Ctrl-Shift-P Issue

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
John45

Ctrl-Shift-P Issue

Post by John45 »

I have ctrl-shift-p turned on rather than clipboard monitoring. Today I tried to use it and it didn't work. Instead it showed the text of the last passage displayed the last time I used clipboard monitoring. This may be due to running the latest Win10 build (14316). However, I thought I should let you know.
John
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Ctrl-Shift-P Issue

Post by csterg »

John,
i don't think this is necessarily related to Win10. It might be a temporary issue with your clipboard. Try to reboot your machine and let me know if it persists.
Costas
John45

Post by John45 »

I did two things. I had Ditto installed, which has not caused a problem with this in the past. I uninstalled it and restarted the computer. The problem persists.
John
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

John,
unfortunately it's difficult to locate the problem. Is it possible that another program is using this combination? Would it help if you try another shortcut?
Costas
John45

Post by John45 »

I would be glad to try that. I don't see a way in theWord to make this change. Would you please tell me how to do this?
John
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Unfortunately there is no way to change the shortcut, i thought there was.
Hm, i am not sure what to say to be honest. I could make a beta were i add the shortcut override to the config.ini so you can change it, would that help?
Costas
John45

Post by John45 »

Thank you very much for your consideration. I think it would be a great help. There are times when it is a great help to have this feature operational.

Clipboard monitoring is a great idea, but I have two issues with it. One is that when it is turned on, as I am working away on other things, the last verses I looked at randomly pop up in the middle of what I am doing. This is quite frustrating. The other is that I do quite a bit of work in MS Access and with clipboard monitoring turned on, I cannot copy from the clipboard to Access. Because of these issues I thought the ctrl-shift-p would be the answer, and it seemed to be for a while. I honestly do not know why it no longer works. I am running the latest version of Win10, 14328, in case you think that might be causing the problem.
John
John45

Post by John45 »

I am also running MS Office 2016 and discovered when Word is running, which is most of the time for me, ctrl-shift-p brings up the font window when Word is the subject of focus. But even with all the Office apps closed and ctrl-shift-p enabled in tW, it fails to work. Just thought you would like to know.
John
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Now that i look more closely, there is a config.ini override:

Code: Select all

[general]
cm.parse.hot.key=80
80 is the ascii code for 'P'. Change that to another key.

Costas
John45

Post by John45 »

I searched for this in the config.ini file located under C:\Users...AppData\Roaming\The Word. I found [General], but there was no cm.parse.hot.key in the file. I added it, but there was no change. I changed the code to 81 for Q, but there still was no change. Any ideas?
John
John45

Post by John45 »

Costas,
I think I have discovered the secret. With clipboard monitoring turned off and ctrl-shift-p enabled, if I do a ctrl-c first and then the ctrl-shift-p, then the passage shows up in a popup. Is that the way it is supposed to work?
John
JG

Post by JG »

:shock:
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
John45

Post by John45 »

I read what was in the help file about this and there was nothing stating that the user needed to get the reference(s) into the clip board before using shift-ctrl-p. Perhaps it is assumed they should know that. Neither was there any mention of the ctrl-shift-p function. Perhaps this should be added.
John
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Yes. There is no way for theWord to know that you have selected text in another program. The clipboard is the only way for two programs in windows to share some data...
John45

Post by John45 »

Thanks Costas. I was merely making the suggestion that it might be good to add a note in the help and/or on the Clipboard Monitoring tab telling the user that Ctrl-C was required first so they wouldn't assume the ctrl-shift-p was a replacement for the ctrl-c like I did. Since I have discovered how to use this, I have used it a lot and found it very useful. I would use the other (ctlr-c only) except that I have found it very frustrating to have it turned on. This is because once I have used it, then the verse text randomly pops up in the middle of my typing or reading. If there is a way to fix this, I would be most appreciative.
John