McAfee VirusScan Alert! - Word 4

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
crypkema

McAfee VirusScan Alert! - Word 4

Post by crypkema »

I'm getting a virus alert whenever I try to start Word 4. I really think this is a false positive from McAfee. Unfortunately, I can't start the program anymore on my work laptop.

I'm using the USB version copied onto a DVD so it couldn't be deleted. The same thing happened when I downloaded the latest version here and when it was extracting, McAfee deleted the exe file.

Here's the info from the About file with the versions.

It's not a big deal to me. I can access Bible software online. But I thought you might want to know what is happening in case it is not just me.

Chris
DarrelW

Re: McAfee VirusScan Alert! - Word 4

Post by DarrelW »

These are false alarms.

Darrel
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Chris,
can you ask the AV program to exclude the theword.exe file?
Costas
crypkema

Post by crypkema »

Nope. Being a company owned computer I'm plugging it into, I don't have permissions to change the AV settings or exclude anything.

The only notification I'm getting, is when the file has already been deleted.

Chris
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Chris,
let me understand this: is the file 'theword.exe' being deleted, or the file you download from the site (e.g. the installer) ?
Costas
crypkema

Post by crypkema »

The file THEWORD.EXE is being deleted. If you look at the first error message, it acts like THE WORD.EXE gets changed to some other filename with numbers and immediately deleted. It doesn't matter if it is the file I already had on a flash drive, or if it appears from being extracted when being installed as a download from your website.

Chris
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hi Chris,
i see this now. In the first screenshots it looks like theWord.exe is a folder! And below that folder there is another .EXE file that is reported as having a virus. I have NO idea what this is and how it got there. theWord does not do anything like that. I am speechless...
Costas