Cross Reference Limit

Discuss the beta released of theWord. Submit bugs and ideas concerning the beta releases.
John45

Cross Reference Limit

Post by John45 »

I'm running v4.0.0.1384
I really like the cross references in tW and would either like to add mine to it or create a new set. I have added less than 50 and am not allowed to add any more even though the note says I can add up to 255. I looked to see if there was a way for me to create an additional set, but didn't find one. Is there either a way to adjust the limit to allow for the cross references I wish to add or a way to create my own set?

Thanks

John
John
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Cross Reference Limit

Post by csterg »

Hi John,
what limit are you referring to? Is this a per/verse limit?
Costas
John45

Post by John45 »

When I right click on a verse and click on "Add a cross reference," a dialog box appears in which I add the cross reference. In the left side of the box is a note stating, "You may add a cross reference to a continuous set (max 255) of verses. Use the dash "-" to define a range. Evidently the program believes I have reached the 255 limit or max, but since I only discovered this a couple of days ago, I don't think I have.

John
John
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

John45 wrote:When I right click on a verse and click on "Add a cross reference," a dialog box appears in which I add the cross reference. In the left side of the box is a note stating, "You may add a cross reference to a continuous set (max 255) of verses. Use the dash "-" to define a range. Evidently the program believes I have reached the 255 limit or max, but since I only discovered this a couple of days ago, I don't think I have.

John
Isn't this note saying 255 is the limit of the number of verses referenced by a single xref?
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
John45

Post by John45 »

It could be. From your post, I got to thinking and believe there are three possibilities, the number of user added cross references to the set, the number of added cross references to a particular verse, or the number of verses which have the same cross reference. However, I read it as the number of cross references that may be added to the set. Furthermore, because I came to a place where I could no longer enter cross references, I think it applies to the set rather than to the verse or to the cross reference. Let's see what Costas has to say about it.

I think the best solution would be to allow the user to build their own cross reference set. That way the user would not be impacting either the default set or the version specific sets.

John
John
John45

Post by John45 »

Costas,

One other thought about this. Is it possible to add a way to delete user added cross references when we make a mistake? I think this would be a helpful addition for the user.

John
John
John45

Post by John45 »

Costas,

I think I discovered why I was having a problem. The cross reference I wanted to add was Luk 14:26-27,33 and was unable to add it. When I removed the ",33" I was able to add it and then add Luk 14:33 as a separate cross reference.

However, I still would like you to consider making it possible for the user to create their own set of cross references so it doesn't impact either the default set or the version specific sets and also give the user the capability of deleting cross references when they discover they've made a mistake such as adding the cross reference to the wrong verse, etc. If there is already a way for me to correct my cross reference errors, please tell me how to do it.

Thanks

John
John
John45

Post by John45 »

Costas,

I discovered how to delete an erroneous cross reference.

John
John
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

Click the Organize button at the Add Cross-Reference dialog and you can create you own custom set.
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
John45

Post by John45 »

Thanks Rubio,

I looked in there but somehow didn't see the New button. Perhaps I can blame it on old eyes.

John
John
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hi John,
sorry for my late answer. Actually all you ask is already there.
First, the 'max 255' refers to the range of a single xref: i think it's more than enough!
There is no limit to the number of xrefs, you can add as many as you want.
You can create your own unique sets, again as many as you want.
You can edit, navigate, delete, add or do whatever you want with your sets, and with the xrefs within each set.

If you are not sure for any of the above, ask here, i will get back,
Costas
John45

Post by John45 »

Costas,

Thanks for the reply. With Rubio's help and a little experimenting I got the situation handled. I want to remark once again about what a unique program theWord is. Although there are a few things I would like to be different (all minor issues), this program is more user friendly than any of the others I have and have used. It is the most customizable and it is the one that allows me to do all the things I want do do with it. I acknowledge that I do not use every aspect of the program. I am not one who is reliant on the works of others and so desiring to see all the things that others have to say on a particular subject nor am I one who is constantly going to the lexicons to see what the lexicon compilers think a particular Hebrew or Greek word means. So I am not very knowledgeable in those areas. Nevertheless, for my purposes, I have not found a more usable program.

John
John
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

John45 wrote:Costas,

Thanks for the reply. With Rubio's help and a little experimenting I got the situation handled. I want to remark once again about what a unique program theWord is. Although there are a few things I would like to be different (all minor issues), this program is more user friendly than any of the others I have and have used. It is the most customizable and it is the one that allows me to do all the things I want do do with it. I acknowledge that I do not use every aspect of the program. I am not one who is reliant on the works of others and so desiring to see all the things that others have to say on a particular subject nor am I one who is constantly going to the lexicons to see what the lexicon compilers think a particular Hebrew or Greek word means. So I am not very knowledgeable in those areas. Nevertheless, for my purposes, I have not found a more usable program.

John
Thanks John