Popup Verse Window Does not work for Acts in Portuguese

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
jkokenzie777

Popup Verse Window Does not work for Acts in Portuguese

Post by jkokenzie777 »

For all the abbreviations for the books of the Bible in Portuguese I can get the popup window except for Acts. "At" is the abbreviation but it does not work. "Mt" for Matthew, "Mc" for Mark, "Rm" for Romans all work. Can this be easily corrected?

I write Bible studies in Portuguese and when I review my work I like to make sure all the verse references are correct. The verse popup window (via ctrl-c) is great for this.

Thank you!
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Popup Verse Window Does not work for Acts in Portuguese

Post by csterg »

Open the english.lng file, go to line 3313 (more or less) and delete the line

Code: Select all

-at|0
Costas
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

This is a real problem for Portuguese users, because theWord's default installation comes with English language file installed, so references to the book of Acts don't work "out of the box". And the solution is a little technical to average users. What do you think could be done, Costas? I see some options:

1. Remove this exception altogether from english.lng. :twisted:
2. Default vref.languages to "current" in config.ini, instead of "english,current".
3. Create theWord installers for each language containing only the appropriate language file, therefore avoiding out-of-the-box conflicts.
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
JG

Post by JG »

I see three situations that are causing unnecessary problems.

I agree with the below statement. It is ok for languages that have dissimilar alphabets, but for those that do it is a disaster in the making. (Well perhaps not that bad)
Having a default of just the current language would be good.
Default vref.languages to "current" in config.ini, instead of "english,current".
For the english.lng (I don't know about other languages) I would NEVER want to parse an abbreviation that was lower case and hyperlink it as a verse ref. This would remove the need to have most of the "-as" type codes in the english.lng file

Another issue currently with the beta build since I don't know when,(1225) was this ability to detect verse refs such as found in pdf files that are on two lines. We need a visible option to control this please. I would like it to default off.
- [fix]: Clipboard monitor will now recognize references broken in 2 lines (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3343)
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
Leoram

Post by Leoram »

I have edited the pattern in the english.ing file so that it detects verse references in two languages English and Spanish without the need to switch between both. It works fine for me. Thanks Costas for this marvelous masterpiece of a Bible program!
Leoram
JG

Post by JG »

What did you set it to?
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

JG wrote:For the english.lng (I don't know about other languages) I would NEVER want to parse an abbreviation that was lower case and hyperlink it as a verse ref. This would remove the need to have most of the "-as" type codes in the english.lng file
The same applies to Portuguese as well.
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Let me suggest this:
how about if theWord will not exclude the books in the exceptions lists if the first letter is capital (there can be a 3rd arg there for this)?
So the

-as|0
entry would not exclude "As 1:1" ?
Leoram

Post by Leoram »

JG wrote:What did you set it to?
Jon:
I use resources in both languages at the same time. For me it's easier than to have to switch layouts. It took me a long time to edit the pattern around 8 years ago so that it worked as expected for me. Since then I have made some adjustments to it to obtain a very acceptable level of quality. I don't know about other pair of languages but I have done this with English and Spanish.
Leoram
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

csterg wrote:Let me suggest this:
how about if theWord will not exclude the books in the exceptions lists if the first letter is capital (there can be a 3rd arg there for this)?
So the

-as|0
entry would not exclude "As 1:1" ?
You mean edit the official english.lng adding the case-sensitive flag to conflicting exceptions? More specifically, change

-at|0
to

-at|0|1
It didn't work here. "At 1:1" still isn't recognized.
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

@Rubio: yes, this is what i mean.
This section (exceptions) does not currently recognize a 3rd arg, this is my suggestion.
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

csterg wrote:@Rubio: yes, this is what i mean.
This section (exceptions) does not currently recognize a 3rd arg, this is my suggestion.
Yes, I suppose that would work.
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

noted
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

Any news on this? It would be nice to have things working out-of-the-box from 5.0 on.
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

sorry no. I put it in my todo list, yet if you can post back in about 10 days it will be helpful