Word STudy in theWord

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
JerryWhite

Word STudy in theWord

Post by JerryWhite »

Using Logos Bible software (and I believe eSword also) I can do a search on a word and find out how many different Greek or Hebrew words translate to that word. (ie: there are four different Greek words for 'love'). Is there any way to do that within theWord? It is really helpful when doing an in-depth word study and saves time checking each usage in Strongs/Thayers, etc.
engellion

Re: Word STudy in theWord

Post by engellion »

JerryWhite wrote:Using Logos Bible software (and I believe eSword also) I can do a search on a word and find out how many different Greek or Hebrew words translate to that word. (ie: there are four different Greek words for 'love'). Is there any way to do that within theWord? It is really helpful when doing an in-depth word study and saves time checking each usage in Strongs/Thayers, etc.
It is not so straight forward in theWord. There are a couple of ways to replicate this feature. It is not as pretty as Logos, but it may save you time.

1. Sync Bible View with Synonym Modules in Book View

To do this, I use a couple of Synonym modules. They don't discuss every word, but the most significant are treated. You could grab these from http://www.wordmodules.com

"Girdlestone, Robert Baker - Synonyms of the Old Testament"
http://www.wordmodules.com/the-word-mod ... testament/

"Girdlestone's Synonyms of the Old Testament (Dictionary format) 2"
http://www.wordmodules.com/the-word-mod ... ry-format/

Trench's "The “Enhanced” Synonyms of the New Testament (Updated 2016) 3.0"
http://www.wordmodules.com/the-word-modules/file/1146-the-“enhanced”-synonyms-of-the-new-testament-updated-2016/

Set these up in a Book Window and sync the view to the Bible View. Then when you run a search on the Bible, click on the word in the Bible view and the Synonym module will display the entry if there is one for that word.

2. Search desired word in Greek or Hebrew Lexicons, or Synonym Modules

You can choose to run a Book Search on the word of interest, such as "love", in an individual Book Module (a Lexicon (Dictionary) or in a book of Synonyms (Book)), or create a Set of Lexicons or Books that you can run a word search on.

For example, open up a Book View and display a Lexicon (e.g. Mickelson's Enhanced Strong's "M-Strong" module)
Open a Book Search View
Click on the Gear wheel in this view, and make sure the Search Topic Content is checked (if you are searching a Lexicon) and that "whole word only" is checked.
Run a search on "love"
The results will display links to each Strong's Number in the Lexicon that contains "love" in the entry under that number.

You'll end up with quite a few more hits than would be desired, but that is where the synonym modules will help to cut down the list. The M-Strong module has an extra advantage of listing the "Compare" and "See also" entries for each definition where applicable.

Here's a screen shot of this in operation. I've got both things happening -- a Lexicon Search and a Synonym module linked to the Bible View. Clicking on a Greek or English word in the Bible View will open the entry (if it exists) in the Synonym module.

Lexicon Search and Synonym Sync.PNG
Lexicon Search and Synonym Sync.PNG (1.06 MiB) Viewed 3278 times
PaulC

Check out YouTube for theWord Bible Software Tutorial Series 1
A series of introductory video tutorials for theWord Bible Software
keyuhui

Post by keyuhui »

If I understand your question correctly, this attached module may be what you are looking for.

I made this module a few years back (exactly how I made it is a little fuzzy, but I remember it was a pretty complicated process that involved MS Word, Excel and several customize macros). The module is a dictorary module with entries for almost all content based words in the English KJV (words like "and", "the", "a", etc). When you click on (or mouse over, depeding on your settings) the english word in the bible window, the dictionary module will display a list of all the Hebrew words that have been translated into that English word, followed by a list of all the Greek words that have been translated into that English word. Below each Hebrew/Greek word is a list of the scripture references where that Hebrew word underlies the English word in question. The Hebrew and Greek words are listed according to frequency of occurance with the most commonly used entries appearing first.

Needless to say, scripture references where the Hebrew/Greek word is translated into a different English word are not included. To view the other ways a particular Hebrew/Greek word has been translated, set your strong's number default dictionary to KJV Concordance, then you simply click on (or mouse over) the strongs number for that word and you will be able to see a list of all the passages where that underlying Hebrew/Greek word occurs.

I think I made this document by extracting information from the KJV Concordance module and reformatting it to meet my needs. After seeing this post, I was reminded of what a cool and useful module this is, and made me regret not sharing it with oterh sooner...I hope it's useful to someone out there.

If what I said doesn't make sense, let me know and I will try to explain better.
JG

Post by JG »

You must have forgot to give a link or attach the module :?
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
keyuhui

Post by keyuhui »

opps...I though the file attached successfully, it turns out the file is too big..

Any suggestions?
JG

Post by JG »

A link to Dropbox, OneDrive... etc
Also from withing theWord module properties you could prepare for distribution and then zip the module
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
keyuhui

Post by keyuhui »

I live in a country where those type of services are blocked :cry: ...how about if I email it to you and you post it?
keyuhui

Post by keyuhui »

I uploaded teh modules to wordmodules.com

http://www.wordmodules.com/the-word-mod ... ictionary/
JG

Post by JG »

It would be helpful to Josh Bond's site if you were to put an identifier (15 random digits without spaces will do) so that the module will appear properly on his downloads from within theWord when we link with Add Titles.
[edit]digits not numbers
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
keyuhui

Post by keyuhui »

done...I didn't realize that was necessary :D