Floating Header in Compare view shows only bottom of word

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
haegri

Floating Header in Compare view shows only bottom of word

Post by haegri »

I've just discovered TheWord, and I'm hugely impressed. Every problem I've found with it so far I've been able to solve with a little rooting around in the menus. The only thing I haven't been able to solve so far - and it's a very minor one - is that the floating title bar in compare view (I always use compare view) only shows the bottom half of the words. I'll try to attach a picture to illustrate.

As I say, this is a minor detail, and it may be something to do with my screen settings in windows, which have caused problems with one or two programs before, but I thought I'd mention it to see if anyone else is experiencing the same.

BTW - I followed the 'donate' links, but could only find a link to a USB pendrive version of TheWord. Is this the only means of donation available?
Attachments
halfbar.jpg
halfbar.jpg (11.74 KiB) Viewed 2509 times
Last edited by haegri on Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Floating Header in Compare view shows only bottom of wor

Post by csterg »

Hello haegri and welcome,
thanks for the post, yes this is an issue due to the large fonts you are using.
Obviously the font height is not calculated properly there and it is truncated.

You can donate indirectly by getting a DVD (or the pen drive) yes! It is a good way :)
Thanks,
Costas
haegri

Post by haegri »

Thanks for the quick reply Costas. As I say it's a minor problem and doesn't matter in the least. However, I spoke too soon about not finding problems - I've found another one, in that the default Greek and Hebrew Bible view fonts are seemingly no longer being recognised - they seem to be stuck at a previous setting, and changing them makes no difference to texts set (in global preferences) to use the default fonts. They're being written to the cfg file (config.ini) - I'm in compact mode - each time I change them, but apparently no longer being changed by the program. I've tried resetting and restarting, and also running in normal mode (by hiding the compact file) but I still can't get it to work. It was working OK yesterday. If I change the font settings in individual texts, that works fine. But I ought to investigate it further myself - in case I'm doing something stupid which is more than probable! - and if I still can't get it to work I'll start another thread about it.

Thanks again, or should I say, ευχαριστώ; (it must be strange for the original NT to have been written in your own language! But I suppose it seems natural to you! :) )

John.

PS - in case you've already read this, I forgot to say that it is the default Greek and Hebrew fonts in Bible view that aren't changing. They change as expected in Book view.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

haegri wrote:Thanks for the quick reply Costas.
Welcome.
However, I spoke too soon about not finding problems - I've found another one, in that the default Bible view fonts are seemingly no longer being recognised - they seem to be stuck at a previous setting, and changing them makes no difference to texts set (in global preferences) to use the default fonts. They're being written to the cfg file (config.ini) - I'm in compact mode - each time I change them, but apparently no longer being changed by the program. I've tried resetting and restarting, and also running in normal mode (by hiding the compact file) but I still can't get it to work. It was working OK yesterday. If I change the font settings in individual texts, that works fine. But I ought to investigate it further myself - in case I'm doing something stupid which is more than probable! - and if I still can't get it to work I'll start another thread about it.
98% you are doing something wrong (i leave 2% for a bug, but it is highly improbable).
Notice that some Bible texts have their own custom fonts that they use and don't follow the global font.
Thanks again, or should I say, ευχαριστώ; (it must be strange for the original NT to have been written in your own language! But I suppose it seems natural to you! :) )
Yes, ευχαριστώ it is :)
haegri

Post by haegri »

Thanks again. The funny thing is I could have sworn it was working (differently) yesterday - but I'll carry on trying!
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

If settings are not saved in config.ini, check your file permissions.
haegri

Post by haegri »

First of all, as I say below, this isn't a big deal and I'm not worried about it. It hardly affects the functioning of the program at all. I'm just writing about it in case it's of any further interest.

Settings (from Global Preferences) are being saved to config.ini, it's just that the program doesn't seem to use these in Bible view, although it does in Book view. For example, in book view, if you set the font to 'use default font', for any Hebrew text, it defaults to something that might be Cardo. If I set the default to Tahoma, they don't default to Tahoma - which is very distinct from Cardo - even if I restart the program. I think it used to work as I would have expected when I first started to experiment with fonts, although I can't be absolutely sure. On the other hand, texts in Book view immediately start to use the default Hebrew font as specified in Global Preferences.

I would have presumed that 'default font' in Global Preferences meant that the font definition was only for the Book and not the Bible view. But the Help file says (under Global Preferences):

'Default Greek font is the font used in the Bible View (my underline) to display things such as the Greek Bible, Greek words in Strong's numbers, etc.'

'Default Hebrew font is similar to the Greek font above, only Hebrew.'

However, whatever this is (or isn't!) doesn't much matter. I intend to use the same few Bible versions almost all the time anyway, once I find the best implementations of each (e.g. Hebrew OT, Greek NT) and it's just a case of setting the font and font size for each of the ones I use individually. No big deal because I'd be doing that anyway. It's only a temporary issue for me until I get the program set up to my requirements - it won't affect the use of the program at all once I get it set up. I actually think that the ability to choose different fonts and font sizes for each Bible module is tremendous, especially since I almost always use Compare view.

Meantime I think I've found a genuine bug, but I'll post that in the bug forum.

Cheers,

John.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hi John,
actually the bug is in the manual.
The File->Preferences->Fonts are used for the Book view, not the Bible view.
The default Bible view fonts are set under Tools->Bible view options->Fonts colors and styles.

So, the 'Default Bible text font' setting is used there for ALL Bibles, but you can override that setting by setting another font for a specific Bible, as you have already found out.

So, it is the manual that needs to be fixed,
Thanks for reporting!
Costas
haegri

Post by haegri »

Ah! That explains it. So there isn't a separate Greek and Hebrew font in Bible view - only a general default font. Obviously I just imagined that the settings in Global Preferences were working in Bible view - I guess the default font must coincidentally have been the same as the font already set for the modules.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Correct. There is no 'Greek' and 'Hebrew' font for Bibles.
Actually, Greek and Hebrew Bibles have embedded a list of default fonts they will attempt to use.
Costas