Analytic Septuagint with morphology tags

Discussion on theWord modules and other resources
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Analytic Septuagint with morphology tags

Post by csterg »

Samy,
this sounds an intereting, albeit a large project.
Dioegenes looks like the engine that does the search, but the data come from elsewhere. I assume such a project would require a lot of work and someone to commit a large part of this time and commitment,
Costas
Rodrigo Samy

Post by Rodrigo Samy »

csterg wrote:Dioegenes looks like the engine that does the search, but the data come from elsewhere.
Yes, Costas, it seems above all a search engine, however the dictionaries work offline, finely and quickly. Oftentimes I work offline, and Diogenes helped a lot, because there is no need to be online to have access to Perseus project. Thus, I think the source of the dictionaries databases is Perseus, but Mr Heslin incorporated them in his software so that it is wholly autonomous - no need to Internet connection.

Regarding the databases copyright, I am not sure if Liddell-Scott and Lewis-Short are considered public domain, or if Mr Heslin made a deal with Perseus to incorporate them in his free software - but I think he would be willing to help or at least to advise on how to deal with it - and I am willing to write both him as well Perseus project so that any copyright issue may be solved, God willing.

From what I know, if one wants to have access to the HUGE Corpora of Greek and Latin literature, and to search them through Diogenes, one would have to buy their databases (they are not in public domain), to download them and to work with them from their computer (offline). But the Corpora are not an issue to theWord - we need mostly a good and comprehensive Greek database, including inflected words with their accents and their morphology, and it already exists and works very well in Perseus site and in Diogenes offline, free software.

Costas, if you say ok I would write to Mr Heslin to clear up the copyright issue, in the hope someone able to work on the programming part might begin the good work. There are some details about a possible deal - pleasing for both parts - that, if you don't mind, I might write to you in private message. Only say me what is the best way to PM you, if you consider the matter worthy of your attention and time.

Thank you again for all your good work.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Samy,
I don't have the time to undertake such a project. Only if someone else is willing to do so.
Costas
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

Diogenes uses publicly available data from Perseus project. I even started working on a prototype dictionary for theWord using the same data back at the time you started this thread.
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Rubio, this would be a good mod
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

Costas, I sent you the prototype back in 2013, but we both agreed that theWord should do some kind of pre-search accent normalization before it could be used.
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Rubio,
i had totally forgotter and dimly remember now that you mention it.
Costas
Rodrigo Samy

Post by Rodrigo Samy »

Rubio,
if you might take this project again, it would be great! Thus, it seems there would be no copyright issue about the dictionaries.

Now, a thought: would it be possible (and practical, and more convenient) to make Diogenes work as some kind of add-in into theWord interface? I mean, as one may do some tasks of Foxit pdf reader within a Web browser or Microsoft Word, remaining all as autonomous software (though integrated).

Take a look on this site: http://www.earlychurchtexts.com/main/co ... ople.shtml. They have a good collection of Greek and Latin texts and, if you click any word, it will quickly open a window from Perseus page, giving the possible lemmas (if more than one) and the possible parsing. Now, since Perseus site works with more than one lexicon, you have to click on a link saying: "(Show lexicon entry in LSJ Middle Liddell)" or you may click on "search" to see examples from the Greek or Latin Corpus of literature.

Now, I thought on something similar with Diogenes as a theWord add-in. Since it works with only one Greek Lexicon (Liddell-Scott full version) and one Latin Lexicon, Diogenes display at once, in the very same page, the lemmas with the parsing, and the lexicon entry for each possible lemma.

Thus, if we might click or copy one Greek or Latin word, within theWord, and this would open a window displaying Diogenes results for this word, this would be great.

Sure, Liddell-Scott is not the best dictionary for beginners, due to its complexity. But this step would not imply, it seems me, in building too much programming within theWord codes - it would be rather a matter of word capture, sending Diogenes the captured word and opening a Diogenes window with the results.

Later, in a following step, it would be a matter of using the lemma and parsing results and linking them to already existing dictionaries, such as Mickelson-Strong, Thayer or Abbott-Smith.

I hope this brainstorming may have some valuable, practicable idea, not only non-sense :)
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Just checking on this project - has it gone any further or did it "die"? Thanks everyone!

Darrel
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

Rodrigo Samy wrote:Rubio,
if you might take this project again, it would be great! Thus, it seems there would be no copyright issue about the dictionaries.
Well, I didn't stop, I have a prototype module. But, as mentioned before, it still would need support on the TheWord part to deal with accent normalization, because it's undesirable to have duplicate entries, for graves and acutes. The module is already huge without duplicates.
DarrelW wrote:Just checking on this project - has it gone any further or did it "die"? Thanks everyone!
I also have a prototype LXX module and a companion morphology dictionary. But this doesn't seem to have stirred up much interest among the community. :cry:
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
JG

Post by JG »

Rúbio, I would not wait on Costas to make a fix to theWord. You could make the different accent in the topic list as "Link topics" and then it would not make duplicate content. Or you could make a custom index. There is a property that can be set to stop such an index being rebuilt once the topics have all been finalised.

Code: Select all

search.topics.no.autobuild is set to 1, then the topics_wordindex table (if it exists) will never be rebuild automatically (this table will be rebuild automatically for a non-user module only if a newer version of theWord brings new functionality and requires a rebuild of this table). If, for any reason, you have custom-build this table and you don’t want this to happen, set this attribute to 1. 
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

Yes, this is a good alternative, JG. :) I may implement it when I find some time.
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

I look forward to this Rubio!
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Hi folks, just checking on how this project is doing? Thanks!
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

This thread have forked into two different topics:
  • Accented LXX + morphology: I do have a working bible module and a companion dictionary. You can get it here.
  • An analytical Greek dictionary based on Perseus data: I also have a working module, but it's quite big (over 500MB). I started experimenting a little with JG's suggestion to use linked topics. It's done, but I didn't test it.
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil