tip: commentary linking (library of sorts)

Share your favorite tips, workarounds and shortcuts for theWord
barolam

Re: tip: commentary linking (library of sorts)

Post by barolam »

your welcome! the attachment is the first time i've prepared a module for distrubution so hopefully i did it right...

i'm glad this is being found useful and i appreciate all the feedback...
Last edited by barolam on Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Come on, we all use the talents that God gave us. And let us hope we use them according to His will.
paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

This is a fantastic idea. Thanks to all who contributed.

The only problem I'm having it that setting commentaries to sync is global, which causes my running user commentary, which I like to work on at the more stable chapter level, to jump around verse by verse.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

paul1149 wrote:This is a fantastic idea. Thanks to all who contributed.

The only problem I'm having it that setting commentaries to sync is global, which causes my running user commentary, which I like to work on at the more stable chapter level, to jump around verse by verse.
What if you use a different Boook view?
Costas
paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

csterg wrote:What if you use a different Boook view?
Costas
That's what I did. I created a floater which I'm keeping narrow and off to the side.

What I'm finding is that, using that and another Book view, and going between two Bible windows as well, with commentaries synced, each book view syncs to the last-used Bible window. I'm not entirely sure of the behavior, but it seems that if I click in Bible A and then Book 1, Book 1 will sync to Bible A (at the verse level). But then clicking in Book 2 does not effect a sync; it just sits there. But then if I click in Bible B and then Book 2, Book 2 picks up the Bible B sync, while Book 1 is unaffected.

So two problems seem to be surfacing: the global nature of the commentary sync isn't as I would expect, and while this may be by design, not being able to specify each commentary window to book/chapter/verse level syncing is going to make my user commentary jump all over the place. I'm in Beta 1281.
paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

My apologies. I see now that the link function isn't global. I'm still getting the dependent linking action, but at least my user module isn't bouncing around all over the place. Half way there! :)
paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Good morning, team. Sorry for my continuing messes, but today on opening TW there were two new developments. First, the links commentary we are discussing here now followed whatever Bible window I clicked on, without any need for initial "orientation clicks" first. IOW, it behaved as I would want, and as I think it should. Good.

But at the same time the actual links in the module were not showing, as was discussed early in this very thread. I clicked all over the place to get them to manifest. I cycled TW. Nothing has made the links show in the new module.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hi Paul,
if i explain 2 things, all will become clear i think.

1. The driving view is, each time, the active Bible view. All book views listen/sync to the one, single, active Bible view. There are no groups at the moment.
2. The reason you seem confused is because the Book views get synced with the one active Bible view only if they are active, depending on a setting!
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg (17.63 KiB) Viewed 7389 times
Check the Link this view even if inactive option there pls. This is what confuses you. Check for each Book view this option and you will know if it follows or not. By default, an active Book view ALWAYS follows. A non-active only follows if this option is checked.
Of course you need to have the Link commentaries option checked.

Does this help clarify the behavior?
Costas
paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Yes, Costas, that clears things up a lot. I discovered that setting yesterday, and wasn't sure what it did, but checked it. It must have been then that the behavior began doing what I wanted it to, so that is good.

But I'm still having the problem of the empty "link commentary" not showing links (even after clicking in various Bible views). I deleted and recreated the module, specifying the path to comply with that of the other commentaries, to no avail. I'm including a screenshot of the View and the module's properties sheet.

Thanks again.

p.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (58.66 KiB) Viewed 7385 times
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

The commentary links provided there are from the commentaries of this book view, not from all the commentaries installed.
Just select the 'Commentaries' set for this Book view, and all will work,
Costas
paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Aha... that was the key. That possibility had not occurred to me. Amazing how quickly things get complex.

Thanks, Costas, and have a blessed day.

p.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

paul1149 wrote:Aha... that was the key. That possibility had not occurred to me. Amazing how quickly things get complex.

Thanks, Costas, and have a blessed day.

p.
Glad we sorted this out.
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

I have created a commentary that lists all commentaries for the selected verse, but it appears to only work if the commentaries are part of that set. Am I missing something? I would like this commentary to show hyperlinks to all my commentaries and not just the ones included in this commentary. does that make sense?

darrel
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Just make sure that in the Book view you are showing it, you also have ALL the commentaries.
Just select the 'Commentaries' set for this Book view
Costas
barolam

Post by barolam »

I believe the reason it has worked for me without any of the issues mentioned is that I have all of my non-bible modules (including my "CommLink" module), organized into one "module set" which I simply call "extras".
in the event that this method may be helpful/useful to others, I will try to briefly explain my setup:
in this "module set", I have my "subject notes" module first, then folder-tabs as such--
Books - which contains all of my ".gbk" modules, being further divided into folders such as, "Christianity", "Judaism", "Maps", etc. Each of which are again furthur divided, e.g., under "Christianity", sub-folders include: "Protestant", "Catholic", "Eastern Orthodox", "Early Church Era", etc. Each of which once again are furthur divided if/as needed either alphabetically or by subject.
Commentaries - sub-folders include "Bible", "OT", & "NT".
Dictionaries - includes "Hebrew/OT", "Heb & Grk", "Greek/NT", "English/Others", etc.
and then after these in the tab bar is located my "CommLink" module for quick viewing.

this setup also allows me to have two "Book views" open simultaneously, each with the "extras" module set activated along side the "Bible view", so if i'm reading something from a general book in one viewer, say, Schaff's Church History, I can quickly check something in a commentary or dictionary or another book in the second viewer without switching between module sets. I guess, in other words, having everything accessible in two different views works well for me.

another plus is that having it set up like this, there are only a few "root" tabs, leaving the tab bar uncluttered and easily navigable. my only wish at this point is that I could have the option to do something similar with my "bible view". But I'm not sure how easy or difficult that would be to implement. if I remember right, in a previous thread, something like that was discussed but ruled as not a top priority, which I can understand...

hope this was helpful...