TW Message-Window Demons everywhere

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
ErikJon

TW Message-Window Demons everywhere

Post by ErikJon »

Forgive me for not using the correct term for these message windows. After looking at my screenshot, you will understand.
For two years I have been mildly bothered by the fact that TheWord gives me lots of message windows to read and close. When installing new modules I usually get ots of them with lots of text to read, so I just click "yes" on all of them, and hope for the best.

Nevertheless, one in particular seems completely unnecessary.

When doing a search in bookview, or a search-and-replace operation, TW does the job, and then asks me whether to repeat the search at the beginning of the page. I usually refuse the offer by clicking "no." In fact, I would rather not even be asked that question, because I have intentionally chosen to search from a certain point in the document anyway, and intentionally selected to search downward only--not to do a wrap-around search.

So, at this point I am already bothered to be shown a message window. I refuse the offer to continue the search, by clicking "no," and I expect to be rid of these windows, to continue working. Nevertheless, the TW message-window demon is not satisfied to leave me alone just yet. TW goes on to do yet another quick search (apparently) from the top of the page,, without my permission, and, finding no further instances of the word being searched, tells me that there is not further evidence of that word. In fact, it is not content to give me the useless information, but rather insists on receiving my confirmation click, before getting out of my way.

So, as I see it, this is one window too many, and possibly two, making it a bit frustrating to continue working each time.

I suggest that you first cast out the demon in the name of Jesus, and second, that you eliminate this last message window altogether.
Attachments
TW message demon.jpg
TW message demon.jpg (390.6 KiB) Viewed 2200 times
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
JG

Re: TW Message-Window Demons everywhere

Post by JG »

The logic used there is fine.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
petrosd

Post by petrosd »

The sequence is entirely logical and "normal" - and not "demonic" (???)

If you search in any Windows editor/word processor, the search begins from wherever you are and "Down" (towards the end) unless you choose "Up" (towards the beginning), if that's an option. Once it reaches the end, you're then asked if you want to search from the beginning ("Down" = to wherever you are). If you do, you do, and if you don't, you don't. Once the search ends, and nothing is found, the system tells you (otherwise you might think it's broke). You click "OK" to acknowledge that you are aware of this. Then you're done.

You could try going to the beginning of the document and searching from that point. When you get to the end of the document, it might not bother asking if you want to search from the beginning. I have no idea, so if it doesn't, I can't "fix" it.
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Yes, thank you. I have realized that I had failed to explain the problem clearly. What you say is true, provided that the search began somewhere down the page.

However, what happens in TheWord is that this third window appears even when beginning the search from the very beginning of the page, thereby declaring what should already be obvious to the user, making its announcement utterly unnecessary, and appearing as more of a nuisance than a help.

Try it yourself, from the beginning of any bookview window.

Of course, if I have already selected the option of searching downward, I should already understand that searching upward is not an option, so there is no need to remind me, technically. Otherwise, the option of doing a wrap-around search would do just as well, I suppose.

Also, why should we be asked whether to continue the search at all, if TW intends to proceed without our approval anyway?

And it was certainly an exaggeration to have written that they were "demons." I must have mistyped the word by only one letter. Yes. I think that I meant to say "lemons." Not demonic behavior but "lemonic" behavior. No need to invoke the name of the Lord on that one. I can just as easily cast them out in the name of Jon.
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
JG

Post by JG »

I still believe the logic is correct.
When a match is found it jumps there, and 'Find' goes to the next match etc. When the last match is brought into view(Find does not know this ahead of time) and you press Find and it reaches the end of the document, it is simply asking do you want to continue from the top?(because you might want to go through them again) you say no, and the popup says, In that case, I did not find any matches in that last search.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

To that I conclude, "This kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting." (Mt. 17.21)