Unable to install updated modules from "Add Titles"

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
patbefaithful2z

Unable to install updated modules from "Add Titles"

Post by patbefaithful2z »

I think it is wonderful that the newest version, has the function under "Add Titles", which informs me that there are updates concerning the modules (free and paid for)in my personal Word program. The problem is that when I press "download and install" after it indicates that their downloaded the hourglass never stops until I just shut off the computer. In other words they never get installed. I tried disabling AVG security and then doing it, but it still did the same thing. Any suggestions?

Pat
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Unable to install updated modules from "Add Titles"

Post by csterg »

Pat, another thought: is it possible that there is a 'firewall' that blocks the connection? What could be the case is that the firewall pops-up a window waiting for your input and you may not be able to see this dialog. Just an idea...
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

patbefaithful2z wrote:I think it is wonderful that the newest version, has the function under "Add Titles", which informs me that there are updates concerning the modules (free and paid for)in my personal Word program. The problem is that when I press "download and install" after it indicates that their downloaded the hourglass never stops until I just shut off the computer. In other words they never get installed. I tried disabling AVG security and then doing it, but it still did the same thing. Any suggestions?

Pat
I am having the same issues with both the 1450 and 1452 releases. I also cannot drag files from windows explorer to Files > Install Modules. With both I get the hourglass and I have to invoke ctrl-alt-del to stop theWord.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

I am having the same issues with both the 1450 and 1452 releases. I also cannot drag files from windows explorer to Files > Install Modules. With both I get the hourglass and I have to invoke ctrl-alt-del to stop theWord.
Do you have some anti-virus installed? Can you disable it for a moment to try without it?
Costas
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

csterg wrote:
Do you have some anti-virus installed? Can you disable it for a moment to try without it?
Costas
I use AVG (free version). I temporarily disabled it but theWord still churns away and I finally have to use ctrl-alt-del to stop theWord.
JG

Post by JG »

Try browsing to the file from the Install Modules dialog, instead of drag and drop.

Is this a standard installation or Compact Installation? If Compact, what is the location.

Do you have error reporting still turned on, 5th and 6th boxes checked in the Preferences -> General tab.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

JG wrote:Try browsing to the file from the Install Modules dialog, instead of drag and drop.

Is this a standard installation or Compact Installation? If Compact, what is the location.

Do you have error reporting still turned on, 5th and 6th boxes checked in the Preferences -> General tab.
standard install.

error reporting: it was not turned on but it is now. I could not tell if the problem got reported the last time I invoked ctrl-alt-del.

I tried installing files one at a time. Some installed OK but others cause TW to hang -- and it seems to be the same problem whether using "add titles" or file > install modules. So far, the problem modules include King James Concordance, JFB, Mickelson.
JG

Post by JG »

Costas, do you have any more idea what this issue is?
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

I have no idea, but i would really like to find out. I don't see an error reported, or i may have lost it.
@kenfhill84083: do you have an errors.log file generated? If yes, can you email it to me?
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

csterg wrote:I have no idea, but i would really like to find out. I don't see an error reported, or i may have lost it.
@kenfhill84083: do you have an errors.log file generated? If yes, can you email it to me?
Where do I find errors.log ?
JG

Post by JG »

C:\ProgramData\The Word\Cache
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

JG wrote:C:\ProgramData\The Word\Cache
Here it is, dated 8/8/15. Again, when I run into the problem I have to ctrl-alt-del.
Attachments
errors.zip
(80.51 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

I should have reported it before, but I have this same problem on my home PC for a long time (Windows 8.1 and now 10). I have never been able to install an update using the "Add titles..." button. New modules install OK, but if I select an update, theWord downloads OK and gets stuck forever in install dialog. I tried to run theWord as administrator but the same happens. A funny coincidence is that I also use AVG (free version). I can't remember if I tried and disable it before installing updates. I can do this later today.
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
JG

Post by JG »

Rúbio if it is not too much trouble can you try it with AVG disabled and with AVG totally uninstalled and a reboot.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

I would VERY much like to resolve this. Rubio, any insight you can share will be valuable.
What is the exact point this happens? I don't see an error in the log file shared before to be honest. It looks as if theWord waits something that never happens, so i would need to understand the exact point it freezes.
Costas