How to disable obnoxious pop-up windows?

Ideas and suggestions about new features
ErikJon

How to disable obnoxious pop-up windows?

Post by ErikJon »

I still love your program, but every time my mouse accidentally hovers over any item in the Bibleview search results, or especially in the Bookview search results, an obnoxious pop-up window appears with the corresponding text inside, everytime I accidentally hover over the results.

While this could be useful in many situations, most of the time I just want to scroll through the results, collapse certain nodes, find two or three specific items within the results, and click on those only. Unfortunately, any time that my mouse gets "too close" to any of the search results, it opens up another pop-up window.

Also, when reading commentaries and modules withe all the Bible references highlighted, I usually do not need to read the verses referenced, but only the commentary text. Nevertheless, as I scroll, underline, or highlight part of the text, I inevitably hover over a link, and am faced with yet another pop-up window in my face.

Now, I seem to recall that these pop-up windows could be disabled somehow, but I cannot find out how. I must have overlooked something in the "help" file. The Bibleview window itself gives me the option of disabling pop-up windows, for the most part, and for delaying the time it takes for one to open. What we need is the same option for bookview windows and search-result windows.

In fact, I would not want to disable them altogether, but I would like to have the option of using CTRL+mouse hover to display them when I wanted them.

To have a delay setting would not be a good alternative, in my opinion, because when I want the information, I want it fast (not delayed), and when I don't want the information, I don't want any pop-up window at all, not even a delayed one, (although I understand the concept.)

Do you remember when people were complaining about all the tool-tip windows opening? Originally there was no option to disable them, but you included one later, and, judging from the comments on the forum, I think we all have felt very relieved. Well, these undesired pop-up windows have the same effect--except that they are much bigger--and it seems that they cannot be disabled. Please give us the option of opening them only when CTRL is pressed.

Thanks again, and please excuse the frustration.
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
csterg
Site Admin

Re: How to disable obnoxious pop-up windows?

Post by csterg »

Erik,
Bible Search view -> Options ->Show verse as tooltips on results tree.
Book search view: does not exist: is this the only one you are missing?
Costas
JG

Post by JG »

Actually Costas, there are three other popup settings that would benefit from having the "press Ctrl" to show a popup option added. All are in the Preferences -> Advanced tab

1. Show hints when hovering over Bible view module sets.
2. Show hints when hovering over book view module tabs.
3. Show help tips.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Thanks Jon!
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Oops! Boy, do I feel stupid. I have not seen "Bible Search view -> Options ->Show verse as tooltips on results tree" in about two years. I set the preferences once, and then left them. Maybe I did not understand at the time, or maybe TheWord reset that one without telling me.

I mentioned in another post that TheWord often resets one or two of my preferences, every week or two, and usually not the same one.

I just noticed, for example, that today's reset was regarding Bible-search view -->"current Bible". I had it set to "current Bible," but somehow it goes back to "default Bible", "this Bible," or "all Bibles." This was a more frequent phenomenon in a previous version, but it still happens occasionally. Of course, I never know when my own OS is to blame, so you will have to excuse me.

Back to the subject. Now that you solved that one issue with Bible search view results, yes, my bookview pop-ups are the only other pop-up that needs to be tamed.

(Although we are still curious to know whether someday you will allow CTRL pop-ups within a pop-up. Don't answer that question, as I already know the answer.)
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
JG

Post by JG »

Do you use Layouts often? as this could be the origin of your settings appearing to reset.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Ouch! Yes, good point. I use layouts VERY often.

In fact, I use only the same layout, every day, but mainly as a precautionary measure, to prevent losing my preferred layout to some glitch in TheWord.

Two years ago, I lost my entire layout somehow, and had to start from scratch.

Even recently, however, with version 5, I lose occasional settings.

Last week I had made a few changes, not to my layout, but regarding which windows were open for the moment, which chapter I was using, and a few other simple things like that. I did not save this slightly-modified layout, but I had already saved a very similar layout, the day before. For whatever the reason, I re-started TheWord in the normal fashion, and when the program opened up completely, my layout had returned to the previous day's layout, the previous day's chapter, and so on. (I think that even my bookmarks had not been updated, but I'm not sure on that one.)

Consequently, once I modify my layout a bit, if I remember to do so, I save my current layout as "User Layout 1", and often save it yet again as "User Layout 2."

Occasionally I back up my config.ini file to a separate folder, just in case, in addition to backing up the entire folder, every two or three weeks.

But I fail to see how simply re-saving the current layout as "User Layout 1" could cause any settings to revert to a previous state. Maybe you have an idea about that.

By the way, I would like to second the motion regarding JG's suggestion to combine the CTRL key with the tool tips. BUT, if I am not mistaken, at least one of them (the "help tip") currently becomes DISABLED when CTRL is pressed. (Unless it is due to my computer's malfunctioning). Consequently, I suggest that the preferences include the option of ENABLING each kind of tip ONLY when CTRL is pressed. Not only would it be easier on the fingers, but it seems to be the more standard approach in other programs.
JG

Post by JG »

I wondered if you were loading different layouts and forgetting to save... but as you say, just saving the layout as a 'backup' would not cause a problem.

So, the problem is that I have not been able to repeat the problem (yet), so if you can post which settings it is that you have lost (as it happens frequently for you), I can try to look out for those.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

O.K. I will try to take notes, from now on.
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Sorry, guys. I don't know if you have already mentioned it above, but I may have found another case in which the pop-ups apparently cannot be disabled: namely, the "Book search view" search results.

Similar to the Bible search view, I hover the cursor over the search results and the pop-up window is in my face. In this case, however, I have no three tabs from which to turn this feature off (i.e., "fast," "detailed," "options"). (Whereas in Bible search view, I do).
JG

Post by JG »

You have to set this in the config.ini file [general] section

booksearchview.showpopup.on.tree=

Default is 1 (true).
Whether to show the content of the topics in a popup when hovering over the book search results list.
Use 0 to turn it off, 2 to show only when CTRL is pressed.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

O.K., Jon. Cool. Thanks for the secret tip.

But, of course, manually modifying the config.ini file is asking a lot from users who know nothing of the config.ini file, nor programming in general. I will quite happily make the change myself, but don't you think it would be nice if we mentioned it to Costas, in case he would like to consider adding the option to the interface somewhere, like in the form of a check-box, with the the option of using only CTRL+right-click to open the pop-ups there, too?
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Hey, wait. The secret tip did not work.

I have nothing like you described in my config.ini file. The terms used are "bkv" and "bsv." "Showpopup" does not appear anywhere, but rather "show.popup"

The closest thing I've found was not in the [General] section, but it says this:

[tlbx._book_view_4]
bkv.always.floating=0
bkv.auto.expand=0
bkv.tree.show.popup=2 [I CHANGED THIS PART TO "2" MYSELF]
bkv.fuzzy=1
bkv.highlight.matching.buttons=1
bkv.multirowtabs=0
bkv.chevronmove=1
bkv.link=1
bkv.link.evenifinactive=1
bkv.link.cmts=1
bkv.link.dcts=1
bkv.show.toc=0
bkv.topics.tree.expanded=0
bkv.reader.color=536870911
bkv.ppi=124
bkv.grab.mode=0
bkv.show.bcv.buttons=1
bkv.topics.pos=0
bkv.topics.width=161
bkv.topics.height=27
image.autosize=1
image.autosize.mode=2
bkv.background.image=
bkv.background.style=0
bkv.page.margins=10,0,10,0
tlbxMain.Rev=2000
tlbxMain.Visible=1
etc...

In fact, based on what you said, I changed "0" to "2", anywhere in the file that I found "bkv.tree.show.popup=0". Unfortunately, I haven't seen any results from the change. The pop-ups continue to appear, so I am going to change them back to "0."
JG

Post by JG »

If you don't have that item simply add

booksearchview.showpopup.on.tree=

under the [general] section with the 0,1, or 2 setting.

This is not a secret thing, it is mentioned in the Help Advanced Functions, -> working directly with the config.ini

I keep any additions I have made to the [general] section at the top for easy review.

As to getting these settings into various dialogs. Costas is well aware of the situation and uses all his time in the best way he can. Even what might seem like a quick fix is not usually the case due to the complexity of the program.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

O.K. Thanks again for the help!

I added what you told me, and it worked like a charm. I don't understand it, but I'm happy.

Yes, I am aware of the chapter in the HTML Help file, about manually working with the config.ini file, but I assumed that it was just informational for curious, advanced users, so, to be honest, I never read it.

You know, I think we users prefer to skim through most of the chapters the manual lightly, at first, and then use it as more of a reference than as reading material, when we need it, but then we cannot always find what we are looking for in it, and lots of minor subjects are not even listed. So, we ended up searching the forum briefly, and if nothing shows up, we post the question. The trade-off is that we sometimes end up asking questions that were already answered in the manual somewhere, and we end up feeling bad about asking.

Thanks again.