Greek Exegesis Layout

Share your favorite tips, workarounds and shortcuts for theWord
Doctordavet

Greek Exegesis Layout

Post by Doctordavet »

Hi, Fellow Pilgrims,

I've written a blog about using TW for NT exegesis. I have it loaded up at my website; but there aren't any links to it yet. It's not yet findable on the internet, except for right here -

http://www.doctordavet.com/exegesistwblog.html

I'd like to make it available for all of my users in a day or two, or perhaps even three. But first, I would greatly appreciate critical feedback from the users of this forum. You folks tend to be more tech-oriented than I am. Also, I'm still learning this software, so I may have made some critical errors. Or, there may just be better ways to do things.

If you're willing, would you take a look at my blog, especially with a critical eye? And would you be so kind to report back here any statements that need to be corrected or clarified? Or perhaps some suggestions that can make the blog better?
Dave
Free Modules at
http://www.DoctorDaveT.com
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Greek Exegesis Layout

Post by csterg »

Hi Dave,
this is really good! Just a minor technical issue: the screen shot look kind of blurry, i don't know why. When the mouse goes over them and they are enlarged I would expect to be better, yet they are still blurry but bigger.
Costas
Doctordavet

Post by Doctordavet »

Thanks, Costas. I'll make sure I get those redone. I appreciate your kindness.

Any other critical feedback?
Dave
Free Modules at
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

The only critical feedback I have is - Good job! I am always looking for ways to study better, and playing with different layouts. I never thought of some of the things you did in this layout! So I went ahead and did a Hebrew Exegesis. There are still some tools I'd love to have, but these layouts are really helping me. Thanks Dave, you did real good!

Darrel
kimgbhg

Post by kimgbhg »

Dave,

This is wonderful! What a gifted idea! So helpful.

(Update) After having played with this a bit more, I've decided this is the coolest feature ever! I set up a Hebrew with the HiSB, K&D, Lange and Net Notes Complete with my other appropriate windows.

The only thing I wish I could figure out (and I'm sure it's the module, not theWord) is how to get my grammars in the book view (separate window) to sync. Any ideas, anyone?
Doctordavet

Post by Doctordavet »

kimgbhg,

if by "grammar" you mean "dictionaries," let me tell you what I've found. If I understand dictionaries correctly (big IF, by the way!), there are three types: 1) non-lemma word dictionaries; typically those keyed to English words, but really could be to any language; 2) those keyed to Strong's numbers; and 3) lemma dictionaries.

Here's how the different types of dictionaries work:

1) "non-lemma" dictionaries only work when "almost" the exact word is in the dictionary. Using "fuzzy" logic will allow "Websters" to find singular when a plural is mouseovered, etc.; but basically, the exact word must be found. Free dictionaries of this type are, but not limited to: Webster & Trench's synonyms of the New Testament.

2) "Strong's number" dictionaries only work when the Strong's number is clicked on (or mouseovered). Mickelson & Thayer are examples of this kind of dictionary

3) "lemma" dictionaries are the most powerful for word studies and exegetical work. That's because, when the Bible module has lemma information included, every form of a greek work is connected to it's root word (the "lemma"), and the dictionary will look up the root word, and not the exact word. Both Liddell-Scott modules work in this fashion. They won't work on a Strong's click, but they will work on the Greek word itself - as long as the Bible module includes the "lemma" information. Not all Bible module include the lemma info, by the way. Which is one of the reasons why I've recommended the usage of the TRi Bible module.

Here's how I've implemented these dictionary usages in my Greek Exegesis Layout:

1) All of the dictionaries I've included in my example are "mouseoverable" except for the "Concordance to the Greek Scriptures." All of the other recommended dictionaries will work in either one, or both, of the Bible windows. (NOTE: The exact settings I've recommended are critical to seeing all of these dictionaries in at least one of the Bible views.)

2) In the main exegetical Bible window, the text of the TRi shows Greek words (with lemmas!), English transliteration, and morphology. Strong's numbers are active, but hidden (not shown). Each of these will show popups. The Greek words will show the lemma dictionaries & Strong's dictionaries (in this case, BTSK+ and both Liddell-Scott modules; this works with both Lemmas and Strong's because Strong's numbers are "on" but not shown), the Transliterations will show English dictionaries (like ATSBD, ISBE, Latin & Webster); and Morphology info (from RMAC).

The inline commentaries count as being "Bibles" when "inline commentaries" are in use. But remember: The Greek words in the commentaries have no embedded lemma information. So sometimes the Greek lexicons will mouseover, and sometimes they won't. But the English dictionaries will always work when "inline." (Well, almost always. :))

3) The secondary Bible shows the Strong's numbers and Mickelson, not the BTSK+. (At this point, I think I'm going to reverse the BTSK+ & Mickeson, and show them in the opposite windows. But remember: you folks are working the bugs out of my blog post; my blog post was just a beta! You folks are the beta testers!)

So, all of the suggested dictionaries in my suggested layout work with mouseovers, except the Concordance to the Greek Scriptures (GRC). If you'll open that module in the dictionary window, it will "sync" with the dictionary clicks from both windows. (In the dictionary view, the "link dictionaries" and "link even when inactive" MUST be checked. I am going to add that to my blog post. The dictionary - and separate commentary - view will not "sync" if it is not set to do so "...even if inactive." Oops. That should have been in the original post!)

Concluding Remarks

That dictionary window is quite helpful. You can load any dictionary into it, and it becomes "clickable" based on the type (lemma, non-lemma, Strong's number). If you load a "lemma" dictionary in there, then clicking on a Greek word in the Bible window will move the dictionary to that lemma. If it's an English dictionary, then clicking on an English word will take you to the entry. If a Strong's dictionary, etc.

Now, I'm still learning this software as fast as I can. I hope this entry was helpful - and accurate.

Please, if I've made any "misspeaks" in this entry, correct me! I need to understand this stuff, too.
Dave
Free Modules at
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

I have a need/desire to have both Greek and Hebrew exegesis available at the same time, where each is referencing their respective inline commentaries (patterned off Dr. Dave's excellent Greek Exegesis). So I have two layouts, one for Greek and one for Hebrew and they both appear to play nicely. And I have one installation of TW in a non-compact installation. Now my question - can I have two instances of TW open, one on one monitor and the other on a second monitor, and do whatever I need to do in each layout without adverse interactions taking place? Or is there a better way to accomplish what I want? I realize that after Costas implements Bible groups I may have a better way then, but for now does anyone have other suggestions? Switching between layouts is not really workable since there is a significant performance hit on my system.

Darrel
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

If you run theWord from the same directory, you may have conflicts as you shutdown: the last instance you shutdown will overwrite the config.ini. That's all
Costas
Rich

Post by Rich »

I have a need/desire to have both Greek and Hebrew exegesis available at the same time, where each is referencing their respective inline commentaries (patterned off Dr. Dave's excellent Greek Exegesis). So I have two layouts, one for Greek and one for Hebrew and they both appear to play nicely. And I have one installation of TW in a non-compact installation. Now my question - can I have two instances of TW open, one on one monitor and the other on a second monitor, and do whatever I need to do in each layout without adverse interactions taking place? Or is there a better way to accomplish what I want? I realize that after Costas implements Bible groups I may have a better way then, but for now does anyone have other suggestions? Switching between layouts is not really workable since there is a significant performance hit on my system.

Darrel
I have run two instances of the TW at the same time. I have a normal install on the C drive and a compact install on another drive and there doesn't seem to be any problems.
I have a need/desire to have both Greek and Hebrew exegesis available at the same time, where each is referencing their respective inline commentaries
What I do is open another Bible view, make it a floating window and put it on the second monitor and set up the inline commentaries that I want in that view.

Rich