Verse-list bug

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
ErikJon

Verse-list bug

Post by ErikJon »

Very often, and for several years, I have used Bible search to find a certain verse. The verse appears then in my "results" window. I click on the reference in red, and wait for the context to appear in Bibleview. However, instead of getting the verse in its context, I often get the isolated verse in "list view".

(By the way, this happens when I do not have that verse in any "list view" collection. It never happens in conjunction with a previously-saved list in verse list, but always in a "new list" as an isolated verse, but not saved by any name. I think it happens usually when the entire verse is visible in the search results, but not when only the reference is visible).

I do not see a pattern, however, regarding the circumstances when this bug occurs; it is unpredictable. At first, I thought that I was clicking something wrong by mistake, but after seeing the problem recur, I realized that it was a bug. I have worked around the problem by simply re-clicking the reference in Bible Search view. The second time, it always pulls up the verse in context in Bible view.

I assume that you will not be able to repeat this phenomenon, as it is rather random. However, when I tried to repeat it myself, by going down a list of search results, and clicking either the reference or the quoted text of the reference, I was able to repeat it only once.
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
JG

Re: Verse-list bug

Post by JG »

Life of a bug hunter.

I repeated and repeated,
but to no avail,
I was not able to make it fail.
:)
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Ha ha. Nice one.

Well, all I can do is let you know. If it had happened only once or twice, I would not have mentioned it, but at least you can be on the look-out, for whatever that's worth.

Something in the back of my mind, by the way, is the fact that I have been using a portable version for about two years now, with the same config.ini inside it all the while. When I go from one computer to another, I just transfer the entire TW folder, of course, so it always takes along whatever was inside the folder. I don't know if any of my problems are the result of a corrupted config.ini file or any other file inside that folder, but the program behavior has never been so erratic that I suspected a problem. If there were a way to check that file for errors now and then, I would be happy to do it. I have reported a few bugs that no one else was experiencing, or that no one was able to repeat, and if they had all occurred on the same computer, I would have blamed it on the computer, but the folder itself is the only common denominator in each case.

I mentioned once, for example, that my Bibleview highlighter tool always appeared with the color "none" selected at program start-up, and that it had happened with different versions on different computers, for years, but nobody else seemed to have that problem.

So please keep that in mind.
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
JG

Post by JG »

Do you have the Bible search window to the right of the Bible window that the list view appears in? If so, is it possible that you accidentally dnd the verse to the Bible window, which is a legal move to add a verse to a list?
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

By Jove, I think you've got it.

I just tested what you suggested, and it seems to produce the problem that I described...

However, I never "drag" any verse from the search results to a Bibleview window per se, as I was unaware that this was a "feature" in the program; I only add verses to a list by clicking on the verse in Bibleview, right-clicking my mouse, and selecting whichever option in the context menu that allows me to transfer that verse to a verse list. Consequently I never would have made any attempt to drag the results, unaware that it would allow me to do so.

However, note that, as I am not dragging, but just hovering over back to the Bibleview window, this is when the verse list gets created so mysteriously; it seems to me that I should clearly be required to drag, in order for this to happen, so something is probably still wrong.

This would also explain why my window layout occasionally gets misadjusted, as I mentioned in another post. I merely click a title bar, for example, release the mouse button, hover over to another window, and to my surprise--albeit not often--the window follows my mouse, and my layout is destroyed.

I am using a wired/corded Microsoft laser mouse, by the way.

Attached is a screenshot of my current typical layout when doing a Bible search.
Attachments
ScreenShot002.jpg
ScreenShot002.jpg (876.89 KiB) Viewed 4224 times
JG

Post by JG »

So, it is a problem with your mouse. I have experienced issues with my wireless mouse when the dongle was at the back of the computer. I resolved it by putting it on a usb extension with the dongle placed higher above the back of the computer so it gets an uninterrupted signal.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

O.K. But in my case it is a wired mouse, right?

The cord goes to a tiny, cheap, passive portable hub. The hub has just a two-inch-long line of its own, so I have that hub connected to a USB extension cord. Then the USB extension cord is plugged into the back of the CPU.

If you see any problems with that arrangement, I will be happy to hear your suggestions.
JG

Post by JG »

I would try a direct connection of the mouse. If that still does not fix it, then try another mouse.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

But the more I think about it, the fact that this happens consistently tells me that the problem is not really the mouse itself.

In fact, if I click the search result, and IMMEDIATELY hover back over to Bibleview, I get the verse-list phenomenon. However, if I click the search result, wait for one second while hovering over the search results, and THEN hover back over to Bibleview, I get no verse-list phenomenon. This is consistent every time.

The same is probably true for the window movement described.

Consequently, it does not seem to be a mouse issue, but an issue with a mysterious delay.

However, one possibility is the fact that I have several LINKED bookview windows open, as you can see from the screenshot, namely, five commentary windows, which all must open simultaneously the search result clicked, before the cursor is fully ready to begin normal operation. In other words, I get a half-second delay (but not hanging) even noticeable on the cursor, when clicking any search result, requiring me to wait before going back to the Bibleview window.

So I think the issue is having multiple linked windows opened, creating a delay, which leads to anomalies such as the one described, which seems to be simply a case of the program's not being fully "ready" to continue with the next operation until the hesitation cycle is fully ended (i.e., not ready to allow me to hover back over to Bibleview to proceed with my reading.)
JG

Post by JG »

It does not explain the issue you had when clicking on the title bar and moving the mouse. It is like the mouse button is staying depressed. You could temporarily switch the function of the two buttons and see if it makes a difference.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Another possible issue is the fact that I have over 1,000 modules installed. Perhaps all of these module titles have to register correctly in the menus, in the background, any time a bookview window is modified. The "modification" ,in this case, is the fact that the five commentary windows are linked to the search results, and since TW tends to highlight all other commentaries that have comments on the selected verse--even when those commentaries are not open in any active window--it must mean that they are briefly scanned as well, in order to prepare that highlighting. I have about 100 commentaries installed, so I think that that fact would only add to the delay.
JG

Post by JG »

I will check this out.

If you could test something for me.

Make some folders on your desktop and arrange in a circle and then click on each one, clockwise or diagonal, and see if you have any folder moved within another. This would prove there was something wrong with the mouse.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

O.K. I've just done it. 12 folders in circular array. I clicked about 40 times, diagonally, clockwise, counter-clockwise, etc., back and forth. Not one accidental drag so far.
Attachments
ScreenShot004.jpg
ScreenShot004.jpg (98.21 KiB) Viewed 4214 times
JG

Post by JG »

I agree with your proposal. I was able to repeat the issue eventually with 700+commentary modules. I suppose the solution lies in the hands of the user not to be too quick moving the mouse over into the Bible view.
I don't know if Costas can do anything about it.

Thanks for trying my proposal.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Incidentally, I am using only one giant "custom module set" with a hierarchical arrangement of only 13 root nodes, and all of my modules are included in that active set. I assume that that would also affect the speed of the program. My folder arrangement itself can be seen here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6040
Last edited by ErikJon on Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.