Additional Bible Translations in Popup Trick

Share your favorite tips, workarounds and shortcuts for theWord
keyuhui

Additional Bible Translations in Popup Trick

Post by keyuhui »

I realize this feature is only availible in the more recent beta versions, but I absolutely love the additional Bible translations in popups feature (it can be setup up under File > Preferences > Adavanced). It's great for quickly checking a large number of versions for different ways of rendering the same verse, and it's faster and more convenient that the Compare function.

However, the advantage of the Compare function is that it allows you to see the verse that is currently selected in the Bible view window, but the multiple translation popups only allows you to view "hyperlinks" like Cross References and Commentaries (like TSK), which generally reference other verses of scripture, not the verse that is selected. But in my work, I need to see the various translations of the selected verse, not cross references to that verse. So I previously always used the Compare tab.

However, I recently built a very simple xref module that contains only one "cross reference", namely the selected verse itself.
self-referring cross reference module
self-referring cross reference module
xref1.jpg (610.09 KiB) Viewed 6839 times
In that way I can use the additional Bible translation in popup feature to show the other versions that I have selected simply by doing a mouseover with SHIFT (or SHIFT and CTRL) pressed.
mouse over the cross reference with the SHIFT (or CTRL + SHIFT depending on how you set it up) pressed
mouse over the cross reference with the SHIFT (or CTRL + SHIFT depending on how you set it up) pressed
xref2.jpg (504.25 KiB) Viewed 6839 times
Of course, another option to have the popups show the current selected verse is to create an empy personal commentary (File > New User Module > Commentary). The empy comentary will also show a hyperlink to the currently selected verse which can be used for the multi-version popup feature. Personally, however, I like the xref module, because it frees up my commentaries for other uses.

And using this xref module doesn't conflict with the other xref modules...I can select as many as I like, but I usually make sure that it is the first one in the xref module list, so that I can find it more quckly.

I have attached this simple xref module to this post here, and hope that it will be a blessing to others as well. I'm also working on making a modified version of TSKe that will have a self-referencing link at the top of the commentary, as well as the text of the selected verse. I will try to make that availible when it is finished.

Blessings
keyuhui

Re: Additional Bible Translations in Popup Trick

Post by keyuhui »

sorry, I couldn't upload the file in the previous post. This should work (see attached file)
Attachments
translation popups.xrefs.zip
(620.59 KiB) Downloaded 664 times
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

That is cool! I really like what you did with the xref, and I will use it a LOT! Thanks!

Darrel
JG

Post by JG »

If you have my ot-nt lines "Bible" module, you can use the xrefs as an overlay file from that. You will see it shows in the list.
http://www.theword.net/files/utils/ot-nt-lines.zip

As a tip:
You can also just synchronize the current verse with the Bible tree and hover it to get a popup, the multi popup in beta.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Jon,
I am curious - how and/or where do you select to syncronize the current verse with the Bible tree?

Darrel
JG

Post by JG »

It is just a one-shot thing.
2015-03-07 09 22 18.png
2015-03-07 09 22 18.png (3.67 KiB) Viewed 6791 times
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
JG

Post by JG »

Or, another tip. Make a floating Bible view with the ot-nt lines file selected and set it to display the xrefs it contains. Hide the icons at the left and set it to verse per line mode. Sync to other Bible views. Now it is always at hand in whatever place you would like it.
2015-03-07 10 12 51.png
2015-03-07 10 12 51.png (67.94 KiB) Viewed 6790 times
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
keyuhui

Post by keyuhui »

Looks like I tried to reinvent the wheel... :(

Thanks for all the other cool ideas, JG. I personally still like having the hot link as an inline popup (as opposed to a Bible Tree popup or a floating window popup), but I like how your ot-nt lines file has a "*" as the hotlink, instead of the full verse reference, which is really unnecessary anyway with a self-referencing hotlink. But I'm having trouble getting it to work for my with other Bible modules.

I noticed the option under cross-references options to show "As links with a 'star' ('*'), inline the verse (if supported by module)", but I still get the full reference showing up.

Any tips on what I'm missing?

Thanks
JG

Post by JG »

Chris, this merge option will only work when it is actually an xref in the Bible, not an overlay.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
JG

Post by JG »

keyuhui wrote:
I'm also working on making a modified version of TSKe that will have a self-referencing link at the top of the commentary, as well as the text of the selected verse. I will try to make that availible when it is finished.

Blessings
If you do make this module and you base it on the official released one, can you make sure to remove the id and have a different abbreviation so that it does not conflict with the official release.
thanks
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Thanks Jon. I think I still like keyuhui's approach better. :?

Darrel
keyuhui

Post by keyuhui »

Chris, this merge option will only work when it is actually an xref in the Bible, not an overlay.

Hehehe...I just figured that out. But I was able to tweak one of my most often used versions (a Chinese/English interlinear), by adding the code from your on nt lines module (I LOVE EXCEL!)

So I can get the "*" link to show up for that version now...thanks for making that code availible!
keyuhui

Post by keyuhui »

If you do make this module and you base it on the official released one, can you make sure to remove the id and have a different abbreviation so that it does not conflict with the official release.
thanks
Thanks for bringing that to my attention. It wouldn't have occured to me otherwise. I will be sure to do as you have asked.
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

keyuhui wrote:I'm also working on making a modified version of TSKe that will have a self-referencing link at the top of the commentary, as well as the text of the selected verse. I will try to make that availible when it is finished.
I would be very interested in this. I have wished for this for a long time. Having link and text at the top would make TSKe much easier to use. I have made the TSKe editable so I can paste the verse if I plan to park there very long.

If you do this, it would be nice if the TSKe bolded text was bolded in the full text at the top.

But whatever you do, I am very interested. I usually keep a Bible view dedicated to showing the KJV just so I can relate to the TSKe bolded words. This would save me some real estate.

I have never tried to make a module, but if there is anything a low-skilled helper could do, I'd volunteer to help.
Attachments
tske with heading.gif
tske with heading.gif (23.82 KiB) Viewed 6751 times
keyuhui

Post by keyuhui »

I would be very interested in this. I have wished for this for a long time. Having link and text at the top would make TSKe much easier to use. I have made the TSKe editable so I can paste the verse if I plan to park there very long.

If you do this, it would be nice if the TSKe bolded text was bolded in the full text at the top.

But whatever you do, I am very interested. I usually keep a Bible view dedicated to showing the KJV just so I can relate to the TSKe bolded words. This would save me some real estate.
The module is done. It can be downloaded at:

http://www.wordmodules.com/the-word-mod ... eferences/

I made the KJV text 2 points smaller that the rest of the content, since I didn't want it to take up too much space, and I put the text in italics. (if you need it without italics, and/or the same size as everything else, let me know) It didn't occur to me to bold the referenced text as you suggested. That would be a nice addition, but it would be very time consuming. Ideally there would need to be a way to automatic the find/replace process...but I don't know how to do that.

Anyway, I hope the module is useful to you.

Blessings!