Custom module sets

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
ErikJon

Custom module sets

Post by ErikJon »

Thanks again for your wonderful program.

In the new version 5 I noticed that you had implemented one of my suggestions, or rather, corrected the issue that I had pointed out regarding the "custom module sets" window.

Namely, that anytime I dragged a node from one part of the right-hand pane to a closed folder-node within the same tree, in the same pane, the folder-node itself would spring open as it received the transfer, but would remain open after that. At that point I would have either have to close the folder, or else do lots of scrolling in order to continue working, as I had hundreds of modules referenced above it and below it, all out of view because of this strange behavior.

I am very happy to see that you "fixed" it.

FIRST ISSUE: folders spring open to stay when dragging horizontally only

Today, however, I discovered that the issue persists when dragging from the left-hand pane to any folder-node in the right-hand pane! (Apparently I had never tried dragging horizontally before). Things are fine, if I drag only within the pane, but folders spring open, whenever I drag from one pane to the other, and, unfortunately, they stay open after that.

If I had only fifty modules installed, it would not be a problem, but I have over 500, and I try to keep them as well organized as possible, so that I know what they are and where they are (because the files themselves often have titles difficult to decipher, such as PNT.cmt for "Peoples New Testament [Commentary]"--it sounds like a mere Bible translation by the title, and with the abbreviation it is even beyond recognition).

SECOND ISSUE: reference to number of sets does not update

For the past few days I have been downloading modules that I did not need previously, namely on the subject of preaching. As I restart the program, there is always a bit of confusion regarding whether the modules were installed, which module set they were installed into, and whether anything was left out. (All this is a separate issue which I do not mean to address here). When I go to the left-hand pane in the "custom module sets" window, I can see that certain modules assigned a zero in the other column, are those which are supposedly not yet assigned to any one set. I have been installing many modules and yet many continue to appear as "zero", even if I re-save the set with the same name after dragging those references horizontally across to the right-hand pane and put them into any folder-node there. While the module-set window is open, things are fine, but when I re-start the program, certain modules continue to show in the left-hand pane as "zero" even though they have been correctly inserted into the tree on the right-hand pane. I have had to re-insert several module refrences this way many times, and not always the same references.

THIRD ISSUE: suggestions

While your custom-module-sets window is already quite nice, please continue to take into consideration my previously-posted suggestions regarding how to make it even more useful.

While these suggestions may not mean much to a household user who has only a handful of modules installed, they could be rather essential to a seminary student, whose list of modules easily grows into the hundreds, and who begins to keep them in a hierarchy of folder-nodes, each with its own subfolders. (Why should he refuse to accept and install more free modules, to build his library? Just for the sake of having a simpler "custom module set" window?)

Especially needed, for example, is the option of keeping all folder-nodes (and their subnodes) permanently collapsed or expanded at the user's discretion. Otherwise (if all folder-nodes are expanded), one takes a very long time just to drag one node vertically from one place to another, as he cannot drag and use the scroll bar simultaneously.

(Below is a link to my older post. Dr. Dave T. thought the suggestions were very good):

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5688&p=30973&hilit= ... set#p30973

Here is a link to my own "custom module set" node hierarchy:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6040&p=32209&hilit= ... set#p32209

Thanks again for your wonderful program.
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
DarrelW

Re: Custom module sets

Post by DarrelW »

Costas, these are good suggestions. I would like to see further "enhancements" in the module sets.

Darrel
Leoram

Post by Leoram »

I would too.
Leoram
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Concerning "folders spring open to stay when dragging horizontally only": I am afraid this is kind of odd behavior. I have not seen another standard app (like Windows Explorer) to temporarily spring-open a folder to allow a drop operation and then collapse when the drop is complete: i can think of users really wanting to see where the drop actually took place and to verify it's there

Concerning the "reference to number of sets does not update": this happens if you forget to check the 'Save Set' button. In that case, you may go back to the Book view and see the module there, but it is not really saved in the Set (if you change the set to another one and back you will see this). The only thing i see here is that when you click the 'Apply' button (which does save the set), the #count is not updated... minor i think.

Concerning the "keeping all folders expanded/collapsed": again, although i see that this will help a specific use case (e.g. you have 500 modes, all your folder are 1-level deep, you want to change a mod), this is not a generic solution.

I don't want to be negative, but the suggestions seems to only address specific use cases.
Costas
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Regarding the module sets, I always click "apply" and, before I close, I always save with the same name as the previous set, in order to update the existing set. I never close without saving, unless I have made no changes whatsoever.

Regarding the folder-nodes, I didn't think it would be so complicated just to have the option "keep all folders collapsed" for the sake of easy scrolling and moving, but I will take your word for it.

Many of my nodes are of a depth of five levels or more (I don't know if they were visible in the link that I provided.)

I can see, however, that some of my other suggestions on the older post may entail more complicated solutions. I am not a programmers, so I don't know which are complicated and which are not. I just like to give you feedback, and leave the decision to you.
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Erik,
I really appreciate your feedback and I (honestly) feel bad when I have to say 'no'.
As I grow older it becomes a little easier to say 'no' when I feel the benefit does not outgrow the effort needed :)
Costas
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

I appreciate your comments, because we otherwise could easily misunderstand your frequent rejection as mere indifference. I try not to get offended anyway, and up until now, most of the time I have succeeded. I don't know much about programming anyway, about what is easy to accomplish and what is not.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

There is indifference.... people who are around for a long time can testify how most of theWord features appeared ... they are actually user-requests.
Costas