How to Bookmark in Book view

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
Gunawan

How to Bookmark in Book view

Post by Gunawan »

How to Bookmark in specific Book. I try Ctrl R and Right Click my mouse and doese.n work, no choice to insert a bookmark.
Thanks
Bayu
JG

Re: How to Bookmark in Book view

Post by JG »

http://www.theword.gr/manual/bookmarks_book_view.htm
Hi,
Note from the above portion of the manual that the module will only accept bookmarks if it is in "user mode". Also note that these bookmarks are for use in displaying of hyperlinking and popup windows, and might not be "bookmarks" as you would quite expect.

Jon
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
vervalin

Post by vervalin »

I think the Manual might have an error regarding this.

Book view Bookmarks
Overview
Bookmarks can be added to arbitrary positions in the content of any non-user module.
To add a bookmark, place your cursor in the Book view editor at the location you want and press CTRL+R

It says bookmarks can be added to any NON-user module. I think they can only be added to user modules. I think I'm understanding this correctly....

God Bless,
Paul
JG

Post by JG »

Hi Paul I had already noted this to Costas, (along with another 9 fixes) but I did forget that it was not in the release of the manual yet. Thanks

Jon
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Seven years later...

I have hardly ever used bookview bookmarks until now. It ought to be rather simple, but I cannot figure it out.

The manual still shows these instructions (online or offline version):

Book view Bookmarks
Overview
Bookmarks can be added to arbitrary positions in the content of any non-user module.
To add a bookmark, place your cursor in the Book view editor at the location you want and press CTRL+R or right-click and select Insert bookmark... from the popup menu.

Found here: http://www.theword.net/manual/index.htm ... k_view.htm

Nevertheless, I still get what you see in the screenshot below. No option to "insert" a bookmark.

Now, then, if it turns out that bookmarking is not possible in non-user modules, I must complain. If we can apply user highlighting to non-user modules, we should certainly be able to apply bookmarks also, even if they are not permanently embedded. This is a must. Whether using the "gray dot" or using some invisible highlighter or blue underlining, to apply the bookmarks, some option must be available. Even a simple program like Adobe Reader allows the user to bookmark whatever he wants.

In case you misunderstand what I mean by "bookmark," I mean any marker that can instantly take me to the same topic for quick reference. For example, I discovered the Mickelson chart of the Hebrew alphabet, inside the Mickelson module. I wanted just to bookmark it, so that, the next time i needed to see any chart of the Hebrew alphabet, this link would be on the list of possibilities; I might not remember which module contained it, nor which topic, but a quick bookmark of this sort would solve the problem, taking me directly to it, just as Bibleview bookmarks take the user directly to any verse.

While the Bibleview bookmarks are direct, I think it would be perfectly logical to require bookview bookmarks to take the user first to a list of all bookmarks, from which he could choose and specify which bookmark he was looking for, especially if he could give each bookmark whatever title he wanted.

Where to store these bookmarks, I don't know. The important thing is that the list of such bookmarks be easy to find, in itself. A purple bookmark icon on the toolbar, for example, could pull up a list of all current bookmarks (I should hope the list would allow for unlimited bookmarks). Otherwise, the same bookmark list currently accessible through the context-menu would be fine, multi-functional: for inserting new bookmarks or for locating current bookmarks.

Meanwhile, you must explain in the user manual immediately, on the same page mentioned above, that "bookmarking is not possible in non-user modules", otherwise we users will continue to search the manual and the forum for help.
Attachments
tw bookmarks.jpg
tw bookmarks.jpg (158.44 KiB) Viewed 2645 times
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
JG

Post by JG »

ErikJon wrote:Seven years later...
Slow internet in Greece.
I just corrected the manual there so it does not get overlooked, again [not uploaded though].
It was not the only correction that did not make the manual... in 2010
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Ha ha ha.

Progress is progress.

I was just looking over the context menu again, to see if the program even provided the option of making a hyperlink out of any key word within a non-user module topic, as a work-around regarding bookmarks, but apparently that is not currently an option either.

Consequently, it looks like the current bookmark option for user modules would be ideal, if only applied to non-user options, in the same way that highlighting and underlining can be applied to either but preserved permanently only within user modules.

Let me know if there are any work-arounds that you know of.

Otherwise, I can just copy paragraphs of text to paste within a new scratchpad module, but then I have to cite the source every time I paste, just to know where it came from.
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Ouch. It looks like it gets worse. Correct me if I am wrong, as I am still new to bookmarks, but today I think I discovered more problems with bookmarking...

Apparently, not only can we not bookmark articles in non-user modules, but even when we bookmark a user module, when we try to find that bookmark months later, among 200 modules, such as by browsing through a list of previously-saved bookmarks, if the cursor is inside any module other than the one that we marked, the bookmark no longer appears on the list of bookmarks! So now we must first remember which module we were using when we set the bookmark, in order to find it on the list and click on it. That is bad.

That is comparable to a telephone that allows the user to quickly dial any person automatically as long as he remembers a predetermined ten-digit secret access code assigned to that person. Say what? Did I miss something on the bookmark function?

I am sorry to sound critical, as I really appreciate all the hard work that Costas and Jon have done. But
I do think that this issue of may possibly be one of the more important issues to resolve, as bookmarking is one of the main things that readers do when doing research.

First of all, it seems to me that all bookview modules should be bookmarkable, not just non-user modules. I would think that the more professional commercial publications would be the ones that we users would be more likely to bookmark anyway, as they often represent better scholarship. It's like being able to mark my own personal diary at home, or a notebook, but not being able to insert a bookmark between any pages of the twenty-nine volumes of my Encyclopaedia Britannica. I am allowed to underline anything inside it, highlight it with single lines, dotted lines, wavy lines, even change the color of the text or remove all user formatting whenever I like, but I am not allowed to stick a simple bookmark on page 859, for example.

Second, it seems to me that there should be one database window for all user and non-user bookview-module bookmarks globally, regardless of where TW chooses to store them and display them. The user should be allowed to group them by title, subject, alphabetically, but not by module title, as we do not generally search by author and title but by subject.

Otherwise, we wil continue to copy and paste digarams, charts, paragraphs of text, and other things, over to scratch pads and word processors, and then store the word-processor documents on the computer in the logical fashion described. Unfortunately, when we do that, we have to go back every time and and transfer the publication data to the new document, so that we don't forget where in the world the information came from.

Better bookmarking would be a nice solution to all of that, I think.

Sorry to complain.
JG

Post by JG »

Bookmark usage is similar to MS Word Bookmarks

In theWord, this is the stated purpose also.

How are bookmarks useful for popups and footnotes

The usefulness of bookmarks comes from the ability to define Hyperlinks and use them as anchor points. This allows you, for example, to:

· Use them to define footnotes on the topic level

· Use them to force parts of a topic to appear in a popup when the user hovers his mouse over a link.

· Create links that drive you to a specific point you in a topic

Please, read the Hyper linking topic for details.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software