Bible header search

Share your favorite tips, workarounds and shortcuts for theWord
PeterZ

Bible header search

Post by PeterZ »

Is there a way to do a header search in Bibles? For example I tried “Invitation” as a topic in the NIV and the search did not return anything, though I know this construct exists in the text. I would need it quite often. As always thank you all for your insight and assistance. Peter
JG

Re: Bible header search

Post by JG »

There is not a way to search the headings.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
Leoram

Post by Leoram »

PeterZ wrote:Is there a way to do a header search in Bibles? For example I tried “Invitation” as a topic in the NIV... Peter
Have you tried theWord import tool http://www.theword.net/bin/get.php/setu ... porter.exe and add a header file to any of your user editable Bibles (if any). If you opt for this option, then open the import tool and choose the Utils tab and then "apply chapter headings to .ont file". This is of course a workaround, but it works well for me and this is the way I do it. You can even build a special Bible module comprised of multiple headings chosen from different sources exclusively for this purpose.
Leoram
PeterZ

Post by PeterZ »

Thanks a lot for that hint Leoram! Would you have me a link to a source for multiple headings for this purpose? English and German if posible.
Leoram

Post by Leoram »

This is what I have done:

I noticed that the import tool supports not only .hdgs.twn (normal tw heading files), but also .idx3 files. The former can be located in theWord main directory or in some other. The latter can be found in a sub-directory named Cache.

You can see what you have installed in Bible view options | Paragraphs and headings | then sub-section titled Passage headings | Always use "Alternate headings". --Here on that drop down list you can see what headings files you have available.

As to German Bibles, if you get German Neue evangelistische Übersetzung (NeÜ), http://www.theword.net/bin/get.php/gerneue.ontx.exe or Textbibel des Alten und Neuen Testaments (Textbibel) http://www.theword.net/bin/get.php/gertextbibel.ont.exe from theWord download section, then you will have the headings within those modules. They will be installed as .idx3 files automatically once they get indexed.

Here is an example of what I have done and how the headings can be seen in my personal arrangement searching for the word "Samaritan" (I have built a dummy ont Bible file with only one word on each verse: "Hdgs:"; then I added a set of headings to that Bible). The -|- separation is added by me using a text editor. It is intended only to separate each heading:

Jesus and the Woman of Samaria -|- Jesus and the Samaritan Woman -|- Jesus Meets a Samaritan Woman -|- Christ talks with a woman of Samaria, and reveals himself unto her.

Hope this helps.
Leoram
PeterZ

Post by PeterZ »

Thank you very much. That helps me!