Which window is used to open search result links?

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
ErikJon

Which window is used to open search result links?

Post by ErikJon »

I have about eight bookview windows open simultaneously. Can anyone tell me which one is used to display the results from a book-search?

Does it depend on which window is nearest to the book-search-view?
Does it depend on which window was the last window used before performing the search?
Does it depend on which window was active when I began the search?
Does it depend on the size of the windows?
Does it depend on which bookview window had been used the least, when the search began?

I can never predict which window will be used, and consequently, I usually lose part of my window layout, having to go back and re-select whichever module was in the bookview window, before my click on the search-results caused the window to display the new module. If there is not already a consistent option for this function, my suggestion is that you design it in such a way that, when clicking on any search result, the corresonding link will always display the informaiton in the last-used (active) bookview window, regardless of where it is on the screen, how big it is, and how often it had been used. Otherwise, please allow us a means for designating any one window as the one to use for all search results throughout the session, regardless of whether it was the last used.

In the meantime, please tell me how to predict which window will be used in the current set-up, if you would.
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
Jeff

Re: Which window is used to open search result links?

Post by Jeff »

I think you must have it set for the last active view. You can reset it though.

Just click on the arrow to the left of where you enter your text to search for.

Besides whole book views, you can search a single module, or whatever you want.
Attachments
BookSearch.jpg
BookSearch.jpg (28.41 KiB) Viewed 3274 times
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Either I've misunderstood you, or you've misunderstood me.

What I meant was the window in which my links open when clicking on any of the search results. It seems logical that they would either open in a new window, or else in the last-used window. In my case they open rather arbitrarily, wherever they please. I suspect that this is because TheWord has no specific preference designated for that kind of thing. (see screenshot)
Attachments
ScreenShot001.jpg
ScreenShot001.jpg (756.46 KiB) Viewed 3271 times
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Which modules/book view did you ask to have it search? Was it different than what the link opened?
Jeff

ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Jeff,

Thanks for your suggestion.

However, I have the search set to "current module" in green, (yours says "current module BBC") I make sure that the current module is open and active before beginning my search. This still does not help.

In fact, I have tried the other option "all modules of active bookview" but that does not help either.

In other words, if I have four commentary windows open, and two dictionaries, and I search only the active commentary window that I was using up until the search, I get the results in a book search window, of course, but any item that I click on among them, puts the results into one of my dictionary windows, for example, instead of using the active commentary window to show me what I was searching for within that commentary module.
Last edited by ErikJon on Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I guess I'll have to see if anyone else has any ideas. I haven't experienced unexpected behavior myself as far as I can remember. I would agree that if you have the module active, it should link to the view you have it active in.
Jeff

ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Yes, but what exactly does yours do, in the same situation? Does it put the results in the active bookview window?
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

ErikJon wrote:Yes, but what exactly does yours do, in the same situation? Does it put the results in the active bookview window?
No, it didn't open it in the same bookview that I had just opened the module in. So you got me, you're right, it doesn't seem to work as expected. :? I guess maybe I never noticed because I don't usually have a module I'm searching open in two different bookviews.
Jeff

Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Even if I have it search all books in the active book view (Book view [1]), then click on the result for that module, it opens it in the other book view ([2]).
Jeff

Jeff

Post by Jeff »

My guess is that it opens it in whatever book view the module was first added to when you were building the modules. If you go to "define module sets", in the list of available modules there is number of book views the module is available in, and it will show these modules when you mouse over. It appears it may select the first one that you have in the current layout. The config file would probably show also.

I know this really doesn't help, so I'll just try to wait to see if the experts can help.
Jeff

csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

theWord loops through all open Book views trying to find one that has the module you clicked on. The search is kind of random (ok, it's not random, it depends on the order you opened them). If it finds one that has the module, it just uses that.

If none of the view has it, then it tries to see if it can be added in one, etc.
Costas
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

I understand.

But it would sure make it easier to keep the window layout organized, if the search results always linked to the most-recently active window. That way I could plan beforehand where to show my results (by selecting my preferred window) before clickiing on the search results themselves. And, if I wanted to do a second search, I could then hand-pick the next-best window to use for displaying the linked results, before clicking on the search window results. It would be a wonderful way to keep the integrity of the user layout intact, and would make the process smoother.

Otherwise, I must constantly go searching through my (minimized) windows to find out which one contains the search results, as it is not always obvious, and oftentimes I lose the information that was in that window previously, just to view the new search results temporarily. It is a bit counter-productive.