How to make subtopics in a dictionary module?

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
ErikJon

How to make subtopics in a dictionary module?

Post by ErikJon »

I created a user module for storing quotations by subject matter. I chose the dictionary format. Now, months later, after about 10,000 quotes have been added, little by little, I need to group my topics. For example, I had a topic called "science," and I found quotes from Einstein on science, quotes from Descartes on science, and even from Shakespeare on science. I would like to put those three topics into my "science" topic, to make them subtopics, as I have always done with book modules, however it does not seem possible, so I am stuck. Is there a way to convert this dictionary module into a book module without losing information? Why does the dictionary format not allow subtopics? I may never use the dictionary format again, after this experience. In fact, I was hoping that it would sort my topics alphabetically, but it does not do that either, so I am not sure why I even need it, if a GBK format is more flexible.
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
JG

Re: How to make subtopics in a dictionary module?

Post by JG »

You just need to change the type value from 1 to 3 as per the spec doc
http://www.theword.net/docs/tw3-book-module-spec.doc
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Thanks, Jon. I appreciate that information.
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Oops. I figured out a more non-technical way to do it, on my own.
I created a new GBK module with a similar name.
I opened the dictionary module in question, and revealed the empty topic tree there.
I selected all of my topics from the dictionary module and dragged them across the screen to the topic tree of the new GBK module.
Now I have a duplicate module, but the topics can be sorted with greater flexibility.

(However, I am still waiting for the feature that will allow me to sort the topics alphabetically and automatically from the right-click context-menu.)
JG

Post by JG »

I was not sure if you had any hyperlinking that could be effected, but yes there is the dnd way.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet