still find a circumstance where I want to run dual instances, the tip about floating windows has led me to adopt that approach for normal use. I generally have the main program in a 2x2 view -- two bible windows on top, and two book views on the bottom, with a third bible view open to almost full screen on the second monitor. (Floating windows cannot be "maximized" so I just keep it at "almost full screen" on the second monitor.) I use my left bible and book view for expository resources, including bible views busy with cross references and commentary links, and the right bible and book views for lexical reference (Greek or interlinear bibles, and a book view that focuses on lexical resources). In the larger "almost full screen" bible view on the second monitor, I have my bible of preference (ESV 2011) open with no cross references or other links, for ease of reading (and copying).

The flexibility of theWord is incredible.
kenyanguy

Post by kenyanguy »

Awesome feature.... I had posted on how to extend the functionality of theWord to support dual screen. (Great solution in using floating windows).
I still go ahead and add to ask:-
1. Is it possible to have a view where only one verse is visible on the floating window (or where I get to select the number of verses I would like to display, discarding the rest)?

2. If I'm having this 'one-verse-view-thing' asked above, is it possible to have transitions between the various selects?

3. Is the background of the view limited to color only (is there a provision of images too)?

4. Having multiple Bible views, is there a way I could like double-click one of the views to display to another one still visible?
(I'm having 3 Bible Views:1, 2, & 3. Two on the main window and the 3rd one floating on the secondary monitor. Bible view 2 is synchronized to Bible View 3 such that what I select in BV2 is auto-updated in BV3, on the sec monitor. BV1 is used to navigate and search. Once I get a certain verse, I'd like to update this to BV2 and in turn BV3 without having to research again. Hope I'm clear. So is it possible?)
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

kenyanguy wrote: 1. Is it possible to have a view where only one verse is visible on the floating window (or where I get to select the number of verses I would like to display, discarding the rest)?
You can do that with a verse list. All Bible views have a 'List' button, and there you can display one or more verses or ranges.
2. If I'm having this 'one-verse-view-thing' asked above, is it possible to have transitions between the various selects?
Hm, not really (not transitions). You can save though multiple lists and switch between those.
3. Is the background of the view limited to color only (is there a provision of images too)?
No, you can have background images. Tools->Bible view options->Font colors and styles->Reader's background image (need one of latest beta for it).
4. Having multiple Bible views, is there a way I could like double-click one of the views to display to another one still visible?
(I'm having 3 Bible Views:1, 2, & 3. Two on the main window and the 3rd one floating on the secondary monitor. Bible view 2 is synchronized to Bible View 3 such that what I select in BV2 is auto-updated in BV3, on the sec monitor. BV1 is used to navigate and search. Once I get a certain verse, I'd like to update this to BV2 and in turn BV3 without having to research again. Hope I'm clear. So is it possible?)
Well, you can do the sync thing of course, but you cannot do that with single verse, only with Bible texts. So you can sync as you describe, but it will be the whole text of the Bible, of course scrolling to the desired verse,
Costas
JG

Post by JG »

Perhaps you can use the CM (clipboard monitor) to display single verses.
You would need to change some settings so that it would react to clipboard activity initiated within theWord, and show in your required location with the appropriate translation.
CM.jpg
CM.jpg (56.76 KiB) Viewed 11947 times
Then when you left click as shown at the bottom right of the main theWord window,
Copy verse to Clipboard.jpg
Copy verse to Clipboard.jpg (14.42 KiB) Viewed 11947 times
the shown verse is noticed by the CM and displays in a popup.
Clipboard Monitor Popup shown below.
CM popoup.jpg
CM popoup.jpg (18.59 KiB) Viewed 11947 times
Once that CM window is open you can scroll to the next/previous verse with the mousewheel when the pointer is in the yellow area. So additionally you could send each verse to a verse list from here.

The List View also has the flexibility to expand/change the start position of verses.
If you use pointer & mousewheel over the verse reference in the List View, whilst holding down two other keys you can expand the verse range.
Shift+Ctrl+Wheel down, expands the verse range.
Shift+Alt+Wheel up/down, changes the offset position of the starting verse.
You can also use this feature from the menu, if you right click in the List View over some of the text of a verse.

Costas has built so much into theWord that it is difficult to describe all the possibilities for a particular use. Perhaps with more use and experimentation you will find just what you need.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
kenyanguy

Post by kenyanguy »

Thanks people. I got one of the beta versions and I'm now using image-based backgrounds on floating windows of the bible view. This is really useful in my local church since I can get various versions of Bibles and display them through an external projector. theWord is really cool! Thumbs up Csterg
kenyanguy

Post by kenyanguy »

About theword-3.2.1.1283. Is it a bug that views are not resizing properly with resizing the main window? Or the program ain't interpreting the screen dimensions properly.? Then I still noted the previous stable version still ain't resizable at the corners of the window. The window escapes the mouse drag when you try to resize at the edges... Anyone noted that or it's my version?