using dropbox to sync....?

Ideas and suggestions about new features
cornopean

using dropbox to sync....?

Post by cornopean »

Is there no way to use tools like dropbox or Google Drive to sync our libraries across different computers? It seems like if TheWord would read from a database that was stored in dropbox, it could always be synced up no matter which computer I was using. Is this a crazy idea or feasible?
“There is a danger of being a Pharisee when thou ceasest being a Publican.” --Anthony Burgess
jonathangkoehn

Re: using dropbox to sync....?

Post by jonathangkoehn »

It is feasible, if you do a search on the forum you should get some answers.
I use Google drive to sink across 2 computers at present.

There are a couple ways one is to put your books/Bibles on the sync drive the other how I do it is to put it all in there. Note if you put it all in there at times config may conflict.
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
petrosd

Post by petrosd »

I have "TheWord" configured as "compact" so all the settings and fies are expected to be in one folder. That folder is in my OneDrive folder (and synced) so it syncs all the time (tablet, laptop, desktop, and online). The only thing that i need to work on is making the layout different for each device. Then I would use "compact" and set up the settings in an un-synced folder.
cornopean

Post by cornopean »

petrosd wrote:I have "TheWord" configured as "compact" so all the settings and fies are expected to be in one folder. That folder is in my OneDrive folder (and synced) so it syncs all the time (tablet, laptop, desktop, and online). The only thing that i need to work on is making the layout different for each device. Then I would use "compact" and set up the settings in an un-synced folder.
How do you get TheWord to point to the new location of the directory with all the modules in it?
“There is a danger of being a Pharisee when thou ceasest being a Publican.” --Anthony Burgess
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Do you have a compact installation or a regular installation?
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
petrosd

Post by petrosd »

cornopean wrote:
petrosd wrote:I have "TheWord" configured as "compact" so all the settings and fies are expected to be in one folder. That folder is in my OneDrive folder (and synced) so it syncs all the time (tablet, laptop, desktop, and online). The only thing that i need to work on is making the layout different for each device. Then I would use "compact" and set up the settings in an un-synced folder.
How do you get TheWord to point to the new location of the directory with all the modules in it?
I have it installed as a "compact" installation. When you run the program, it assumes all the files and folders are in the folder it runs in (or in a sub folder of that folder). So you don't need to point theword to anything.
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

jonathangkoehn wrote:It is feasible, if you do a search on the forum you should get some answers.
I use Google drive to sink across 2 computers at present.

There are a couple ways one is to put your books/Bibles on the sync drive the other how I do it is to put it all in there. Note if you put it all in there at times config may conflict.
As Jonathan said, there are some answers on the forum that can help you. Like this one - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6509 - which tells you how to do what you asked here:
cornopean wrote:How do you get TheWord to point to the new location of the directory with all the modules in it?
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil