TheWord on Zorin ver 7 / Dual boot with Windows 8

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
DarrelW

TheWord on Zorin ver 7 / Dual boot with Windows 8

Post by DarrelW »

Help! I've been on windows 7 and 8 and TW for a LONG time, but have just started looking at Linux and specifically Zorin 7.1. I am at a loss! Do I have to reinstall TW to have Linux recognize it? How do I get TW to come up and see all of my already installed modules in ProgramData under Win8? Specifically what commands would I use to run TW under Linux. Zorin has Wine already installed, and has something called "run under wine" (I think!).

I've read the other Linux posts, but I guess something just isn't registering yet. I am looking at migrating away from Windows and this is my "litmus" test to see if it is feasible.

Thanks for any and all help!

Darrel
csterg
Site Admin

Re: TheWord on Zorin ver 7 / Dual boot with Windows 8

Post by csterg »

Hi Darrel,
don't worry, things are quite simple there once you figure out a couple of things :)

First, you need to reinstall TW under linux, yes. This is easy: you just use the main installer under wine. Once you do that you just copy all your module under the new 'ProgramData' folder that wine did for you
Come back when you get there
Costas
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Those "Ah Ha" moments are always so sweet! Costas and Steve, both of you have helped me tremendously.i now have TW running as a Linux application with all my modules working. i installed TW as a compact install under Zorin, copied all my modules into the corresponding directory and it works. i would like to see if i can get TW to "see" my previously installed version under Windows so i do not have duplicate files, though. It is quite a learning curve for me coming up on Linux, but i look forward to it! i bless both of you!

Darrel
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Yes, you can do that also :)
The question is this: does your linux installation sees your Windows 8 drive/partition? If yes, then you can
Costas
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Yes it does see the windows 8 partition. Costas, i appreciate how you take time for things such as this!

Darrel
JG

Post by JG »

Hi Darrel,

Did you read this post. It sound like a good simple idea if this is your type of setup.

viewtopic.php?p=28059#p28059
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet