Column width inside 'Bible Search'_how to re-size?

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
miken

Column width inside 'Bible Search'_how to re-size?

Post by miken »

If this is answered already, sorry, could not find by searching.
Would very much appreciate any help... rapidly! - I have a project with needing a lot of Bible Search look-up -- and I am finding it almost 'impossible' to work with it at present... as my other views are strongly affected.

Problem:
After recent upgrades to TW (from older versions (v3) used for a long time...), my Bible Search view columns have become very widened, and it is v. difficult to use.
Normally my Bible Search was a relatively narrow column on the left, and verses (results) would take as much vertical space as the text needed - ie adjusting to column width.
Now, the results columns have become very wide, indeed at first I thought there was no verse text listed with the found references... because the text column was so much hidden. On manually dragging/resizing very wide - (and wide enough to fully expose the verses in the results), I discovered the text column... (see screenshots).

- Either:
----- why have the columns become so wide? I cannot find a setting to change this. What did I/or rather,TW/ do?

- Or - how to fix it?
---- am I missing seeing a control for columns, and setting some parameters for adjusting how content is displayed?
---- is it correct that, though I can 'drag' resize the whole Bible View, I have no 'drag' control over the exposed column widths?
---- is there a tweak I can do in config.ini to set column width? (I had a look, but didn't spot it...)

View of my 'normal' column width for Bible Search, (search is "your call") -now only shows refs (verse texts are hidden):
Left column('your call')=my 'normal' Bible Search size, now only shows refs.JPG
Left column('your call')=my 'normal' Bible Search size, now only shows refs.JPG (84.75 KiB) Viewed 2052 times
[/color]
View of resized Bible Search, dragged wide to show verses.
- The bible refs column is enormous, with wasted space. But I had to drag Bible Search so wide, to reveal the verses text. I cannot make this column narrower.
- The verses column is also wider than before, but maybe I can adapt to it... However I would prefer to resize narrower.
- The middle TW column is now unusable...
Bible Search dragged wide,to read verse results.JPG
Bible Search dragged wide,to read verse results.JPG (73.25 KiB) Viewed 2052 times
[/color]
Thank you for your help!!
miken
royhieatt

Re: Column width inside 'Bible Search'_how to re-size?

Post by royhieatt »

Hi Miken,

You should be able to run your cursor over the edge of your search box and the cursor will change to a small horizontal line with an arrow on each end. Left click your mouse with the line showing and drag the box to the size you desire. This is the typical procedure for changing all columns in most any program.

Hope this helps,

Roy
royhieatt

Post by royhieatt »

Hi Miken,

My previous post is of no value. Sorry. I missed one sentence in your post about you dragging the box. We will have to wait for Jon or Costas to deal with this.

Again, sorry for missing the sentence about you already dragging the box.

Roy
JG

Post by JG »

The column widths do have a mind of their own. However there is a width adjuster for the column either side of Book.

As a tip. When I want to see a wider Search view I hold down Ctrl key and click on the Bible Search title bar and it goes to a floating view. When I am finished I just drag n drop back into place.
0005 Jon theWord_2017-01-22_140313.png
0005 Jon theWord_2017-01-22_140313.png (19.8 KiB) Viewed 2041 times
There is no way to set these to set the width, so they might need tweaking often with a narrow window.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
miken

Post by miken »

@JG and Roy- Gentlemen, thank you indeed for your rapid responses! And by applying what you gave -- I have the solution now - (at least for the moment!)
And I feel a little foolish -- or that I didn't apply logic enough, and was fooled by the appearance.

Why the columns changed, I don't know. However, with whatever page colours I am using, (I do not remember ever changing from what was its original set-up, and have used this for some years) - there is no visible divider to drag for column width. I had indeed tried - I thought 'everywhere' - but I must have missed the sweet spot... Now, by trying again more slowly and meticulously, I found the cursor this time changed to the typical 'column width drag' symbol... as in JG”s screenshot’s first red box. My 'big problem' is now currently sorted, and I am indeed grateful for your help!

But - why the divider for columns is not visible in the 'Bible|Book|Count/Graph' (header) line - and only found by careful mouse-over - I still don't know. Though it seems to be the case also for JG’s second red box highlight, after ‘Book’.
I attach a screenshot of my Bible Search header, which also does not show any dividers.
(The faint column divider two lines below, between refs and verse texts in the results part, is not ‘active’/ not draggable).

I have learnt my lesson - but maybe another ‘lost soul…’ like me would value the help of seeing how to re-size these columns also.…

@Costas -- Would it be easy, and helpful - to put a divider line/or a wider/darker/ divider line if one exists/ - to mark the endpoint of the columns in this the 'Bible|Book|Count/Graph' header line - rather like the pipe lines I have put in this comment?

Many thanks!
Miken
Detail of Bible Search header - no dividers showing for the 3 columns.JPG
Detail of Bible Search header - no dividers showing for the 3 columns.JPG (58 KiB) Viewed 2026 times
therapon

Post by therapon »

I'm pretty sure the line is there. Its visibility depends on your choice of Skin. Some skins have better contrast for the line than others.

therapon