Bookmarks get lost

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
rdwray

Re: Bookmarks get lost

Post by rdwray »

I am not going to take this any further and do not expect a response, but I am going to take it to task:

1) Read all variables from .ini
2) On click save bookmark x to variable x
3) On close write all bookmark variables to .ini

Combine lines 2 & 3:
There are 10 bookmarks meaning that 10 lines of code require modification and the addition of 1 line to write it to .ini - the bookmark variables would require deletion from the closing code (the simplest way would be to move the bookmark code for writing to .ini). Any other variables can still be written on close.

If I had the toolbar and closing code, I could do it for you....
Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
“For My yoke [is] easy and My burden is light.”
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

I wish things were that simple with programming... I can find so many loopholes in the logic here, it could take me a lot of time just to explain them :) - just to make my point:

Assume you have a config.ini file that is 5MB long and contains 30K lines. Let's assume you have a user running on an old linux machine or an under-powered tablet where writing such a file is slow. This means that whenever the user hits the 'save a bookmark', the interface stalls for 200-2000ms. How would that feel for the user? I am only now talking about one use case, i am not discussing several other issues.

The point is this: to properly implement such logic, the current design is insufficient. A re-design is necessary, it's not enough to just 'save always'. It would be enough if i could assume that everyone has fast cpu, fast disks or small ini files (e.g. 10KB). Maybe 80% of the users are in this category, but how many users really run 2 instances?

Costas
rdwray

Post by rdwray »

I had a feeling that you were doing it for speed rather than convenience... I do some programming, but I am not running a 33k PC and what I produce is not for the general public like TW is.

You say I am different :D running two instances, ha, sometimes I have a many as three running and each of those has three bible views with two book views and a search view. Hey, if you want something tested, just send it to me; I use to work on industrial machines.

May God's blessings fall on you for all your wonderful work and may your life be without the troubles of this world.

Roger
Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Thanks Roger.
I also have a very fast PC for my work (the fastest i could afford, with 32G of ram and a fast i7/8core cpu, with a 1GB SSD), but this is not the PC i use as target machine :)
Costas
rdwray

Post by rdwray »

Got me beat, 2.5G processor, 4G memory and a 500G HD. Have the SSDs got any faster? I know that the memory sticks I use are a little slow.

Edit: I also have a 1.73G processor, 2G memory and a 60G HD running XP that seems to handle TW just fine - this is my back up file server with an external HD.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

If you ask me, the SSDs have been the greatest invention in the PC industry in the last 10 years... without them we would still be struggling with upgrading to faster CPU and RAM (although modern CPUs are really awesome).