NA28 & NA27 morphology parsing error?

Discussion on theWord modules and other resources
jonathangkoehn

NA28 & NA27 morphology parsing error?

Post by jonathangkoehn »

In Galatians 5:18 (edited sorry Ephesians 5:18) of NA8 & NA27 the word μεθύσκεσθε is shown to be V-PPN-2P instead of V-PPM-2P as other sources report it to be. I'm not sure if this is an error or if there is a reason behind this? If there is a reason behind this morphology I'd be interested to know.

Thank you for your time and the wonderful tool.
Last edited by jonathangkoehn on Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
UBC4ME

Re: NA28 & NA27 morphology parsing error?

Post by UBC4ME »

jonathangkoehn,

I believe you meant Gal 4:18? If so it is one of those interesting verse/word in the Greek. Tr, Byz has it as an infinitive while Byz2005, Grk+, Tischendorf, and Robertson has it as an imperative. A translators/readers prerogative. Personally, after 30 yrs of greek study, I see it as an imperative due to the context and force of Paul's statement in this verse/chapter. Some see it as being informative completing the verbal action of the verb. With some of these verses/words as far as tense and mood depending on the translator they can go either way, but imo only one is correct. I am sure there are those that know much more than I, just my opinion. Either way, good reading on your part!

Dave
Dave
Gods gifts comes wrapped many different ways.
NorrinRadd

Post by NorrinRadd »

Are we sure this is Gal. 5:18 and not Eph. 5:18?

I'm going to assume we're talking about the latter, and note that the WHNU module's morphology notations match that of NA28.

I really don't know Greek, so I can only report what I see on my screen, not what I "should" see there.
UBC4ME

Post by UBC4ME »

NorrinRadd,

You are correct and I meant to say Eph 5:18.

Dave
Dave
Gods gifts comes wrapped many different ways.
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Thank you both sorry I'm doing a lot in Galatians and Ephesians. I meant Ephesians 5:18.
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

My Greek is growing but limited. Do we often find infinitives with endings such as 1s, 2s, 3s, 1p, 2p, 3p?
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

I did a quick morphological search using Greek LXX+# and Byz/MT NT+# with "m/V-??N-??" and I only seem to find this one instance.

Also Robinson's Morphological Analysis Codes entries for infinitives appear to be V-2AAN, V-2ADN, V-2AMN, V-2AON, V-2APN, V-2RAN, V-AAN, V-ADN, V-AMN, V-AON, V-APN,
V-APN-M (Interesting here is another one from 1 Corinthians 7:10), V-FAN, V-FDN, V-FXN, V-PAN, V-PEN, V-PMN, V-PNN, V-PPN,
V-PPN-2P (Here is the one from Ephesians 5:18), V-PQN, V-PXN, V-RAN,
V-RAN-ATT (Interesting here is another one from Luke 24:23) Edited this is ATTIC form (The Particular Robinson's I have, had an error), V-RNN, V-RPN.

It appears there are three cases in the New Testament and none in the LXX.

So it is possible for infinitives to have personal endings?
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

I checked Ephesians 5:18 in "The New Analytical Greek Lexicon" by Wesley J. Perschbacher and it is only shown as an imperative not an infinitive. I also checked 1 Corinthians 7:10 χωρισθῆναι and this is shown as an infinitve with no personal endings. Also Luke 24:23 was just my version of Robinson's it has ATT but for some reason that one said accusative and should have ben ATTic.

At this point I'm wondering if Ephesians 5:18 μεθύσκεσθε has a typo and should be M instead of N in the morphology.
Also 1 Corinthians 7:10 χωρισθῆναι appears to have a typo as well and should be V-APN instead of V-APN-M

Thoughts?