tw5.0 bug in 1450?

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
spaintrek

tw5.0 bug in 1450?

Post by spaintrek »

I can't copy images from Firefox 38 for Linux Mint's clipboard directly into TW5.0.1450--actually, nothing happens. To get something pasted, I first have to open a document in LibreOffice, paste, and then copy again... Then and only then can I paste the image into TW5.0.

I have tried my Windows 8.1/Microsoft Office/Firefox and I have the same situation--images appear in the form of a rectangle with a big "x" in the middle. To copy text or images from the navigator, you first have to paste it into Office, and then TW5.0 accepts the clipboard contents.

Under 4.0 I could paste things directly into TW.

Any ideas?
spaintrek
csterg
Site Admin

Re: tw5.0 bug in 1450?

Post by csterg »

i don't think anything changed there to be honest. Can you try on the same PC to do the same thing with both versions please?
spaintrek

Post by spaintrek »

I downloaded 4.0.1342 and installed it via Wine. Copy and paste works fine.

Opened 5.0.1450 and tried a copy and paste in a commentary of mine and it didn't work. Tried several times from Firefox in Linux.

Spaintrek
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Okay, I don't know if this helps ...

I am running ubuntu studio 15.04 with wine 1.7.38 and TW 1451. The only way I can paste an image is by using "insert picture". I cannot copy an image and then paste the image. I can copy a string of text (for example this email) and paste it into a commentary. I tried copying the logo from TW and pasting it but did not work.

Darrel
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

spaintrek wrote:I downloaded 4.0.1342 and installed it via Wine. Copy and paste works fine.

Opened 5.0.1450 and tried a copy and paste in a commentary of mine and it didn't work. Tried several times from Firefox in Linux.

Spaintrek
The main renderer/viewer has been upgraded from v4 to v5. It is close to impossible to debug such a problem in linux.
Costas
therapon

Post by therapon »

I have the same issue with copying text from Firefox to theWord. It seems to be related to how stuff gets put on and taken off the clipboard. If I highlight some text in Firefox, I can paste it fine into BibleWorks, WINE's version of Notepad, Accuracy as well as any Linux app. I cannot paste it directly into RichView editor or theWord. I have Klipper (KDE's clipboard tool) running; if I go to Klipper and select the text there, then it will paste into theWord. It's a real pain to have to remember the extra steps for theWord. By the way, I can copy/paste fine between theWord and LibreOffice (linux version) in both directions, including the formatting. Apparently linux versions of Firefox and LibreOffice manage the clipboard differently, and theWord and some other native and non-native windows apps manage it differently, too.

therapon

Kubuntu 14.10, Wine 1.7.44, TW 5.0.0.1450, FF 38.0

PS See this post - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6455 :(
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Can you take a look at the clipboard to see what format does Firefox put in the clipboard? I use clcl.exe for window to peek in the clipboard.
therapon

Post by therapon »

I'd be happy to do that, I'm not sure what utility to use in Linux.

I just tried copying again, have updated to WINE 1.7.45, and for the minute everything (text) works as expected! Go figure! Copying from Firefox to TW still doesn't work on WINE 1.7.44.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

therapon wrote:I'd be happy to do that, I'm not sure what utility to use in Linux.

I just tried copying again, have updated to WINE 1.7.45, and for the minute everything (text) works as expected! Go figure! Copying from Firefox to TW still doesn't work on WINE 1.7.44.
how much i dislike this 'wine dependency' :(
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Costas, that's why we need a Linux version! Mahahaahaaha! :)

Darrel
therapon

Post by therapon »

I heartily agree with Darrel. There is nothing comparable (or even close) to TW that is a native linux application. I'm sure there are many serving the Lord in ministry who use linux because of financial reasons. They can't afford a commercial OS plus the required hardware. So... they settle for linux + wine + TW and make the best of it.

I understand the complexity of "porting" TW to linux and the amount of labor involved. But it sure would bless many brothers and sisters.

therapon
JG

Post by JG »

There is BibleAnalyzer by Tim Morton. It has been developed using Python and WxPython, so that with some small coding adjustments works on Windows, Mac, Linux, as a native app.

Tim has done the coding adjustments by the way, so you just download for your platform. No coding required.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
therapon

Post by therapon »

Yeah, I've looked at BA. Like I said, given the features and power of TW, we "settle for linux + wine + TW and make the best of it."
spaintrek

Post by spaintrek »

I agree. TW is a great tool. I just downgraded back to 4.0 on my Linux laptops and the clipboard works again :wink:

Spaintrek