Windows-based tablet?

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
fifeplayer

Windows-based tablet?

Post by fifeplayer »

Will any of theWord 4 work on tablet PCs with a Windows OS?
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Windows-based tablet?

Post by csterg »

Yes, theWord 4 will work on windows tablets,
Costas
ichbindasauge

Post by ichbindasauge »

Just a few notes about that: If you are talking about the newest generation of Windows tablets, theWord will not work on all of them.

Some tablets (like the Microsoft Surface RT) are not running the full version of Windows but Windows RT, which is a special version for tablets with ARM processors. They can only run Apps downloaded from the Windows store (the Microsoft equivalent to the iPhone App store) and that are using the new user interface. TheWord obviously doesn't fall into that category and you won't be able to run it on these tablets.

Other tablets (for example the Microsoft Surface Pro) are running the full Windows 8 or 8 Pro. These also use the new user interface and can run windows Store Apps, but can also run all programs that could be used under Windows 7, including, of course, theWord.

I am thinking myself, I might by get a Microsoft Surface Pro or something similar next year (if finances allow...). The number of people using tablets with Windows will probably increase a lot in the next couple of years. May I make a suggestion? Why not make theWord more touch-friendly? A separate Windows Store App would be a possibility, but that might mean to have two completely separate versions that could not use the same files. From my point of view, an option in the main program to switch to a touch-friendly layout would be better and would mean the best of both worlds (but that way you would still exclude Windows RT users).

Thanks for all your work, Costas! I know this is just one suggestion on your already very long list :)

Bernhard
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Bernhard,
thank you for your very useful post! I was not aware that Microsoft had WinRT only tablets... now it makes more sense why they did what they did with Windows 8.
If a WinRT version is build, it should be a different one than the current (similar ton an IPad or Android version). But i agree that the current version can be enhanced at several points to be more touch friendly,
Costas
ichbindasauge

Post by ichbindasauge »

Thanks, Costas, for considering that!

As I said, a separate layout, that you can switch to easily might make those happy that have a touch screen, but also those that need all the options available easily, because they can stay in the full layout.

Bernhard
engellion

Post by engellion »

Hi Costas.

I'm considering buying a Microsoft Surface running Windows RT. Just wondering if you would definitely consider a Windows RT version (running on ARM processors). I understand it is an easy path for programmers to code once and compile for Windows 8 RT as well as Windows 8 Pro.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
Paul.

PS +1 for a Touch friendly interface option in theWord.
PaulC

Check out YouTube for theWord Bible Software Tutorial Series 1
A series of introductory video tutorials for theWord Bible Software
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Not a decision yet. The WinRT is still a very small market and I think I would first target the iPad if i went that way.
I am still unconvinced of these markets, although they have a pretty good share. I understand that the need there is very different: there is no need for a Bible study program, its mostly a Bible reader that people are looking for and there are already plenty. I wonder how different can theWord be.
Costas
Doctordavet

Post by Doctordavet »

Hi, Costas,

Watching what is happening with eSHD, I can tell you something that would make TW for iPad stand out:

The ability to seamlessly utilize TW modules for use on the TWiPad app.

eSHD is basically a reader for eSword modules; but every module is in a different format. So it is really a different/separate program. If an iPad application could be made that shared modules between the iPad itself and the user's laptop/desktop, that would make TW stand "head and shoulders over the people" (but in a very good way!).

eSHD does not make users pay twice for premium modules (once for iPad, once for Windows); but in every other sense, eS and eSHD are two completely different programs. If you make TW and TWforiPad seamless.... Yeah, now we're talking about something!
Dave
Free Modules at
http://www.DoctorDaveT.com
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

OK, i see this point. I am looking into the mobile market for some time now but I am still undecided to go there.
engellion

Post by engellion »

Costas,

I appreciate that you will give some consideration to developing for Tablets.

As far as the feasibility of a Tablet version of theWord is concerned, I agree with Doctor Dave. Being able to seamlessly use the same modules in the desktop environment as well as in the Tablet environment is what would make theWord different from all other Bible Readers out there--particularly for user created modules, as well as accessing personal notes on verses etc.

I imagine that there are many others who like myself, not only use theWord for Bible study, but also for sermon preparation and delivery. I regularly preach from sermons that I have created as modules in theWord. Right now I use my laptop for this. Being able to use theWord in Tablet mode would make this a whole lot more valuable.

As it stands now, I need to use my laptop to bring up theWord if I want to preach from a sermon I have prepared, and do not have access to a printer. Or else copy it from theWord and save it as a Word Processor document, which can be then utilised by a Tablet device. Currently, in the Windows environment, I have most of my working documents synched with Skydrive (Microsoft's online cloud service, similar to iCloud, DropBox, etc.) I am able then to access any of these synched documents from any computer/tablet running a web browser or from my Windows Phone. I would like to be able to also synch theWord modules to SkyDrive, then call them down to my Tablet for use in theWord. This way any updates done in the Tablet environment, would synch back to SkyDrive and in turn to my Desktop version of theWord.

Regarding iOS vs WinRT, yes WinRT is still a small market, but being associated with Windows 8, it may be easier to compile for. I understand theWord is developed in a .Net environment. I have no idea what that means from a developers perspective, nor if it is any easier to develop for one environment verses another, as I am not a developer. But MS talk about the ability to cross-compile apps for both Windows 8 Pro and for WinRT. Here is an interesting post in an answer to a question from the MSDN forums concerning the relationship of WinRT to .Net and Win8 Pro:
  • WinRT is a set of Windows 8 OS APIs based on classes, objects and members (as compared to the Win32 APIs which were flat C DLL export APIs). As WinRT APIs are OS APIs, they are available to applications running on Windows 8 and later systems.
    .NET applications can call Win32 APIs (via P/Invoke) and WinRT APIs (which appear to a .NET developer similar to a familar .NET Framework API).
    Similarly, C++ applications can call C runtime APIs and WinRT APIs.
    Similarly, JavaScript applications can call JavaScript library functions (e.g. JQuery) and WinRT APIs.
    .NET in Windows 8 is not "based on WinRT" but more that .NET now has the ability to call WinRT OS APIs in a manner natural and familar to the language.
    Some WinRT APIs can be used by Metro style applications and some WinRT APIs can be used by Desktop application. Some of the WinRT APIs can be used from either type of applications. There is nothing instrinsic to WinRT that means a WinRT APIs is solely usable from Metro style applications.
    WinRT is a Windows 8 and later API surface.
    Brent Rector - Windows Runtime Experience team
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums ... 78ad119d3c
Appreciate your thoughts on this Costas.

Blessings,
Paul
PaulC

csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Thanks Paul for sharing these thoughts.
theWord is not written in .Net, but in Delphi. But this is kind of irrelevant to be honest, because with win8, microsoft managed to break the promise of 'write once'. Even from a end-user perspective, a winRT application is a completely different experience than a legacy win app. Take for example any of the existing winRT apps (like internet explorer msn/skype, etc). The WinRT version are not just re-compilations of the legacy versions, they are completely new, cut-down versions.
To make a joke of it, you can make a WinRT app by taking any app and leaving only 3-5 buttons and functions in it :)
Costas
engellion

Post by engellion »

Thanks Costas.
To make a joke of it, you can make a WinRT app by taking any app and leaving only 3-5 buttons and functions in it
Does this mean that you will consider at least a WinRT reader? ;-)
PaulC

csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Not really :) I am considering many things, but it doesn't mean I will do anything...
eliranwong

Post by eliranwong »

csterg wrote:... I think I would first target the iPad if i went that way....
Costas
I am really excited that iPad is your first target. I had used e-sword desktop version for many years until I found the greatness of theWord. I totally stopped using e-sword and use theWord instead last few years.

and I managed to use theWord in Mac as well. but I can't resist the convenience of iPad. I now seldom turn on desktop computers. And recent release of e-sword HD makes me shift back to e-sword. Personally, theWord is definitely better than e-sword, in terms of available modules, search functions, and search ability for Chinese words. It is my dream to have theWord appear in my iPad.

And I use keyboard (even typing this response) with iPad. So I use iPad for bible study, rather than simple a reader.

Eliran
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Thanks for the feedback Eliran