Notes / References on Multiple Verses Spanning Chapters

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
philipwsuh

Notes / References on Multiple Verses Spanning Chapters

Post by philipwsuh »

Hello TheWord admins / community - I've used this software for a Greek NT class and was hoping to expand usage of this as a "one-stop" Bible / personal reference resource. After searching the forums, I cannot determine whether a specific feature / method exists - multi-verse reference that crosses chapters. For example:

Scenario #1 - I'd like to make notes on the topic of circumcision that references multiple verses / passages across the Bible (i.e. Genesis 17:14; Romans 2:25-29; Galatians 5:6; Galatians 6:15). This is akin to systematic theology notes.
Scenario #2 - I'd like to make notes on a passage that spans multiple chapters within the same book (i.e. Matthew 5-7 Sermon on the Mount). This is akin to say sermon prep.
Scenario #3 - Once I've made the above notes / references, I'd like to see them whenever I across the referenced verse in the "Bible view."

From the standard features:
-"Subject notes" fulfill #1 and 2 but not #3
-"Verse lists" partially fulfill #1 and #2 (cannot make notes) but not #3
-"Verse notes" fulfill #3 but not #1 and 2 (b/c they are cross-chapter)

Can anyone advise if there are workarounds for the need expressed above and/or if I am missing something from the standard functionality? Your help would be much appreciated. Thank you!
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Notes / References on Multiple Verses Spanning Chapters

Post by csterg »

Hello Philip and welcome,
You already found out all the available 'public' features.
Verse lists are out of the questions, they are irrelevant, they are only list of verses.

What you missed here (and you did because it is a 'private feature') is the 'hybrid' modules where you can combine 'Subject notes', e.g. arbitrary subjects, but you can link any subject (with whatever topic it has), to one or more verse ranges. But this link is internal and it can be made only with a 3rd party tool or script. The NIC commentaries (paid ones) are made like that: their topics are arbitrary and span whatever chapters they need to, but they are properly linked to whatever chapter they need to.

Unfortunately there is no interface from within theWord to do exactly what you ask for, although as a function it is supported internally,
Costas
JG

Post by JG »

Costas,
another possibility would have been the indexing of the references. I proposed the idea about seven years ago... I know and understand times have been challenging for you getting this done, but let us hope it can be put to the top of the list, as it would be ideal for this case wouldn't it? Bible Analyzer and Swordsearcher have it now.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

You are correct, and this would be even better (and i know i have said i would do this)
Leoram

Post by Leoram »

1+ to this feature request.
Leoram