Search bypassing verses

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
rdwray

Search bypassing verses

Post by rdwray »

I did a search with "I not It not If not Isaac" and 1Chr 1:28 was skipped which contains "Isaac" and "Ishmael". Apparently any verse that contains a word that is being eliminated in a search, the whole verse is eliminated even though it contains the word you are searching for.
Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
“For My yoke [is] easy and My burden is light.”
JG

Re: Search bypassing verses

Post by JG »

So "I not It not If not Isaac" is only searching for verses that contain "I" and don't contain "It", "If", "Isaac", so the search result is ok.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
rdwray

Post by rdwray »

Don't follow this, If I am searching for a verse that contains Ishmael and not Isaac, why would it not find the verse containing Ishmael? If it is eliminating the verse because I do not want Isaac, then it is also eliminating Ishmael by proxy.
Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
JG

Post by JG »

I don't see Ishmael in your search term
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
rdwray

Post by rdwray »

I wanted to eliminate Isaac and not Ishmael, read my original post.
JG

Post by JG »

1Chr 1:28 does not contain "I" which is required by your search terms

Sorry I assumed you are in the KJV
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
rdwray

Post by rdwray »

Oops, I guess in this case I should have stated NKJV - my apologies.
JG

Post by JG »

Check your original post. What are you searching for?
There is no "I" in 1Chr 1:28 in NKJV.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
rdwray

Post by rdwray »

Uncheck "Whole words only".
Do as search for "I not Isaac" and see if you get 1Chr 1:28

EDIT: If I am searching for "I", I should get Ishmael - right?
JG

Post by JG »

Do as search for "I not Isaac" and see if you get 1Chr 1:28

But that verse contains Isaac, and the search says in part "not Isaac", so I don't get a hit.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
rdwray

Post by rdwray »

Right, so how do you eliminate Isaac from a search and still get Ishmael? Can't be done so the search is being done for verses rather than words making it not possible to search for words when "not" is used.
JG

Post by JG »

If you want verses with just Isaac in them simple use Isaac not Ishmael
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
rdwray

Post by rdwray »

Not what I want, I want all names that begin with "I" and as the searching progresses, I eliminate each name that is found with "not"; here is my last search in Chronicles:

I not It not If not Isaac not Ishmael not Ishbak not Israel not Israelite not Iram not Ishi not Ibhar not Igal not Ishma not Ishbah not Izhar not Iddo not Issachar not Ishhod not Imnah not Ishvah not Ishvi not Imna not Imrah not Ispah not Ishmerai not Ishpan not Iphdeiah not Imri not Ibneiah not Immer not Ilai not Isshiah not Izrahite

There is no "I", "J" or "K" in Hebrew, so every name that begins with those letters is mistranslated and this is how I am coordinating the result:

"Isaac" "Yitschaq" (H3327).
"Ishmael" "Yishmael" (H3458).

Once I have done the Strong's, I don't want to find that name again and have to search through hundreds of verses to find a new one to work with. There are some names that cannot be eliminated from the search because they are the beginning of other names such as "Ir".
rdwray

Post by rdwray »

On the same note, some names only appear once in the Bible and if, say Isaac is in the same verse after elimination, then the other name will be missed.
JG

Post by JG »

I don't see how you can do this with a boolean search on verses.
What is your goal?
Are you changing the names to the transliterated Hebrew? in the .ont file
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software