Hyperlink

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
CSK

Hyperlink

Post by CSK »

How do I establish a hyperlink from one word in a verse to another verse? I have tried to read the help file on hyperlink, but i am not understanding. I am using the beginner configuration. If i have to use the book view to get hyperlinks, how do i get the bible i am using in bible view to show up in book view?
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Hyperlink

Post by csterg »

Not sure what you are trying to accomplish.
CSK

Post by CSK »

Here is an example of what I am trying to accomplish: I want to get a good grasp of the Pauline Epistles, which need to be read with a good understanding of Torah. As Peter said in 2 Peter 3:16, Paul refers to the Torah expecting the reader to know it well. Most modern Christians have never been adequately taught Torah. Peter called those people "untaught and unstable" and therefore do not understand Paul with the result that they "distort...to their own destruction...." Paul's teaching.

If I can select a word or phrase in the Pauline epistle, then hyperlink to a scripture where he defined the context of that topic, or where the subject is discussed more completely, I think I will be better able to instruct myself and others in the true meaning of Paul's teachings.

The references provided in Bible view would work for this if I could key the appropriate reference to the word or phrase, but although I can color parts of the text, I cannot color the reference. I need to select the word or phrase that I want to clarify and somehow present the clarifying scripture. w hyperlink should provide that capability. When I read how to use a hyperlink in the help, it says that hyperlinks only work in book view. Therefore, I think I need to bring up the Bible version I am using for my study in the Book View. If so, how do I bring up a Bible instance in Book View?

I hope this clarifies what I am trying to accomplish.

Thanks for your help.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

I understand.
You cannot do exactly what you want to do, but even so it would probably not be the best method.

I would suggest that you use a user-commentary. You will have a topic for each verse you want to make a comment. In the book view editor, you are free to write the comments you want, create hyperlinks in words, etc.

The Bible view is not the place to do that
Costas
CSK

Post by CSK »

Do you mean that I should put both sides of a hyperlink into the Book View? I haven't figured out how to get a Bible version into book view. The help refers to using the Book View for a Bible version, but not how to get it there that I can find. Are the purchasable modules how that is accomplished?
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

CSK wrote:Do you mean that I should put both sides of a hyperlink into the Book View? I haven't figured out how to get a Bible version into book view. The help refers to using the Book View for a Bible version, but not how to get it there that I can find. Are the purchasable modules how that is accomplished?
Hi CSK,

You may look at the Treasury of Scripture Knowledge available here to get an idea: http://www.theword.net/index.php?downlo ... &l=english

Also, just to make sure you know, you can make cross-references to verses that are available in the Bible View. I know that doesn't do exactly what you want as it's at the verse, and not word or phrase level, but may be a viable solution along with Costas' idea.
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Jeff wrote: You may look at the Treasury of Scripture Knowledge available here to get an idea: http://www.theword.net/index.php?downlo ... &l=english
Or just download it from within the word: Add Titles>Official theWord Repository>Commentaries>Treasury of Scripture Knowledge

I always forget about this feature, it's only been there for ages, in the beta at least, and I think the official?

Anyway, I think the TSK will show you pretty much what Costas had in mind, and it's free, and you can make your own similar commentary.
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

CSK wrote:Do you mean that I should put both sides of a hyperlink into the Book View? I haven't figured out how to get a Bible version into book view. The help refers to using the Book View for a Bible version, but not how to get it there that I can find. Are the purchasable modules how that is accomplished?
Apart from the other suggestions.
The idea is that you copy what you want in the Book view yourself and make your comments there.
CSK

Post by CSK »

I found the tutorials very helpful. They are available on the Help Tab.