BDB and Thayers Lexicons???

Discussion on theWord modules and other resources
csterg
Site Admin

Re: BDB and Thayers Lexicons???

Post by csterg »

Darrel,
I will talk to Tim, although there are some delicate matters here.
Costas
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Hey Costas,
Thank you. I appreciate that. Just curious - wasn't there others that had been working on the unabridged edition?

Darrel
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

I don't want to discuss this in public
cornopean

Post by cornopean »

A really good copy of Thayers is at BlueLetterBible. It's an actual copy of the page, so you don't have to worry about typos. see here: https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/le ... 2532&t=ESV
“There is a danger of being a Pharisee when thou ceasest being a Publican.” --Anthony Burgess
engellion

Post by engellion »

JG wrote: The other data I have is in pdf form, and in that one for some reason the Hebrew is not in correct word order; again a mess in reality. To try to correct all this would be beyond our ability resource-wise, as there are some 11,000+ topics.

However we do have the TWOT, which is not bad.
Hi John,

I have a PDF of the unabridged BDB I downloaded from archive.org. It is very clean, has Strong's numbers and correct Hebrew word order. There are some entries missing. But it is a start. Is this something that can be used as a starting point for an unabridged BDB for TW?

My main issue is in converting PDF to RTF. No matter what converter I use, both the Hebrew word order and character order gets reversed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Paul.
Attachments
BDB-1.JPG
BDB-1.JPG (159.72 KiB) Viewed 3534 times
PaulC

Check out YouTube for theWord Bible Software Tutorial Series 1
A series of introductory video tutorials for theWord Bible Software
JG

Post by JG »

I suggest contacting the author of the conversion software as one option and reporting the issue.

What converters have you tried?
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
engellion

Post by engellion »

What converters have you tried?
Here's some things I've tried.

PDF original:
BDB-2.JPG
BDB-2.JPG (66.77 KiB) Viewed 3519 times

I've tried Nitro PDF to Export to RTF. Here's the output:
BDB-2-theWord_PDF_Export_to_RTF.JPG
BDB-2-theWord_PDF_Export_to_RTF.JPG (66.26 KiB) Viewed 3519 times
Note, Hebrew is switched both word order and character order; diacritics are lost (the font name that displays in the editor when I click on a Hebrew word is "SBL Hebrew-Identity-H" (which I assume is a reference to the original marked up file). However, "SBL Hebrew" which I have installed does nothing to change the font's look, or restore the diacritics.)

I've tried Adobe's own cloud service to convert PDF to RTF (and Word). It manages to keep the diacritics, but still the same problem as Nitro PDF with the word and character order being switched.

I've tried straight copy and paste into a book view in theWord. Which gives the best results, but still not ideal:
BDB-2-theWord_PDF_Cut&Paste.JPG
BDB-2-theWord_PDF_Cut&Paste.JPG (43.83 KiB) Viewed 3519 times
Note, Hebrew remains RTL, but the BDB topic number, 4, gets shifted and the square bracket reversed in the pasted version. This happens in all lines that begin with a LTR character set, followed by a RTL character set.
It is a better result than the PDF to RTF converters give, but I don't relish the idea of cutting and pasting 11000 entries into a unique theWord BDB dictionary entry for each.
PaulC

JG

Post by JG »

Paul, you can try this product for 30 days. It appears to recognize many languages.
https://www.abbyy.com/en-gb/pdf-transformer
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
engellion

Post by engellion »

JG wrote:Paul, you can try this product for 30 days. It appears to recognize many languages.
https://www.abbyy.com/en-gb/pdf-transformer
Thanks Jon.

I tried it out. It's quite good, but still doesn't do the best job with the Hebrew text. Some is garbled.

Can only convert 97 pages maximum with the trial version, so its a no go.

Thanks.
PaulC