Logo for TheWord 5 (users initiatives)

From here you can check the latest version of the software and related apps (e.g. Importer utillity). New add-on modules will be announced here also (Bibles, commentaries, dictionaries, etc)
nikolay_l

Logo for TheWord 5 (users initiatives)

Post by nikolay_l »

csterg
Site Admin

Re: Logo for TheWord 5 (users initiatives)

Post by csterg »

This looks nice indeed :)
I don't think i will be changing the logo to be honest. The splash screen maybe.
Is this a cell image?
nikolay_l

Post by nikolay_l »

maybe this is screenshot from animation movie
http://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1139748
or maybe this popular-science fllm
http://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4265781
nikolay_l

Post by nikolay_l »

old logo is not cool :(
ancient tw3 logo is better
JG

Post by JG »

Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
Leoram

Post by Leoram »

I don't want to sound unmatched as part of this team but I couldn't avoid pairing this with the evolution theory, something with which, of course, theWord should not have any resemblance at all or even make people paint something like this in their mind whenever they look at tW's splash screen. Furthermore, God didn't need to create things starting from cells as a progressive act. He only needs to say "the Word" and things come to be "in the blink of an eye" --fully and mature.

Please don't think my purpose is to initiate a debate, I just have the opinion that it would be better to keep the splash screen for theWord simple and not so expressive.

Oh! did I mention that I would like to see version 5 going public soon? --If that is what nikolay_l is really trying to push a little with his idea, then I come after him :D
Leoram
petrosd

Post by petrosd »

I like the current logo. It works. :-)
ErikJon

Other issues about the splash screen

Post by ErikJon »

I would prefer to have the release of version 5 with all the scheduled improvements--but with any old logo--than to have the current version 4 with a newer logo. Function over form. Ha ha ha.

By the way, with all due respect, I have some suggestions regarding the text on your current splash screen.

Currently the following phrases appear:

"TheWord is free"

"You should not pay to obtain or use"

As a native English speaker and an ESL teacher, myself, I feel that the second phrase sounds a bit awkward--particularly without an object at the end (e.g. "it")--but even if it had one, it would be peculiar. If you will forgive me for saying so, it sounds like it were written by a non-native English speaker (albeit perhaps a genius in the field of computer-programming.)

The custom in English is to use the passive voice and short phrases (rather than in complete sentences) for this kind of thing, as we do even on signs. For example, the Bibles printed and distributed by The Gideons have had the phrase "Not to be sold" or "Never to be sold" on the cover for about 100 years, (but not "You should not pay to obtain this book.")

And, by the way, I think I saw another issue on one of your previous splash screens, which I will mention, if you will forgive me for meddling.

The word "software" is not a countable object, that could be expressed correctly as "a software*" or "softwares*" but as simply "software". The "countable" alternative would be "a program..." or "programs," but, while the former is usually considered collective, the latter usually refers to a specific specimen.

If speaking of only one program in particular, we would not usually say, "Download the software," but "Download the program." If it were a collection (such as the "OpenOffice Suite") we might make statements like "download the software before attempting to use the included spreadsheet program..." (Although some people look at that whole package as one big program--rather than a collection--and therefore might call it such. Perhaps you also see TheWord as a collection? In any case, I would never use the indefinite article "a" with "software"). In your "help file" I find statements like "TheWord is a free, high quality Bible software" instead of "TheWord is a free, high-quality Bible-study program."

My other observation--if you will forgive me--is that the issue that seems to bother you regarding the EULA is that a few people out there are apparently "selling" your program, or else "buying" it, when it was designed to be distributed free of charge. While this may be the case, I doubt that anyone anywhere is paying to "use" or "rent" the program without actually "buying" it outright. Consequently, the expression, "You should not pay to obtain or use" seems to be a bit of unnecessary exaggeration.

In conclusion, although this is all none of my business, I would offer the following alternatives to your next splash screen, in order to sound much more idiomatic, for an English-speaking environment. I would use all three expressions on the screen (and without the quotation marks, of course):

1. "Bible-study software created for free distribution"
(or even better: "A Bible-study program created for free distribution")

2. "Not to be sold"

3. "To report any violations, or to obtain a free copy, visit: http://www.theword.net"
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
nikolay_l

Post by nikolay_l »

NorrinRadd

Post by NorrinRadd »

I don't care one way or the other about eye candy, as long as it loads briskly. It already takes plenty of time "initializing."
nikolay_l

Post by nikolay_l »

my TW library have is very long load time (~40-60 sek)
ErikJon

How to make TheWord run FASTER

Post by ErikJon »

Nikolay,

For How to make TheWord run FASTER see this post:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5690
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
nikolay_l

Re: How to make TheWord run FASTER

Post by nikolay_l »

ErikJon wrote:Nikolay,

For How to make TheWord run FASTER see this post:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5690
my portable library contained 3473 modules, and her groving up
Attachments
3743.rar
(85.28 KiB) Downloaded 595 times
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Wow! I thought that I had too many, myself, at 1,025 modules. You have beat me badly! Ha ha ha.
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

I have about 2600+ modules, and as long as I make sure to clean up any duplicates my system starts really quite fast. And I run on Linux Mint 17.1. So naturally I would like things running faster, but Costas my system runs very well now! I'm a happy camper. :)

Darrel