theWord 4 for MAC

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
csterg
Site Admin

theWord 4 for MAC

Post by csterg »

Hi Everyone,
theWord 4 for MAC package is now ready (version 4.0.0.1342).
Please, give it a try, you can download it here:
http://www.theword.net/files/mac/4.0.0.1342/theWord.dmg

If you are running OSX Mountain Lion (e.g. OSX 10.8 and above) you will first need to install XQuartz, which you can download here:
http://www.theword.net/files/mac/4.0.0. ... -2.7.4.dmg

This new MAC package should upgrade previous theWord installations and keep existing settings. The previous theWord MAC module installer has been removed: the new way to install modules in MAC is by using the integrated module installer of theWord (menu File-Install Modules).

Please, give some feedback. New pages will be created at the site with instructions and screenshots,
Costas

Update for Yosemite
The above installer will not work on Yosemite. A user has contributed a custom-build package that can be downloaded here. This has not been tested, and it's not an official build; yet it has been verified to work on yosemite.
l_d_allan

Re: theWord 4 for MAC

Post by l_d_allan »

I took a quick look at the XQuartz website. My impression was that it might be close to the equivalent to Wine for Linux.

If so, is there an equivalent to XQuartz (or Wine) for Android? For Apple iOS?
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

XQuartz is the X11 system that Apple removed from Mac OS 10.8.... it's not Wine
Costas
l_d_allan

Post by l_d_allan »

X11 is related to displaying widgets? It's been years since I used Unix or Linux.

Are you aware if there is an equivalent to "Wine" for Android or iOS? I am pretty much completely ignorant about ARM-based devices like phones and tablets.

The reason I ask ... the Delphi compiled native TheWord.exe is very high performance compared to almost all alternative Bible software I am familiar with. Most others can be very sluggish / slooooooow in comparison to TheWord.exe. That doesn't matter too much on recent desktops, but on a Wine-like emulator on an ARM device, they would probably be too slow for usability.

On the other hand, TheWord might run reasonably ok ... if there was a Wine-like emulator.

Or not?
l_d_allan

Post by l_d_allan »

[OT?]

Is anyone aware if there is a Wine-like emulator for the Windows Surface RT (ARM-based) to run x86 native code like TW?
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Wine is a really big project... Actually it means 'Wine is not an emulator'! Actually is a complete rewrite of 'Windows' on top of linux.
I don't see how it would be possible to write Wine for iOS or Android since the windowing system there is so different that it would make no sense... and in general the apps for these devices are completely different; theWord, as is, would not be a good app for those devices i think
Costas
l_d_allan

Post by l_d_allan »

csterg wrote:Wine is a really big project... Actually it means 'Wine is not an emulator'! Actually is a complete rewrite of 'Windows' on top of linux.
Didn't realize that ... also sorry to have gotten this [OT] ... I'll start another thread for a related question.
I don't see how it would be possible to write Wine for iOS or Android since the windowing system there is so different that it would make no sense...
Makes me wonder about Microsoft's Surface RT (which also uses ARM-based cpu's). I would think Microsoft would be motivated to accomplish this ... eventually? TW should work on the recently released x86 based Surface Pro, but some of the TW widgets could be tiny. fwiw. Anyone tried TW on the Pro?
in general the apps for these devices are completely different; theWord, as is, would not be a good app for those devices i think
Now that I think about it, agree. The older PDA's (personal digital assistant) like Palm and Pocket-PC had a stylus.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Well, it seems to me that the trend in our days is this: take an App, remove 95% of the things it does, make the buttons large enough and you have a mobile app :)
l_d_allan

Post by l_d_allan »

Almost sounds like going from TW ---> BB (pda versions) ?
Attachments
130220_BbPpc.jpg
130220_BbPpc.jpg (72.05 KiB) Viewed 94511 times
130220_BbPalm.jpg
130220_BbPalm.jpg (98.47 KiB) Viewed 94511 times
AnkeJStoye

Re: theWord 4 for MAC - icon invisible

Post by AnkeJStoye »

I just downloaded the update for my mac (10.5.8). It looks fine - only, my icon in the dock is invisible.
I've restarted the Mac but it's still invisible.
What do I need to do to make it visible, please?
Thank you,
Anke

csterg wrote:Hi Everyone,
theWord 4 for MAC package is now ready (version 4.0.0.1342).
Please, give it a try, you can download it here:
http://www.theword.net/files/mac/4.0.0.1342/theWord.dmg

If you are running OSX Mountain Lion (e.g. OSX 10.8 and above) you will first need to install XQuartz, which you can download here:
http://www.theword.net/files/mac/4.0.0. ... -2.7.4.dmg

This new MAC package should upgrade previous theWord installations and keep existing settings. The previous theWord MAC module installer has been removed: the new way to install modules in MAC is by using the integrated module installer of theWord (menu <b>File</b>-><b>Install Modules</b>).

Please, give some feedback. New pages will be created at the site with instructions and screenshots,
Costas
Attachments
invisible Icon-Mac.jpg
invisible Icon-Mac.jpg (973.64 KiB) Viewed 94476 times
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hm, I speculate that MacOS cannot display full color icons.
Can someone more knowledgable verify that this is the case?
Costas
AnkeJStoye

Post by AnkeJStoye »

Good afternoon!

I would like to know if I can make a change in the settings somewhere so that my preferred layout is what I see when I open theWord. Before I upgraded to the new version, I opened in my layout, now it give me a blank page and I have to confirm every time that I want to accept the changes. However, they are only good until I switch my Mac off. Then it's gone and I have to go to View.

The icon is still invisible.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you & God bless you,
Anke
Attachments
This is a Layout I did not create or save. The personalized Layout only shows up after clicking on View - not automatically when launching TheWORD
This is a Layout I did not create or save. The personalized Layout only shows up after clicking on View - not automatically when launching TheWORD
Layout I did not create.jpg (563.04 KiB) Viewed 94315 times
Confirmation window No. 2<br />Also pops up every time I launch theWord.
Confirmation window No. 2
Also pops up every time I launch theWord.
Confirmation window2.jpg (509.79 KiB) Viewed 94315 times
Confirmation window1 - pops up every time I launch theWord.
Confirmation window1 - pops up every time I launch theWord.
Confirmation window1.jpg (543.23 KiB) Viewed 94315 times
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Anke,
as I understand, it seems that theWord cannot really write the options to the config file when it exits, so it starts all over as if it is the first time, every time.
Is that the case? Do you notice that no option is saved?
Costas
AnkeJStoye

Post by AnkeJStoye »

Hello Costas,
I believe that is the case - not saving upon exiting.
Not sure what you mean with "no option is saved". I do have some layouts saved. It's just that none of them opens when I launch theWord.
Is there anything I can do to "save" it?

((On my PC it always opens where I was last.))

Thank you,
Anke
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Well,
i can tell you how to change file permissions on the underlying config.ini file to make it writeable but i wonder why this happened in the first place.
Do you know how to open a terminal and issue a couple of commands there?
Costas