Clipboard Monitor fails on Extended Display

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
engellion

Clipboard Monitor fails on Extended Display

Post by engellion »

I have Windows 10 set to "Extend" the desktop across two displays.

The primary display is my tablet screen (Display 1). The secondary display is an LCD monitor (Display 2) plugged into my tablet dock's Mini-Display port.

TW is open and appears in Display 1. My word processor is open and appears in Display 2.

When I copy a verse reference appearing in my word processor, clipboard monitor does not pop-up.

Drag TW over to appear in Display 2, copy a verse reference appearing in my word processor, clipboard monitor works as expected.

Is this a bug?

Please advise.

Thanks.
PaulC

Check out YouTube for theWord Bible Software Tutorial Series 1
A series of introductory video tutorials for theWord Bible Software
JG

Re: Clipboard Monitor fails on Extended Display

Post by JG »

Hi Paul, I have a similar setup, but don't have any issue.
Maybe someone else can check if it works for them.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
royhieatt

Post by royhieatt »

Hi Jon,

I have the same setup and just did a test as the problem was described, and the clipboard popped right up as expected.

I'm using Win 10 and WordPerfect 8 as my word processor.

Roy
engellion

Post by engellion »

Hi Jon,

I'm guessing this is an issue with high resolution displays.

Display 1 - Surface Pro 3, 12" display, resolution 2160 x 1440
Display 2 - Philips LCD monitor, 24" display, resolution 1920 x 1080

Windows 10.1607 Build 14393.693
TW v 5.0.0.1450
MS Word 2016 - Two documents open, side by side on Display 2.

SCREEN SHOT 1
Look at the below Screen Shot 1, extended desktop mode.
Screenshot 1_resize.jpg
Screenshot 1_resize.jpg (628.99 KiB) Viewed 3466 times
On Display 2, selecting and copying a verse reference within the right-hand document, nothing happens.
Selecting and copying a verse reference within the left-hand document (in this case, Matthew 15:8,9), clipboard monitor pops up, but almost off the desktop to the right. However, this is not always consistent. Navigate the document on the left to a different place, copy verse reference, and clipboard monitor fails to display. (or else if it has popped up, is no where to be seen on either Display 1 or Display 2)

If I drag TW over to Display 2, only at the point in which it downscales to match the resolution of Display 2 (SCREEN SHOT 2), is all good. Clipboard monitor works as expected. Luke 17:5 pops up. (SCREEN SHOT 3)

(Obviously not workable as I need TW to appear fully on Display 1.)

SCREEN SHOT 2
Screenshot 2_resize.jpg
Screenshot 2_resize.jpg (600.01 KiB) Viewed 3466 times
SCREENSHOT 3
Screenshot 3_resize.jpg
Screenshot 3_resize.jpg (586.54 KiB) Viewed 3466 times
Any point at which TW is appearing in up-scaled mode to match higher Display 1 resolution (2160x1440), clipboard monitor fails for documents on Display 2. Any point at which TW is appearing in down-scaled mode to match the lower HD (1920 x1080) resolution of Display 2, clipboard monitor works.

Is this an issue of focus for TW when it needs to upscale or downscale, depending on which display it appears on? i.e. Does clipboard monitor get confused about whether it needs to upscale or downscale the pop-up, and thus is confused about its placement as per SCREENSHOT 1? Or even appearing nowhere on Display 2 as is the general case with my setup?
Last edited by engellion on Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
PaulC

engellion

Post by engellion »

Further to my last post here, this is what makes me think this is a scaling issue when there is a high DPI monitor (higher than Full-HD) sharing an extended desktop with a low DPI monitor (Full-HD or lower).

I did a swap, placed TW on Display 2 (1920x1080), and word processor document on Display 1 (2160x1440), highlighted Galatians 2:16, and clipboard monitor pop up appears in place on display 1 as expected. However, note the resolution of the popup. It's resolution has not been scaled up. It is matching the down-scaled resolution of TW on Display 2.
Screenshot 5_resize.jpg
Screenshot 5_resize.jpg (418.28 KiB) Viewed 3466 times
As I want TW to sit on Display 1 and my word processor with two documents side by side to sit on Display 2, as per previous post, this is not workable.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
PaulC

JG

Post by JG »

I have matched monitors, so I don't have problems or any way to test this.
Could you set the popup to always appear on one monitor?
What effect does the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" in the compatibility tab have?
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
engellion

Post by engellion »

Thanks very much Jon for the suggestions.

Unless I am looking in the wrong place, TW preferences only allows placement of the pop-up to be set at corners, mouse position, or last position. No option to choose which "Display". That said, setting it to display the pop-up in "Upper left corner" works for my current layout. Though, obviously, from the screenshot below, "Upper left corner" is no where near the top left of Display 2. But this is workable.
2017-02-16 (8)_resize.jpg
2017-02-16 (8)_resize.jpg (503.97 KiB) Viewed 3459 times
(BTW, when I drag TW to Display 2, pop up works as expected and appears in the very "Upper left corner" of Display 2.)

Your other suggestion about "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" works as expected, with pop up set to display at mouse cursor position. But I don't think I could work with TW unscaled when on the higher resolution display. Too fiddly to get it to display content at a readable size for my liking. And dialogue box buttons etc don't always appear in full. Scaling enabled on high DPI settings is much more preferable.

Here's a look at what happens when scaling is disabled:
2017-02-16 (12)_resize.jpg
2017-02-16 (12)_resize.jpg (546.74 KiB) Viewed 3459 times

Perhaps this could be noted as an issue. But I have no idea what would be required to fix it.
PaulC

JG

Post by JG »

Paul, we will have to wait for comment from Costas.

Only other thing I might have tried is to change the position of the screen 1 and 2. In the Customise your display page of the OS you can drag n drop the display 2-1 to be 1-2 side by side to see if that is more acceptable/works.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
engellion

Post by engellion »

No worries, John.

No, changing the display layout (1-2, 2-1, 2 on top of 1, etc) doesn't fix it.

I thought I'd play around with some config.ini settings in TW:

After my last exit, with a side by side layout of 1-2, this was position settings stored for the clipboard pop-up:

Code: Select all

[clipview]
pos.ws=0
pos.Left=2908
pos.Top=399
pos.Width=432
pos.Height=149
maxsize=100
text=p:def
Placement=4
Note, pos.left is set at 2908. At first I thought that seeing my Display 1 is 2160 wide, I thought to dial the pos.left setting back to 2250. Then set the Placement to 5 ("Previous position")

Code: Select all

[clipview]
pos.ws=0
pos.Left=2250
pos.Top=399
pos.Width=432
pos.Height=149
maxsize=100
text=p:def
Placement=5
And this is what we get:
2017-02-16 (13)_resize.jpg
2017-02-16 (13)_resize.jpg (540.89 KiB) Viewed 3451 times
Which is preferable for my current setup.

Of course, with Placement set to 5 ("Previous position"), this means the pop-up placement will always display on Display 2 in the same place, even when TW and my word processor are both appearing on Display 1, which is not preferable.

If I rearrange the Display layout so 2 is above 1, rather than beside it, the "pos.left" and "pos.top" settings need to be adjusted accordingly, to get the pop-up to display within Display 2. The "Upper left corner" preference for placement, doesn't seem to work when 2 is above 1.

So for a side-by-side extended desktop display layout, the current but inelegant workaround is for TW preferences to be set for clipboard placement of "Upper left corner", even though this does not end up anywhere near the upper left corner of Display 2 when TW is on Display 1. It at least is appears within the screen viewing area of Display 2, for my current extended desktop layout. And it will also work when both TW and my word processor are on the same Display, whether 1 or 2.

But, there are a few other more preferable alternatives.

For a particular setup (such as mine), where scaling is not disabled on high DPI settings, and where there are two monitors, one being a high DPI display and he other a lower resolution display,

1. With a Placement=4 setting, ("Current position of mouse"), there needs to be an auto limit put on the "pos.left" and "pos-top" figures in the config.ini, so the placement of the popup will be as close as possible to the cursor, but not go beyond the outside border of the lower resolution display. (it would be preferred if the limit be calculated and set automatically upon start up of TW)

2. With a Placement=5 setting ("Previous position"), there needs to be an auto limit put on the "pos.left" and "pos-top" figures in the config.ini, so the placement of the popup will not go beyond the outside border of the lower resolution display, regardless of the last position of the pop-up. (it would be preferred if the limit be calculated and set automatically upon start up of TW)

3. For the corner placements 1 and 3 (Lower left and Upper left), I found if I put in pos.left=1920 [the width of Display 2 resolution, in my case 1920 dpi] and pos.top=1080 (the height of my display, 1080dpi) then I get the pop-up to display in the respective left corners of Display 2 as expected. So, there needs to be an auto insert of the width of Display 2 (the lower resolution monitor) into the "pos.left=" and height into "pos.top=" settings, and for that to persist in the case of left corners. At the moment, when I shut down TW, it reverts to something like pos.left=2160 and pos.top=927.

4. For the corner placements 0 and 2 (Lower right and Upper right), I found if I put in to the pos.left=1920 and pos.top=0 then I get the pop-up to display in the respective right corners of Display 2 as expected. So, there needs to be an auto insert of the width of Display 2 (the lower resolution monitor) into the "pos.left=" and a "0" into the "pos.top=" settings, and for that to persist in the case of right corners.

Not sure if this is they way to go, as it doesn't take into account the possibility of the desktop being extended across more than two displays. But just giving you some food for thought based on my own case here.

Will await Costas' input.

Thanks.
PaulC

csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hi All,
i tested this and Paul is correct. This is a bug and, I am sorry (and kind of embarrassed to admit), hard to resolve. I already spent time to repeat and resolve but i failed.
The problem is that windows translate the position of the popup (CM) window according to the dpi of the monitor it is being displayed, by taking into account the dpi where the main window is running... I am not sure why they do this, obviously they are trying to be clever.

I don't think i can resolve this easily, sorry
Costas
engellion

Post by engellion »

Thanks Costas.

So for now I guess I'll just stick to the workaround as mentioned -- set clipboard pop-up "Placement" to "Upper left". The pop-up at least appears on monitor 2. Just not as expected.

Blessings,
Paul.
PaulC

engellion

Post by engellion »

Hi Costas,

If it is any help, I notice that when TW is open but MINIMIZED on Monitor 1, the clipboard pop-up behaves as expected on Monitor 2. The pop-up "placement", appears in the right place at the right resolution for Monitor 2, including when set to display at "Current position of mouse".

So this is the best workaround for me at the moment. At least I can leave the "placement" setting at my preferred "position" for all workflows involving TW (whether I'm using a single display or multiple displays). When I need to change my focus to TW on Monitor 1, it's just one click to RESTORE the window from the Taskbar.

Blessings
PaulC

csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

This is because, when minimized, windows does not assume the main window to be on the primary display...